Mercedes' Mission: Beat BMW and Audi

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Mercedes' Mission: Beat BMW and Audi

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Mercedes' Mission: Beat BMW and Audi

Mercedes plans offensive to become world's top premium car brand
    Zetsche issues call to staff to beat BMW, Audi
    Automotive News
    July 31, 2011

FRANKFURT -- Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche says the company's Mercedes-Benz brand will challenge rival German premium brands BMW and Audi for the position as the world's best-selling and most profitable luxury carmaker.

In a rallying call to employeees, Zetsche admits that Mercedes is being outpaced by rivals, but says: "Our competitors' success should provide us with additional motivation."

Zetsche issued the challenge in a letter to Daimler employees, a copy of which was obtained by Automotive News Europe.

He writes: "Some of our competitors are now growing faster and more profitably than we are. Granted, those are just snapshots in time and should not be overestimated. After all, many of our best new products are yet to come."

Mercedes lags rivals

Luxury car makers are enjoying booming sales, fuelled by growing wealth in China and a rebound in the United States, but Mercedes' growth is lagging its German rivals.

In the first six months, Mercedes car brand global sales increased 9.7 percent to 610,531.
    BMW brand sales grew 17.8 percent to 689,861,
    while Audi saw sales rise by 17.7 percent to 652,970.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1TjEkpG8l
    Last edited by PistonsFan; 07-31-2011 at 06:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Mercedes' Mission: Beat BMW and Audi

Mercedes design lags both BMW and Audi, and the brand has an image of traditional luxury, your grandfather's luxury brand if you will. Younger people are probably more attracted to BMW and Audi than Mercedes.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Mercedes design lags both BMW and Audi, and the brand has an image of traditional luxury, your grandfather's luxury brand if you will. Younger people are probably more attracted to BMW and Audi than Mercedes.
    I remember a time when Cadillac was once "grandfather's luxury" brand and looks like Mercedes seems to face the same music. Looks like time are changed a lot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I think Mercedes is in a good place right now and can easily take on BMW and Audi...

The main reason why Mercedes is probably viewed as being grand fathers car is because it doesn't have as sporty of an image as BMW or Audi. BMW pushes the tag line ultimate driving machine (even when its just a tag line) and Audi seems to do a great job of making a sporty automobile.

Here is where I can see Mercedes potentially getting into trouble here, they have a customer base who buys a Mercedes for what it is. These people didn't buy a BMW or a Audi but instead purchased a Mercedes Benz, if they change what they are what happens to those customers. I am sure that most will buy a Mercedes regardless of what it becomes as is always you have your die hard fans.

How do they maintain their very luxurious image in the US while at the same time build a sporty one?. Why is its line of AMG models (which most of their lineup has an AMG model) not doing the trick. I find that out of the German 3 Mercedes offers the most complete line up of vehicles in the US.

Maybe they should focus the C class and E class as well as anything within that size group on sport. While things over that size group should focus on luxury, that would be my way of handling this.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I thought merecedes was doing quite well with its AMG and AMG black series products.

I'm not overly enthusiast about mercedes....I tend to think they are overpriced...but the value equation is getting better..

Their wicked fast !!!
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I remember a time when Cadillac was once "grandfather's luxury" brand and looks like Mercedes seems to face the same music. Looks like time are changed a lot.
    For me MB was always grandpa's luxury car. I may be 25 years away from buying one, if ever.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Mercedes needs to hustle and get back on track for their history of dependability, innovation, and safety. They were rarely sexy cars compared to their rivals but were sales titans due to their iron clad reputation. Lexus in some ways took that spot.

I don't think this requires Mercedes to chase sportiness more than they are now or very daring designs.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

Unfortunately for long-term success, mercedees seems to be approaching this problem not by increasing the desirability of the core models, but expanding downmarket.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac

Cadillac's mission: To beat them all.
    Last edited by jgill16; 07-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information