New 2016 Aston Martin 'DB11' turbo spied with Merc S-class dials, switchgear

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: New 2016 Aston Martin 'DB11' turbo spied with Merc S-class dials, switchgear

Thanks

New 2016 Aston Martin 'DB11' turbo spied with Merc S-class dials, switchgear

We've already uncovered proof that Aston Martin's DB9 successor due in late 2016 will be turbocharged - and today we can confirm that the 'DB11' will use Mercedes-Benz electrical architecture, including S-class-sourced digital instruments and switchgear.

CAR magazine's spies have nosed inside the cabin and uncovered electronic dials taken straight from a Merc as well as a Comand interface rotary controller and switches for heating, chassis settings and more. Gaydon has already confirmed its partnership with Daimler would include sharing electrical architecture - long an Aston Martin weakness - and here's the proof.

Note that this prototype has many Mercedes systems strapped in place, somewhat haphazardly in the case of the HVAC heating and ventilation switches lashed horizontally by the passenger's knee; we anticipate that in production they will be 'Astonised' to include bespoke British graphics, look and feel. But their origin is undisputably German.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...ife-after-db9/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bronx13 For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (07-01-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New 2016 Aston Martin 'DB11' turbo spied with Merc S-class dials, switchgear

New AMG engines and a new interior + AM's style= a perfection
    Awesome news!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bronx13 For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (07-01-2015)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: New 2016 Aston Martin 'DB11' turbo spied with Merc S-class dials, switchgear

Production interior won't look anything like that, but it'll be interesting to see how the S Class electric architecture will be integrated into a British car.

Exterior should look fantastic, par for Aston.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (07-01-2015)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Production interior won't look anything like that, but it'll be interesting to see how the S Class electric architecture will be integrated into a British car.

Exterior should look fantastic, par for Aston.
    Yes, not a final version, but it's good to know that Mercedes is involved)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bronx13 For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bronx13 View Post
    Yes, not a final version, but it's good to know that Mercedes is involved)
    Absolutely agreed. Nothing bad can come out of having Mercedes involved in making a high end interior.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Absolutely agreed. Nothing bad can come out of having Mercedes involved in making a high end interior.
    Really? Nothing? Okay...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Really? Nothing? Okay...
    Okay, you want to play that game?

Name me three interiors below $200,000 that beat the S Class. And to make it even more fun, name ANY American car interior at any price point that shames the S Class.

Can't? Thanks for playing!
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (07-02-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

A great example of how true consolidation in the auto industry isn't the only way to go. Aston benefits from Mercedes experience and volume for top-notch interior electronics, and Aston can focus their energy on other aspects of their car. If the switchgear and interface are modified or even fully unique, this becomes transparent for the customer. Very smart move!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Back!
    Thanks

Name me three interiors below $200,000 that beat the S Class. And to make it even more fun, name ANY American car interior at any price point that shames the S Class.

I get why that would see to be the most obvious answer to this tie in, but I'll bite. Mercedes does expensive very, very well in a 'carved from a solid piece of granite with no frills whatsoever' kind of way. But, ask them to throw a little opulence into the mix and you seem at least as likely to get something that looks like a cross between Darth Vader's bathroom and a Miami cathouse as you are to get something that smacks of old world British regality. If the powers that be at AM can keep Mercedes influence to a supplier role the whole scenario potentially works out well because you have the best of both worlds, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case. Just a feeling I have about the future of AM and their new German buddy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to syr74 For This Useful Post:

LetsRace (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Really? That's the way you are going to answer? So much for reading...

I never compared the interior of the S Class with another vehicle. I only asked how can you expect perfection from something automotive just because Mercedes is involved. Yes the S class has very nice interior, bit it has its problems and they are well known in the Mercedes community. Squeaky sounds from around the cabin and a glitchyand sometime unresponsive Command system are problems well known and even have with bulletins running.

Talk to your Doctor about mgescuro's syndrome, don't ignore the symptoms. Douchey behavior is possible.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

To my discredit I didn't go read the full article, but the video sounds like the new Aston will retain a V-12 of some kind versus dialing back to a twin-turbo V-8. Some version of Mercedes' V-12, but I'm guessing they will use a twin-turbo setup like MB. That should lead to a considerable performance increase over the current cars, which sound beautiful but that 5.9L just doesn't have the performance of the competitors and hasn't had it for years. And frankly that's my only real issue with Astons these days. But I do still wonder, despite Daimler apparently having no interest, if DAG would eventually benefit from just acquiring AM. I don't know that a company like AM will last all that much longer without becoming part of a larger group, but perhaps I'm wrong. But perhaps not. Over the years DAG has had an engine role in Pagani, and Pagani remains independent AFAIK (AM is corporate owned, but not part of an auto group if I have my facts right).

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    A great example of how true consolidation in the auto industry isn't the only way to go. Aston benefits from Mercedes experience and volume for top-notch interior electronics, and Aston can focus their energy on other aspects of their car. If the switchgear and interface are modified or even fully unique, this becomes transparent for the customer. Very smart move!
    We see how Aston benefits but I'm not sure long term how Daimler could not benefit from simply owning Aston. The Aston Martin intender is probably in a rather different position than one looking for a high-end Mercedes, AMG or otherwise. So MB can have buyers that would be interested in either, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
    I get why that would see to be the most obvious answer to this tie in, but I'll bite. Mercedes does expensive very, very well in a 'carved from a solid piece of granite with no frills whatsoever' kind of way. But, ask them to throw a little opulence into the mix and you seem at least as likely to get something that looks like a cross between Darth Vader's bathroom and a Miami cathouse as you are to get something that smacks of old world British regality. If the powers that be at AM can keep Mercedes influence to a supplier role the whole scenario potentially works out well because you have the best of both worlds, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case. Just a feeling I have about the future of AM and their new German buddy.
    At this point I'm highly confident that Mercedes will have no notable role in the way this Aston presents itself stylistically, outside or in.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

syr74 (07-04-2015)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information