A Look At The New Mercedes CL-Class Parking Guidance System

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Look At The New Mercedes CL-Class Parking Guidance System

Thanks

They Literally Park Themselves!

I thought these parallel parking systems were meant to assist the driver, setting things up while we do it manually. I had no idea the cars literally park themselves! Man, this is amazing. My first time seeing it was with the Lexus LS but I found a video of a BMW demonstration as well.

Lexus: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkEu-PdVlK0

BMW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRJ3DLyDCb0&NR
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 08-31-2006 at 11:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: WTF. They Literally Park Themselves!

I'm scared, not only because the idea of computer controlled cars worry me, but because everyone, not matter how bad a driver, will be able to pass the driving liscense test if they no longer need to prallel park to pass.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Now thats an "invovation".

Be warned y'all. I know you guys don't like when I put the word "perception" in quotes, but my big thing now is "innovation". Just be warned y'all. You'll be seeing "innovation" in quotes allot from me now, in addition to "perception".
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    I'm scared, not only because the idea of computer controlled cars worry me, but because everyone, not matter how bad a driver, will be able to pass the driving liscense test if they no longer need to prallel park to pass.
    We don't have to do parallel parking for a driver's license down here in Florida.
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmodys
    We don't have to do parallel parking for a driver's license down here in Florida.
    Wow, and I thought the Maryland test was easy
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    Wow, and I thought the Maryland test was easy
    The test goes like this:
    You go to the DMV, get in your car with the driving tester. You have to back up and look behind you correctly, pull out onto the main road, go into a neighborhood, do a three-point turn and go back. Signalling at every single time you turn the steering wheel enough to turn the car, of course.

I'm 14 and I can do a three-point turn with no problem, the test is that easy.
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmodys
    The test goes like this:
    You go to the DMV, get in your car with the driving tester. You have to back up and look behind you correctly, pull out onto the main road, go into a neighborhood, do a three-point turn and go back. Signalling at every single time you turn the steering wheel enough to turn the car, of course.

I'm 14 and I can do a three-point turn with no problem, the test is that easy.
    The Maryland test is like that, but with parallel parking. One really has to be an idiot to fail.
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

Thanks

A Look At The New Mercedes CL-Class Parking Guidance System

Source: www.emercedesbenz.com

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
    Stuttgart, Aug 28, 2006

The technology behind the new Mercedes-Benz CL-Class - Parking assistance: New Mercedes coupé uses radar to help the driver park

A newly developed parking guidance system is making its series production debut in the Mercedes-Benz CL-Class this autumn. The system uses radar technology to help the driver find a suitable parking space and park the vehicle.

When driving past at a speed of up to around 40 km/h, side-mounted radar sensors in the front and rear bumpers of the new luxury coupé measure whether the parking spaces on the driver and front passenger sides are sufficiently large for the vehicle. Once the system has found a suitable parking space on the front passenger side, a blue "P" symbol appears in the instrument cluster if the vehicle speed is below 16 km/h. Parking spaces on the driver’s side are shown if the indicator on that side is operated.

Once the driver has stopped the coupé in the position shown on the display and engaged reverse gear, the display shows a symbolic, bird’s-eye-view representation of the parking situation. Coloured guide lines show the driver how best to park: a red line indicates the current steering angle, while a yellow line shows the steering angle required for parking. The driver now turns the steering wheel until the two lines coincide, and can then begin to reverse slowly. As soon as the ideal and actual steering angles coincide, the guide lines on the display change to green. When reversing, an acoustic signal informs the driver when it is time to countersteer.

During the parking manoeuvre, the guidance system continuously monitors the steering angle and vehicle position. If the driver stops before reaching the recommended position, for example, the system automatically recalculates the ideal steering angle for smooth parking.

The new radar-based parking guidance system, which will be optionally available for the CL-Class from the end of 2006, works in tandem with the Parking Assist feature familiar from the S-Class. This system uses radar to measure the distance to obstacles in front of and behind the car, informing the driver by means of the display and an intermittent acoustic warning.
    Copyright © 2006, DaimlerChrysler AG

If you're the type that finds the process of parallel parking tedious, several automakers, including both BMW and Lexus, have developed systems to make the task easier, even to the point that some vehicles now park themselves.

Today, Mercedes has released details of their foray into the world of parking assistance - a new parking guidance system, set to make its debut as an option on the new CL-Class. Here's a quick summary of how it works...

First, the parking guidance system automatically uses side mounted radar sensors to monitor whether the space on either the driver or passenger side is adequate to park the vehicle. If it is, the dashboard displays a "P" icon, alerting the driver to the fact a suitable space is available.

Once the driver stops the vehicle and changes to reverse gear, the instrument cluster then displays a bird's eye view of the parking situation along with guide lines showing how best to park. Red lines indicate the current steering angle, while yellow lines show the steering angle needed. As the driver turns the steering wheel and the two lines coincide, they then combine to form green lines, alerting the driver that he is now in the appropriate angle to reverse.

Finally, as the driver is reversing, an audible signal gives notice when it's time to countersteer, perfectly situating them and their new coupe in that ordinarily too-tight-to-fit-in parking space.

Splendid.

As already stated, the new parking guidance system will be available on the new CL-Class as an option, with availability starting at the end of 2006. To learn more, keep reading for the full press release.

Enjoy.
    I just want to point out that Toyota was the pioneer as the automatic parking system debuted in the Prius in 2003. However, for legal reasons it was not made available outside its home market.

The Volkswagen Futura concept car from 1990 had a 4 wheel steering system:

Toyota's system seems to differ from the MB system as the driver doesn't have to touch the steering wheel.

I've seen videos of BMW testing the automatic parking system. In another video a 7-series parks itself in a garage after the driver has stepped out of the car. That's propably the next step.

Click to watch The Ultimate Parking Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRJ3DLyDCb0&NR

Self Parking 7-Series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9VM_Ln938
    Last edited by Kowalski; 08-29-2006 at 10:12 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A Look At The New Mercedes CL-Class Parking Guidance System

That's awesome. What's next, automated hands to feed us fat Americans while we drive?

Give me a break.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giagastormer
    That's awesome. What's next, automated hands to feed us fat Americans while we drive?

Give me a break.
    How about innovation?
    Hidden Content

The Recession may be over but the Greatest Depression has only just begun.

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430
    1988 Nissan 300ZX 5 spd
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 [Sold]
    1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan [Stolen]

Knowledge + Action = Power that builds an experience which forms wisdom

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by Vintalage
    How about innovation?
    Why bother learning to drive? Just take a bus or taxi so you never have to park.

Yes some people need all the help in the world to park a car. This system is impressive but what real benefit is it? What happens if it breaks? Who will be at fault for damages to another car in the event the system fails? The driver, Mercedes?

This technology does not make a driver better rather it reduces skills which we should value. How is this innovation?

Thanks

I love MB's gauge clusters. Gorgeous. Like an aircraft cockpit.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The Prius has had that tech for a year or two now, but it was only available in Japan and Europe

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: They Literally Park Themselves!

Amazing!

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: They Literally Park Themselves!

I'm in complete shock, that is the craziest thing ever. However, I wouldn't trust it mind you. If it had a software error, not only will it not work properly, but most likely you'll be paying for more than just the system to be fixed.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information