Leipzig Motor Show: VW Golf GTD Revealed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Leipzig Motor Show: VW Golf GTD Revealed

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Leipzig Motor Show: VW Golf GTD Revealed

Volkswagen is set to introduce the world to its new Volkswagen Golf GTD at the Leipzig Motor Show in Germany. What we have here is the basic GTI package, except that the wonderful gas-powered 2.0-liter turbo engine that powers VW's latest hot hatch has been yanked in favor of a new high-performance turbo diesel engine (also displacing 2.0 liters) that offers up 168 horsepower and, just as importantly, about 260 lb-ft of torque. VW says the new drivetrain package is enough to scoot the new GTD to 60 mph in about eight seconds. European combined fuel economy is rated at 44.4 mpg (U.S.) with CO2 emissions of 139 g/km.

Press release at link: Autoblog.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Re: Leipzig Motor Show: VW Golf GTD Revealed

If diesel fuel could somehow stay in line with gas VW would sell a ton of these. Great commuter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Yes.

I am a little surprised at these initial acceleration times .

Not complaining, but they are a slower than expected, in a sense for ' probably ' 0 -100 km/hr.

Unless 'about 8 seconds' ends up meaning 7.1 - 7.5.

There was a snippet somewhere a little ways back that had it at 30% of 2009 Jetta ( YTD - thru February ? ). US sales have been the Diesel in spite of all that's working against that.

Benz has that new killer I4 - that's the one to watch it's unreal in terms of the numbers.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 03-27-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

America 123, I posted an article (thread) about VW sales for January 2009 in Canada where it showed the 80% of the Jetta's sold were TDI and that these sales totalled about 30% of all the VW sales for the month.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../03/c5198.html

We recently had another price jump at the pumps. Regular unleaded went up from about $0.78 per litre to $0.88 (at most stations across the city.) Diesel is still sitting around $0.75 (average) making it a very attractive options up here. Diesel ranges from $0.689 to $0.819 while regular unleaded ranges from $0.799 to $0.939 per litre.
    Last edited by calgaryhhr; 03-27-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Hey calgaryhhr.

Good stuff !

Thanks for posting that ( back ? ) up.

Btw, do you have a link for your thread here ?

I probably have it already, but I'd like to make sure.

However, that was not what I was referring to and for what its worth, it was outside GMI for sure.

It did most definitely say in regards to the USA.

( I'm going to go see if I saved it or not. It was vague enough that I probably didn't. Actually in something about something else - like hybrids )

Lately I have been getting burned big time with certain ' media ' ' reporting ' so now I wonder if what I had actually took yours and moved it around. ( Same in regards to some other )

Irregardless of all that, do you have a feel ( or really, ' numbers ' ) for how the TDI is doing down here in the States ?
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 03-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Here is the previous thread where I posted that initial Jan sales report for VW Canada:

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...success-74963/

I have not previously seen any sales numbers for the US. Actually, I think I've seen the sales numbers but they make no distinction between Jetta gasser and Jetta diesels.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Thanks !

Quite old but -

( Fall - September 2008 ? )

VW Says Jetta TDI Diesel Sales Even Better Than Expected

2009JettaTDIsedan750.jpgVolkswagen has big plans for the 2009 Jetta TDI, but sales of the new clean diesel model that debuted in the U.S. last month may be outstripping the company's best estimates.

"It certainly met and probably exceeded our expectations," Mark Barnes, chief operating officer of Volkswagen of America Inc., said in an interview with Bloomberg News. He wouldn't say, however, what those expections were.

Diesel Jetta sales in the U.s. last month totaled 2,417 - and the Jetta TDI didn't go on sale til Aug. 18.

Total Jetta sales for the month rose to 11,217, with the diesel model accounting for 21.5 percent. < in the first 13 days >

That could rise to 35 percent with a full month of sales in September, Barnes said.

VW has said it intends total U.S. sales of all of its models to top the1-million mark by 2018 and that diesel models will play a big part in the increase, which would more than triple last year's combined sales of the automaker's Volkswagen, Audi and Bentley models. -
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...-expected.html

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information