Lamborghini to Drop Manual Transmissions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamborghini to Drop Manual Transmissions

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

MotorTrend
    July 7, 2011
    by John Carey

Maurizio Reggiani shakes his head with regret. Without a word, Lamborghini's R&D director indicates that manual transmissions have no future in his company's cars. Only a tiny fraction of customers choose a stick shift for their Gallardo, and Lamborghini's new Aventador comes with a fully automated seven-speed single-clutch transmission, and no manual transmission. Just 1 to 2 percent of the cars rolling out of the company's small Sant'Agata Bolognese factory are equipped with three pedals, Reggiani says.

A manual transmission, explains the R&D director, is a break in the electronic chain of command that harmonizes absolutely everything that happens between engine combustion chamber and tire contact patch. The only way Lamborghini can guarantee soothing smoothness in city driving or back-thumpingly explosive acceleration on a winding road is for every system in the car to be interconnected. You can't rely on a driver to always shift gears without glitches, Reggiano says. But you can count on next year's replacement for the now-8-year-old Gallardo to come only with an automated transmission.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lamborghini to Drop Manual Transmissions

Did anyone else read this and think "aren't all Lamborghini's manual?"

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac

This will upset people.LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Did anyone else read this and think "aren't all Lamborghini's manual?"
    No... This is a trend that started almost a decade ago. Ferrari is also seeing a huge percentage of their sales being automatic equipped machines, though I don't believe the percentage is as high as with Lamborghini.

It's not really hard to see why. Most of the sales of these cars, in the U.S. anyway, are to top money makers who happen to live in urban or heavily populated suburban areas. It's advantageous to operate an automatic in these areas. Combine that with the fact that less and less U.S. drivers can operate a manual transmission, and that Lamborghini has a penchant for attracting the nouveau riche, who are not necessarily true sports car enthusiasts... They buy one because it's an ostentatious statement of their wealth... And it becomes clear why the transition will be made.

I don't want to sound like I believe all Lambo owners are this way... But it's obvious from the results that this is what's happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    A manual transmission, explains the R&D director, is a break in the electronic chain of command that harmonizes absolutely everything that happens between engine combustion chamber and tire contact patch. The only way Lamborghini can guarantee soothing smoothness in city driving or back-thumpingly explosive acceleration on a winding road is for every system in the car to be interconnected. You can't rely on a driver to always shift gears without glitches, Reggiano says. But you can count on next year's replacement for the now-8-year-old Gallardo to come only with an automated transmission.
    While much of his quote may be true, there's still an element of spin here. The manual is being dropped because with such a low "take rate," it costs too much to produce. Simple as that. The article continues to state that Lambo only produces about 1,200 vehicles per year, so it's easy to see how low the number produced with manuals is if the take rate is "1 to 2" percent... The low 20's, depending on exact percentage...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,478 Times in 3,614 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Lamborghini no longer can hold its own in racing circles. Its not relevant to the car enthusiasts who wants real racing pedigree.. A Gallardo cannot keep up with a GT2 Porsche or a Z06 Corvette.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

This might be why...

It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,518 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

It's not an auto its a manual with a computer attached to change gears

No computer is better than me however at deciding when i want to be in the right gear

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    No... This is a trend that started almost a decade ago. Ferrari is also seeing a huge percentage of their sales being automatic equipped machines, though I don't believe the percentage is as high as with Lamborghini.

It's not really hard to see why. Most of the sales of these cars, in the U.S. anyway, are to top money makers who happen to live in urban or heavily populated suburban areas. It's advantageous to operate an automatic in these areas. Combine that with the fact that less and less U.S. drivers can operate a manual transmission, and that Lamborghini has a penchant for attracting the nouveau riche, who are not necessarily true sports car enthusiasts... They buy one because it's an ostentatious statement of their wealth... And it becomes clear why the transition will be made.

I don't want to sound like I believe all Lambo owners are this way... But it's obvious from the results that this is what's happening.

While much of his quote may be true, there's still an element of spin here. The manual is being dropped because with such a low "take rate," it costs too much to produce. Simple as that. The article continues to state that Lambo only produces about 1,200 vehicles per year, so it's easy to see how low the number produced with manuals is if the take rate is "1 to 2" percent... The low 20's, depending on exact percentage...
    Lambo's Magneti-Marelli E gear, and the latest ISR 7 speed are not automatics...they are manual transmissions with electronic controls. Simply put no one was buying the last gen Murcielago in manual, and the manual cars are also slower. It makes sense because it also eliminates a lot of warranty issues, and overrevs or mis shifts. The fact is these cars are far more car than the average buyer can handle, and even as an enthusiast I would not buy the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Lamborghini no longer can hold its own in racing circles. Its not relevant to the car enthusiasts who wants real racing pedigree.. A Gallardo cannot keep up with a GT2 Porsche or a Z06 Corvette.
    Lamborghini never had any real racing pedigree, in fact Ferrucio Lamborghini hated racing.

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post

No computer is better than me however at deciding when i want to be in the right gear
    I can powershift, and heel and toe downshift like a pro ...but the fact remains that even with my best efforts...I would be far slower in a car like this. No human can shift as fast, no not even powershifting ( 50-100 ms shifts) and its far easier to control a car with this kind of power.

Thanks
    My Ride

I'm not concerned with shifting faster than a computer i just want to be in the right gear at the right time , my choice not a computers

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

If only 1-2% of buyers get manuals, I can see why they're moving away from them. I bet half the Lamborghini employees cried over the decision, though.

It has toggles on the steering wheel that will raise and lower a gear for you, and unlike in a typical $25,000 car with an automatic that has this feature, in a high end vehicle it will do exactly what you're telling it to do and hold a gear no matter how hard you bounce the engine off the rev limiter.

So you can still decide which gear it's in every bit as much as with a regular manual. You just lose the sensation of changing the gear yourself.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Damnit- I guess I'm going to have to cancel my order then....LOL!
    Get used to more.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    If only 1-2% of buyers get manuals, I can see why they're moving away from them. I bet half the Lamborghini employees cried over the decision, though.

It has toggles on the steering wheel that will raise and lower a gear for you, and unlike in a typical $25,000 car with an automatic that has this feature, in a high end vehicle it will do exactly what you're telling it to do and hold a gear no matter how hard you bounce the engine off the rev limiter.

So you can still decide which gear it's in every bit as much as with a regular manual. You just lose the sensation of changing the gear yourself.
    In a road car padles make no sense - rather have a shifter

Thanks

In a road car padles make no sense - rather have a shifter
    Exactly...

Thanks though, Germeezy, I know what the E Gear tranny is... I've driven them several times. No matter how you cut it, it's not the same as shifting a true manual tranny. To me, it's more automatic than manual. That primal feeling is gone.

Honestly, I've always felt that the modern Lambos were relatively easy to handle compared to the old ones... Even easier than the ZO6 Corvettes, which all have true manuals, but to each their own... I can't afford either!

But call it what you want to call it, "real" manual trannies are gone from an Italian sports car builder and that makes me a saaaad panda...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,626 Times in 4,608 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by jgill16 View Post
    This will upset people.LOL
    Yes it will. It also means conclusively that all Lambo drivers will now rate as average or worse. Manual trannies make you a better driver, don't forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Badrinath View Post
    This might be why...

talent, talent, talent. hoo boy

I'm sorry, David, I can't do that...

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
    HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
    Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
    HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
    Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
    HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
    Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
    HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
    Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
    HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
    Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
    HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    Damnit- I guess I'm going to have to cancel my order then....LOL!
    Yeah, me too. Oh well, I've got a 200. I'd rather have an m&m car than a justin barber car, if it comes down to that!

In a road car paddles make no sense - rather have a shifter
    Maybe it floats too?
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

I never knew that they sold these with automatics.

Man....
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information