Germany, Der Spiegel says: Volkswagen studies to sell spanish SEAT brand.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Germany, Der Spiegel says: Volkswagen studies to sell spanish SEAT brand.

Thanks

Germany, Der Spiegel says: Volkswagen studies to sell spanish SEAT brand.

Original article in Spanish: Volkswagen estudia vender SEAT, según ‘Der Spiegel’.

ELPAIS.es/AGENCIAS - Frankfurt - 16/09/2005.

The German weekly magazine affirms that the Spanish company/signature must until 2006 to increase the benefits. A spokesman of the mark in Spain describes the information as "pure speculation"

The German manufacturer of cars Volkswagen studies to sell the mark of Seat if she continues registering losses in spite of the launching of two new models in this year, according to publishes this week the German magazine Der Spiegel. A spokesman of the manufacturer in Spain has forestalled nevertheless this information and she has described it as "pure speculation".

The publication, that does not mention any concrete source, affirms that Seat has until half-full of 2006 increasing of substantial form its sales and benefits and elevating its ' cash flow', demonstrating so it deserves new investments.

In opposite case, Volkswagen could use the plant of Seat in Martorell to construct cars of other marks of the Group and to sell the mark of Seat, possibly to a Chinese automobile manufacturer whom it loves to enter the European market.

Seat began east month negotiations with the unions to reduce its costs and to face an excess of group of near 800 workers caused by the reduction of the production and the stagnation of the demand in its main markets of export.

In spite of this information, the spokesman of the automotive one in Spain has affirmed that "it is pure speculation. There are plans no to close the plant of Martorell, to sell the mark nor to produce models for other manufacturers ".

In the heat of reconstruction

During the Hall the International Automo'vil (IAA) of Fráncfort, the president of Seat, Andreas Schleef, have limited themselves to comment that the future strategy of the house is based on eslogan "the new Seat", but have not mentioned anything on the production of new models.

The matrix is immersed in a deep reconstruction to reduce to production costs and personnel, who happens to eliminate, at least, 10,000 uses in the German plants and to undo of the less productive segments.

In a published interview this week, the head of the Volkswagen mark, Wolfgang Bernhard, aimed that if the group is not able to change the course in three years, the present crisis will put in danger the survival of the constructor.

SEAT Altea

Translated using the http://www.babelfish.altavista.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Germany, Der Spiegel says: Volkswagen studies to sell spanish SEAT brand.

And just when I was hoping VW would bring them here to slot under VW.............

Blah!

I want a Leon!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Well, I thought VW was gonna bring SEAT to the US. Who knows?

The problem with this move is that with VW going upscale, and Skoda filling the mid-range... VW will have no low-range at all.

VW's got an issue with their corporate strategy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Volkswagen killed SEAT and after they have done an AMAZING work with Skoda, they are now neglecting SEAT because:

A- Volkswagen wants so badly to be a Luxury brand and with a car for every market niche, that forgotten to focus their attention to its own mainstream brands.

B- Skoda makes better quality cars, than any other VW brand. Therefore Volkswagen wants Skoda to be the "old Volkswagen", that usually to make reliable mainstream cars.

Now, it's only a matter of time for VW to sell SEAT to the Chinese...

Thanks

No wonder SEAT is doing poorly when VW is trying to offer everything under every brand. I still wonder why Skoda Fabia doesn't have a Bugatti version...

More seriously - if they have the Altea and Toledo, why in the world did they come up with the Golf Plus??? And why does VW get a Cabrio and Audi a three-door and SEAT does not? Why is the VW Fox a VW and not a Seat? Why does VW try to sell ancient and budget cars under the VW badge in Latin America alongside with contemporary offerings?

I guess VAG's corporate strategy is just a European version of GM's haphazard model planning and brand management. Wake up, Wolfsburg!

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    A- Volkswagen wants so badly to be a Luxury brand and with a car for every market niche, that forgotten to focus their attention to its own mainstream brands.
    And the problem with that is... VW already has a luxury brand.... Audi. ANd Bentley if you wan to count that.
    And you're right...for about 5-6 years, they have forgotten to pay attention to mainstream, high volume cars.

There was no reason for Jetta, GOlf, Passat, and Beetle to remain un-updated for so long. And now that they are updated... they're over-priced.

B- Skoda makes better quality cars, than any other VW brand. Therefore Volkswagen wants Skoda to be the "old Volkswagen", that usually to make reliable mainstream cars.

Skodas are very nice cars. Unfortunately, they are rebadges. Change the grille... Change the taillights.... ANd you got a Superb.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada
    No wonder SEAT is doing poorly when VW is trying to offer everything under every brand. I still wonder why Skoda Fabia doesn't have a Bugatti version...
    I guess VAG's corporate strategy is just a European version of GM's haphazard model planning and brand management. Wake up, Wolfsburg!

Yup... they are trying to be GM... but the Stupid GM of the 1970-80s.
    You really can't offer everything under one brand... and start overlapping so much without damaging something.

Thanks

Skoda Superb is in fact a version of the Chineses LWB Passat B5 (VW aaded 10 cm to the wheelbase for the Chinese market), but there are differences (start with the fact that Passats had 3 side windows and Superb has 2). And both cars (LWB Passat and Superb) have never been sold together in any market.

The Fabia is a cousin to VW Polo and Seat Ibiza/Cordoba, but I think they are distinct enough not to be called rebadges - much like the LaCrosse and Impala. The Octavia is based on the VW Golf V platform, but is different in so many ways...

Thanks

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    And the problem with that is... VW already has a luxury brand.... Audi. ANd Bentley if you wan to count that.
    And you're right...for about 5-6 years, they have forgotten to pay attention to mainstream, high volume cars.
    They also forgot to focus attention to the quality of their cars also. And they seem to be ignoring that or sweep them under the rug is not working, and is repeatedly hurting the brand. One can only coast for so long.

There was no reason for Jetta, GOlf, Passat, and Beetle to remain un-updated for so long. And now that they are updated... they're over-priced.
    The Golf sold in America still is from the MK4 model. I wonder when VW will release the new Golf MK5 (below) in America?

And you're quite right about they being overpriced. The car above, is the base Golf SE hatch 5-door with the 1.6 FSi engine with a manual gearbox, and that costs £15.000.

Skodas are very nice cars. Unfortunately, they are rebadges. Change the grille... Change the taillights.... ANd you got a Superb.
    Skodas usually to be truly awful cars, but along came Volkswagen with Herr Ferdinand Piëch on the control, so he changed everything.

Now Skoda makes attractive cars. Personally, I think Skoda would do well in America - In fact - I think Skoda would do a lot better than SEAT in America.

Skoda Superb.

As our fellow member, Bravada said: The Superb is actually a LWB VW Passat sold for China, but with a few styling tweaks.

It may sound silly, but that's the car, VW should have launched instead of a giant overpriced behemoth (Phaeton) that no one buys it, because of the badge.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 878 Posts

Unless they could sell them to Fiat (ironically the first Seat models was Fiat built under licence) for a pinch of salt

Then another option, Seat joins Austin, Morris, AMC, Rover, Olds, DeSoto, Plymouth, Nash, Hudson, Simca, Facel-Vega.....(and soon Audi?)......

Thanks

I thouht Skoda was just rebadges VW's? SEATS strike me as very attractive.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information