Maybach Officially Discontinues All Models

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybach Officially Discontinues All Models

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Engelman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10ZR1/'13 XTS/'15 Escalade/

Maybach Officially Discontinues All Models

The ultra-luxe brand was never making money.

The Maybach Type 62 S (Credit: Mercedes-Benz).

Maybach, the ultra-luxe branch of Mercedes-Benz coveted by the business elite and rap stars alike, has been officially discontinued. Mercedes recently released the price list for the 2013 models of these limo-like sedans, with the price column simply stating "Discontinued" for each one of them.

No one is overly surprised to see the brand go. Shockingly, sales of the car, which goes for $376,300 all the way up to $1,380,000 for the Landulet edition, were very, very slow. The brand simply wasn't making any money. In fact, it had been reported that the company had been losing a staggering $500,000 on each model that was sold.

Sedans from the 2012 model year will still be sold, though they'll maintain the increased MSRPs slapped on by Daimler after it was known Maybach was going kaput.

Maybach had recently been giving out a $100,000 rebate to buyers in an effort to move the last ones off of dealer lots, but even such a tantalizing (and crazy) deal hasn't been enough to move them.

Read the article below:

http://autos.aol.com/article/maybach...6pLid%3D193764
    Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Re: Maybach Officially Discontinues All Models

With the downturn of the global economy, I can't say this is a surprise. Hopefully they can keep the Smart brand going- I'm sure they make money off those roller skates though!
    Get used to more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Kill Maybach... and revive the Pullman at around the same price point.
    Risky and I'm not sure the Mercedes brand name can extend that far up. But they're current top model is around $210,000 already. So we'll see...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 4,156 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Dern!

I better shuffle on down to the Maybach dealer before the leftovers are gone!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

Yet another example of how wretchedly unfocused mercedes is.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Kill Maybach... and revive the Pullman at around the same price point.
    Risky and I'm not sure the Mercedes brand name can extend that far up. But they're current top model is around $210,000 already. So we'll see...
    I could see Mercedes-Benz successfully moving a $300K Pullman. The question really is in what the product is. For the last half-decade at least the Maybach 57/62 has been a tired looking XL version of the old S-Class, which in many ways it is. It doesn't look like it's a Phantom competitor, and that's a lot of the problem. There's no pizzazz, no soul, no sense of being exotic. You have to actually be there appreciating the materials, drive, and performance to appreciate the car. But then that means you had to be giving it a chance all along, which people don't always do at ANY price range ...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

What's wrong with MB? Don't they know they NEED a flagship, an expensive exclusive image car that regular MB owners can aspire to. Who cares if they only sell a few? Who cares if they lose 1/2 million dollars on each one?
    They need to sell off Maybach to some venture capitalist who knows about luxury and image, who can finally give the Maybach the exclusivity it so badly needs. Raise the price! Charge $2 million dollar a copy! Don't sell to those lowlly MB owners until they personally meet with the VC owner, and HE will decide if the potential buyer is worthy or not.
    Make it exclusive, Get the Image right, hand-pick the lucky winners who must have a net worth of at least $100,000,000 to apply or to be under consideration! Throw the poor riffraff out of the showroom, they would stink up the place.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

^ Right: you have mercedes telling everyone the s-class is the flagship, yet above it was the supposed next-tier 57. This one costs much more but is plastered with a heinous retro-'80s 2-tone paint job. Poor product development, poor marketing, no image = failure. This ranks right up there with the Edsel and is a monstrous blow to mercedes' image.
    Last edited by balthazar; 08-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks

What's wrong with MB? Don't they know they NEED a flagship, an expensive exclusive image car that regular MB owners can aspire to. Who cares if they only sell a few? Who cares if they lose 1/2 million dollars on each one?
    They need to sell off Maybach to some venture capitalist who knows about luxury and image, who can finally give the Maybach the exclusivity it so badly needs. Raise the price! Charge $2 million dollar a copy! Don't sell to those lowlly MB owners until they personally meet with the VC owner, and HE will decide if the potential buyer is worthy or not.
    Make it exclusive, Get the Image right, hand-pick the lucky winners who must have a net worth of at least $100,000,000 to apply or to be under consideration! Throw the poor riffraff out of the showroom, they would stink up the place.

HA!

Not to mention that the dealerships should rival the swankest Dubai hotels with Brioni tuxedoed salesmen and a fountain that spews 85 Veuve Clicquot Brut.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Right now you can get a Smart for a $99 lease. They're handing them out like frisbees at a convention.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I could see Mercedes-Benz successfully moving a $300K Pullman. The question really is in what the product is. For the last half-decade at least the Maybach 57/62 has been a tired looking XL version of the old S-Class, which in many ways it is. It doesn't look like it's a Phantom competitor, and that's a lot of the problem. There's no pizzazz, no soul, no sense of being exotic. You have to actually be there appreciating the materials, drive, and performance to appreciate the car. But then that means you had to be giving it a chance all along, which people don't always do at ANY price range ...
    My assumption of the Pullman is a limousine based on the up-coming next-gen S-Class -- Essentially and extended-long wheelbase S-Class for the "entry level" Pullman.
    Call that $250,000. You could probably buy it off the shelf , so to speak or buy it bespoked. Designo interior would probably be standard.

Then you'd move upwards from there.

I would assume Pullman would fall somewhere in between Flying Spur and Phantom.
    That would also mean a standard engine coming from the S63 AMG, just to keep pace.

But youer' 100% right. There has to be a sense of presence, materials, etc etc etc. We'll see. There's a lot of heritage for Mercedes to drawn on for the Pullman.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

Lol!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    My assumption of the Pullman is a limousine based on the up-coming next-gen S-Class -- Essentially and extended-long wheelbase S-Class for the "entry level" Pullman.
    mercedes already DID this & it failed. Utterly pointless to do it again with a different nameplate.

There's a lot of heritage for Mercedes to drawn on for the Pullman.
    Yeah; not really. In the U.S., the name was never big & is all but unknown/forgotten.
    Arguably, there was much more heritage to have drawn from with 'maybach'- hell; mercedes snatched the entire history of the original (unrelated) company on their website when it came out, all sorts of pics of grand touring sedans with sweeping fenders that had zero lineage with M-B.
    Piss-poor marketing & design doomed the 'experiment' from the start- no clue how to pull it off.
    Going to take a long time to recover face from this failure.

Thanks

I'll bet you'll hardly hear about this in mainstream media, if it had been GM that had to do something like this, it would be on the news 24/7.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

It would be interesting from within MB with full access to all the info, to evaluate 'what really happened'.

From the outside, one wonders about all the decision making.......... going in.

Personally, a few things I want to know about -

Projected sales volume and profits and more importantly the assumptions behind it.

What was done to evaluate somewhat the same kind of program - but not run within MB showrooms -

If that was not considered or was rightfully - eliminated early on, then one wonders what would have happened with a less 'aggressive' program in terms of pricing - and then what would have been adjusted for that.

Somewhere in this planning process there was a massive amount of non reality in terms of how it all fit together.

In some ways, the timing of the whole thing - was off in a crippling kinda' way due to unforeseen external events - that also seemed to have no 'safety' provision provided for.

The other thing about that is that the needed definition of a modern Maybach type product changed, and changed rapidly.

So..... with the kind of retrospect that only perfect hindsight can provide.......

1. ) You can make a case easily - just better to not have gone in with it in the first place. A nd that is not just in terms of what actually happened it also is in terms of a perfect play via the benefit of hindsight

2. ) You can, or better said perhaps - could make a case for a different kind of Maybach program - and there very probably would be more than one legitimate interpretation of that and definitely more than one 'style'.

3. ) - do 'something else'.

And under that ...... not missing out on Bentley or RR would surely figure in somehow - either could have been a natural and more so than with VAG and BMW.

( VW's play with all this is especially the gift that will just keep on giving - @ MB's expense )

If you were hellbent on bringing Maybach - and along the lines of the way they actually did, then given all the rest and given what happened with all the 'other' rest, - the pricing in terms of what people would actually pay versus consideration of production cost - was way off and way too rich..... and really represents way too much of an 'instant' uber ultra premium approach - for product types about to get swamped by new realities and preferences.

So really, sometime much earlier was also required.

Or, some kind of an MB +1 or (+1 and +2) rather than + (5 +)

One might be tempted to wonder - if the approach had somehow incorporated more of 'hey we need to be careful while we grow this thing' - starting from here -

Anyway, do distinctly remember thinking when announced ...... it was a useable idea but the details of it seemed nonsensical especially the pricing range.

The other thing was - they had better and more pressing needs in terms of what they could have been doing with their money - that also would have been much more profitable - and again even in terms of a much stronger hypothetical Maybach program.

Since so much of this overlaps with the Daimler / Chrysler story ...... an easy one would have involved a totally different and much better funded approach with all that although 'less' glamorous over all - to some ie those who really don't have an ability whatsoever in terms of the biz.

Made prefect sense looking back - as long as you skipped over the bits and pieces that didn't fit..........made no sense looking forward essentially.

----

From time to time ..... they have for some .... made decent used cars......

Finally do wonder how much of this Maybach story was due to more of Goldman's polluted and corrupted 'advice' to MB.

The massive **** up this represents has Goldman written all over it - totally their style of automotive BS.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 08-18-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information