Lancia Mulling Monte Carlo Redux?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lancia Mulling Monte Carlo Redux?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,007 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Lancia Mulling Monte Carlo Redux?

SOURCE: http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...e-carlo-redux/

In the December 13 print edition of Autocar (hey, international mail is a little slow, and this little chestnut isn’t on their website), the UK publication posits that Lancia is mulling introducing a neo-Monte Carlo.

The mid-engined coupe was originally known as the Scorpion in the U.S., thanks to a certain Chevrolet by the same name.

If built, the model would be an integral part of the brand’s strategy to shift 300,000 units by 2010 (the automaker pushed 120,000 cars out the door in 2006). For those of you North American Lancia fans out there, however, we wouldn’t hold our breath.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,007 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Lancia Mulling Monte Carlo Redux?

Too bad they aren't coming back to North America anytime soon. I love the old Monte Carlo/037/Scorpion. It would be nice to have something like this on our shores.

But I wonder, if Lancia was thinking of having something mid-engined like this making a comeback, would a Stratos be all that far behind? Both were mid-engined.

Nice to think about if you're a Lancisti, isn't it?
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks

Better and bigger pics of the original Lancia Beta Monte Carlo:

As you all can see, it was a good looking car that you just knew it was an Italian car. Lancia Scorpion huh? That is just plain wrong!

Lancia always named their cars with letters of the Greek alphabet. GM was the wrong one to use "Monte Carlo" to describe a Coupé now in downfall in utter bland disgrace since someone at GM decided it would be a great idea, to turn the original RWD Monte Carlo...

...into a FWD dull looking 2-door Coupé for single accountants...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    someone at GM decided it would be a great idea, to turn the original RWD Monte Carlo...

...into a FWD dull looking 2-door Coupé for single accountants...
    Off topic but...

The 1990's were mostly a very dark time for styling in my book. Everything went from boxy and masculine to aerodynamic and feminine (and not in a good way like a '56 Porsche or a Solstice) - even in the interiors. The late 90's Taurus was the best (or rather worst) example of this.

Its good to see Dodge reviving the strong, masculine look in its cars like the Charger, Nitro and even the small Caliber.

Thanks

The 1990's were mostly a very dark time for styling in my book. Everything went from boxy and masculine to aerodynamic and feminine
    Ha ha ha, I really can't disagree more. Let me start with noting that I really can't understand how people can see the "gender" of styling. And, if anything, a heterosexual male should find feminine lines the most attractive...

I really enjoyed the 1990s, I like quite a lot of the cars launched then, and I can't say that of the present times, though it's getting better. The 1980s were the darkest decade for automotive styling, everything was boxy and derived of any character, and in the US the 1980s were marked by the "downsized" full-size cars, which were utterly hideous. 1990s brought a wave of fresh air and cars finally became appealing, and I'd say it was perhaps the last time America held a bit of a lead over Europe in terms of styling.

vs.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Heh ... interesting news for sure .

I have a Majorette (er, I think that is the company) model of the Lancia Monte Carlo ... it is yellow.

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
    PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
    "Now & then what might have been interferes with what might be" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'I Just Wanted You To Know'

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

In the mid seventies I had that car!

I had it built with a turbo charger, alcohol injection, forged pistons, nimonic valves, alcohol water injection...

That was a looker for sure. (at the time)

http://www.fototime.com/421B5678C440AA1/standard.jpg

That car was the one that really prompted me into a c5 corvette...

I remember that scorpion as the only car I knew that actually broke down just sitting in the garage...It was beautiful and fast (for the period) but was always undependable...The lancia stock was a snail and a piece of rolling artwork...but what a pos... At least fully modified it was fast...If I remember correctly it had 250 hp and back then it was a lot...

Never again as life is too short for that kind of nonsense..

Glad to hear they are considering bringing back a spiritual successor.

I'll take an American V8 and the reliability of a GM product anyday of the week over that foreign POS! (and I loved that car...Kept it for a very very long time....) but did I mention .....it was the biggest POS ever! Loved it though...

Happy new year and thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 12-31-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

^Is that you in the pic?
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Thats me with a beard and that was my ride.....

the scorpion was a looker from the factory but the 86 hp was waaaay under powered....

In europe the 1800 or 2 liter motor put out over 120hp which at the time was a lot..

The build motor in mine put out closer to 250 hp...and that was fun...

I had to take the A/c out though with the turbo so it was not quite as comfortable as you would think..(not that the a/c ever really worked anyway)

It did have a convertible roof though which was nice. Pretty cool meathod of rolling it into the back panel. The only bad part was eventually loosing the black side straps on the top..They were expensive and tough to replace but I did...I don't think you could find parts for that car any more...

Although once in awhile I see the Lancia Scorpion on ebay and I have a good laugh as I look....
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Sorry to go onto this topic (I hadn't seen it until now) but man that will be interesting. Lancia can't come here soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada
    Ha ha ha, I really can't disagree more. Let me start with noting that I really can't understand how people can see the "gender" of styling. And, if anything, a heterosexual male should find feminine lines the most attractive...

I really enjoyed the 1990s, I like quite a lot of the cars launched then, and I can't say that of the present times, though it's getting better. The 1980s were the darkest decade for automotive styling, everything was boxy and derived of any character, and in the US the 1980s were marked by the "downsized" full-size cars, which were utterly hideous. 1990s brought a wave of fresh air and cars finally became appealing, and I'd say it was perhaps the last time America held a bit of a lead over Europe in terms of styling.

vs.

That's because most of your countrymen would've seen in the 80s this:

or

or

That would've been 80s styling behind the Iron Curtain.
    Last edited by DanCBJMS1988; 01-24-2007 at 11:40 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information