First Drive: 2008 BMW 5-series

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: First Drive: 2008 BMW 5-series

Ach
    Thanks

First Drive: 2008 BMW 5-series

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...-5-series.html

and a related link
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ies-rally.html

A pretty harsh review of the 5-series MCE. From the first article: "We wonder if BMW engineers are so satisfied with their cars that they come up with projects like this to give themselves something to do. Indeed, their products have been the benchmark for so long that the cars themselves seem to exude arrogance. They are impressive machines, but before monkeying around with the automatic transmission shifters and creating iDrive 2.0, we’d like to see them fix that funky steering."

Notable from the second link is their comment that the new STS is "getting awfully close" to the 5-series in terms of handling and high-speed stability.
    The Fleet:
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD
    2000 Ford SVT Contour
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1985 BMW 635CSi

The Past:
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1995 BMW 530i
    1998 Olds Aurora
    1994 Infiniti Q45t
    1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    1989 Acura Legend Coupe L
    1989 Olds Eighty Eight Royale

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 2,105 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: First Drive: 2008 BMW 5-series

There's nothing wrong with the steering.... so long as you get the Sport model.

Ach
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    There's nothing wrong with the steering.... so long as you get the Sport model.
    They even went so far as to call the 550i "ponderous," which seems suspect in light of the fact that they waxed ecstatic about the current version's road manners and rated it more "fun to drive" than an Infiniti M45 in a comparo just a few months ago (although the Infiniti won by a point).

Mgescuro, have you sampled Active Steering on these cars?
    The Fleet:
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD
    2000 Ford SVT Contour
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1985 BMW 635CSi

The Past:
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1995 BMW 530i
    1998 Olds Aurora
    1994 Infiniti Q45t
    1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    1989 Acura Legend Coupe L
    1989 Olds Eighty Eight Royale

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 2,105 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Ach
    They even went so far as to call the 550i "ponderous," which seems suspect in light of the fact that they waxed ecstatic about the current version's road manners and rated it more "fun to drive" than an Infiniti M45 in a comparo just a few months ago (although the Infiniti won by a point).

Mgescuro, have you sampled Active Steering on these cars?
    Yes I have. I have 2 buddies with it.
    I don't find it "ponderous." I find it "heavy" yet controlled. BUT... if you get the Sport model, you get better steering and suspension response. But of course, you need to pay extra for it... which most people won't. I would because I think it is worth it.

The infiniti drives great. it's "lighter" than the 5. But I don't find it more "fun to drive." Hell... I find the 9-5 more fun to drive then the M35/45. And the Infiniti interiors match the STS for cheap materials. I'm not happy with it at all.

I'd still rank the 5-series as the top in this segment.
    5, A6 quattro, M45, E, STS, GS, S-Type, RL. That's my ranking. I've driven them all extensively -- except RL.
    I think RL is the biggest joke in the segment. Nice interior. But completely outclassed.
    S-Type is old, but don't count it out. It's a solid performer.... especially in R form.
    I place GS and STS pretty much side by side. But GS is sooooo isolated, and I despise its numb steering and handling. It looks bland. It drives bland.
    STS is great. It's steering is not as precise, but it is controlled. But its interior is just complete trash and simply not worth the price.
    E-Class is great luxury car. But to get the performance, you need upgrade after upgrade. And quality is iffy.
    M45 is great. Handling and performance is solid. interior needs to be improved. I think it's the best value.
    A6. I wouldn't buy it because I think th edesign is old, and th egrille is just plain nasty. But handling and performance is really top notch. An dyou can't top that interior -- despite its questionable looks and ergonomics.
    5-series is still top notch. It's quite alooker, despite having one on every corner. They are pricey, but I belive the price is justified. It's got image and power and performance to back it up. There really is nothing better.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information