If you HAD to drive a Lancia what would you drive?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: If you HAD to drive a Lancia what would you drive?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,979 Times in 975 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

If you HAD to drive a Lancia what would you drive?

In the spirit of Kowalski's two threads on Ferrari and Maserati, he suggested that I start this thread.

Some of you who know my earlier posts know that I have a thing for Italian cars. Yes, I'm an GM (and domestic) car guy, but Italian cars are a guilty pleasure of mine. At first it was a way for me to connect to my Italian immigrant parents and uncles and grandparents who would go on and on about old Fiat Cinquecentos, Alfa GTVs and elegant Maserati Quattorportes (who says cars can't bring folks together?). But as I got older I really took an interest - and kind of had a special soft spot for Lancia. My nonno (grandfather) used to tell me stories about the beautiful Lancia cars that doctors, lawyers, politicos and professionals used to drive in Avellino (a city not far from his village) and what a wonder it was to him --- seeing as they didn't have many cars in the whole village he lived in as a child. That kinda struck a cord with me and I became a Lancia fan.

Anyway, in the world of Italian cars, Lancia has been an underdog over the past 20 years or more, but has a rich history for technology and motorsports. They have the most wins (for a vehicle) than any other company in WRC thanks to cars like the Stratos, Delta Integrale S4, and Monte Carlo/037. And Vincenzo Lancia's son was heavily involved in F1, where he found much success (that is, before selling the family's F1 team to a young Enzo Ferrari in the mid-1950s, which became the basis for the Lancia-Ferrari F1 Team -- and history shows us just how well that that endeavor has panned out as Ferrari today is synonymous with Formula 1 racing).

But Lancia had many firsts: the world's first full production V6, in the 1960s it produced narrow-V V4s and V6s (think VW's VR6 today), they were a pioneer in AWD for cars/coupes (even though all you hear about today is that Audi and Subaru started it all) and even had VW's "TwinCharger" (small displacement engine with both a supercharger and turbocharger) figured out in the 80s on the Delta S4 Rallye cars. Truly they were a technology driven company. Many have even said that Lancia DOHC engine designs of the late 1960s helped to sustain Fiat's own engineering operations in the 1970s after the company was purchase by the Agnelli family. But as time wore on -- and as Lancia took a back seat when Alfa Romeo was acquired by the Fiat Empire in the mid-1980's (it was "pushed" on the Agnellis by the Italian Government who didn't want to see Alfa in foreign hands) -- they kind of lost their place in the pecking order and started to suffer from neglect.

But through most of their history, Lancias were always sporty and elegant and had an Italian flair that was more sophisticated than the raw sex-appeal of Ferrari or the sporting-edginess of Alfa Romeo. It was always more upscale and had a slightly different clientel than these other marques, but still very much an icon (especially in their haydays in the 50s and 60s post-WWII Italy -- think "La Dolce Vita" type style with movie stars and sheik celebrities). Even the names were kinda of different. When Vincezo Lancia started the company, he used Greek alphabet names to designate his cars (Beta, Gamma, Kappa, etc) but ironically couldn't use "Alfa" b/c of the confusion with Alfa-Romeo (which today is it's corporate cousin at Fiat Auto S.p.A.). Later Lancia would take on a decidedly Italian flair by using the Latin names of Roman Roads -- a true connection between Italy's Latin/Roman heritage and the modern country (again, the 50s and 60s) that Italy was evolving into. Later on when Fiat Auto took control they switched back to the Greek designations, but it seems that in the future, both moniker-schemes could co-exist (notice the possible revival of the Lancia Fulvia and maybe even a return of the Flaminina?) so that will do well to branch the "classic" Lancias at their zenith to the modern lineup.

In any event, here are a few of the the Lancia's I'd drive if I had the chance (and I assure you the list would be much longer if I had the time)

Happy posting.

Lancia Flaminia Zagato Sport

Lancia Scorpion (related to the Monte Carlo/037)

Lancia Delta Integrale

Lancia Thema 8.32 (It was a normal Thema with a Ferrari V8 engine sitting transversely and running through the front wheels. The platform was a cooperationg between Lancia (Thema), Saab (9000), Fiat (Croma), and Alfa Romeo (164)).

Lancia Fulvia (Fiat showed a new concept recently based on the Fiat Barchetta platform. The Barchetta was discontinued, but there is hope that the concept will go into product on the new Grande Punto platform).

Lancia Flavia (larger than the Fulvia and more luxurious -- more like a typical GT car than a sports car, but very elegant)

Lancia Aurelia (considered by lots of folsk to be the worlds first true Gran Turismo vehicle, it was an elegant car and stayed in production for most of the 1950s)

Lancia Stratos (about as classic and aggressive as a car can get, this car is a legend. It was huge in rallying and had a Ferrari sourced engine. Lancia didn't build huge numbers of them for consumers b/c they needed to hit the 500 marque to comply with the WRC's rules and regulations. Unfortunately, some British outfit has the rights to the name and they're gonna try to put out a "new" Stratos -- but it won't be associated with Lancia at all. Bummer).

Lancia Monte Carlo (037) Rally (related to the Scorpion above)
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: If you HAD to drive a Lancia what would you drive?

I would take any. Especially the Delta, Stratos, Thema 8.32, Zagato, Ypisilon, Kappa, or Montecarlo.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    A Thema 8.32
    Beautiful isn't it?
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson
    I would take any. Especially the Delta, Stratos, Thema 8.32, Zagato, Ypisilon, Kappa, or Montecarlo.
    The Ypsilon is a great little car. It was based on a Autobianchi Y10 (another brand that Fiat owned -- it started as a joint venture between Bianchi Motori, Pirelli Tire and Fiat that the Agnellis came to control later) which eventually evolved into the Lancia Ypsilon when Fiat decided to nix the Autobianchi nameplate. It has obviously evolved over the years, but it's a great small car. The current model and the updated version are very Italian sheik (if that's the right word) as has become an icon on it's own.

The soon to be released updated Ypsilon Sport Model for '07

I always thought that if Fiat wanted to come back to the US, they should forget the Fiat brand and just bring back Lancia instead (after the '08 launch of Alfa Romeo that is). With all the emphasis on small cars and small car icons like the Mini making a comeback today, this Lancia would make an IDEAL small car (it competes against the Mini in that particular segment, even thought it isn't exactly the same type of vehicle). Plus, it's different and a bit off beat -- it would do wonders for the marque to get a foothold in the US.

What do you think?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Well, since I've never been exposed to Lancias then any will do.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by DanCBJMS1988
    Well, since I've never been exposed to Lancias then any will do.
    , we'll make a Lancisti out of you yet Dan! lol

Viva Lancia!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Lancia Statos is the one for me! Yeah! I love this classic.
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks

The first Lancia WAS actually a Lancia Alpha, Alfa Romeo was founded later on, so the problem occurred only in the 1960s when the new FWD Fiat-based Lancias were launched, which is why they had to start with the Beta (and then Gamma, Delta etc.) There is some probability I would end up with a Kappa some day in my life, I'd go for a golden one with the 3.0, preferably red alcantara interior.

(the color of the wagon in the photo)

The Lybra also has a special place in my heart:

BTW, our friend from CWWdesign did a nice Thesis Coupe, it looks so much nicer than the awkward Kappa Coupe and the rather stolid Thesis saloon:

Last edited by Bravada; 11-02-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks

Ciao Nicola!

Come siete amico?

OK enough of that. Mio Italiano é poco arrugnito.

So Lancia huh? They pulled out of the British market 12 years ago. I know a lot of people, including even Jeremy Clarkson who shed a tear when Lancia announced "Arrivederci Regno Unito".

Even so, that didn't stop from appreciating Lancia.

So what Lancia I would drive?

From the current range...

I would have a Lybra SW (they still make the Lybra).

One of the best looking Estate cars I have ever seen. The back-end is by far the best view of it.

I also like the Ypsilon. Not many small cars look this upscale.

It manages to look funky yet classy.

And I would love if Lancia launched a Thesis Coupé like the one pictured above. By the way, Welcome Back Bravada. Good to see you are still around.

From the past? Oh boy...Classic Lancias are so cool! They look and they feel absolutely Italian.

From the past:

Beta Monte Carlo.

The poor man's Ferrari.

Stratos

It was a beast of car back then. Not to mention, it was the king of the hill of the rally cars.

There are others of course. The Delta Integrale was fantastic, the Delta S4 was a monstrous beast (in a good way).

For now though. These are the ones I would have.

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Hmm..if I had to drive a Lancia, I think I'd drive the Thesis. I love that car! Ypsilon is cool, but in my opinion, it's too small to be safe in the land of the big SUV.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

I'd have the devil's own time choosing one Lancia, though if I had to choose one, it'd likely be a Gamma coupe. I'd drive it to Centro Stile so they'd know how Lancia coupes are supposed to look. They built that Kappa coupe after seeing the Kayak concept?
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information