First 2013 Land Rover Range Rover images leak out

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: First 2013 Land Rover Range Rover images leak out

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

First 2013 Land Rover Range Rover images leak out

By Steven J. Ewing

Posted Aug 14th 2012 10:32AM

We'll cut right to the chase: Land Rover will be releasing official information on the 2013 Range Rover very, very soon, but as to be expected, the first few images of the new SUV have leaked onto the internet.

The big daddy Range Rover uses full design cues pulled from the smaller Evoque – the headlamp corners that are swept back over the front quarter panel, for example – but we have to admit, this thing looks more like a one-off Ford Flex than a sleek new Land Rover. Most of us on staff prefer the design of the current SUV, at least on the basis of these leaked images. We'll wait until we see the full brace of images and get an in-person look before we write it off as being unattractive.

We'll have official details coming soon, but it's safe to say that the new Range Rover will be lighter than its predecessor, thanks to an aluminum frame and lightweight components throughout the body. We fully expect V8 power to be on tap for the U.S., but don't rule out the use of Jaguar Land Rover's new 3.0-liter supercharged V6, either. Stay tuned for more information.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/14/f...ages-leak-out/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: First 2013 Land Rover Range Rover images leak out

I'd be more interested in when their reliabilty ratings "leak out". Everything else on them seems to.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Looks like leftover Ford design with cues from the Explorer.

BTW Rover reliability has been really underrated the past couple years. Granted it depends on the model and they all have their failing points, but the LR3 and Sports (Same platform for those unfamiliar) 2007+ are significantly better than the Pre-07s, while all 2010+ models seem to be significantly better than before. Not saying they are infallible or high quality, but it is not as bad as it was. Definitely opt for a warranty though and do your research on specific trucks before purchase. Maintenance and preventative care is vital for these to be reliable. Most that poop out aren't properly maintained. They're high maintenance.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Looks like a Flexish-Explorerish-Range Roverish design, and I usually dislike comparisons of X looks like Car A and B had a child.

Not that impressed so far with the exterior. Maybe it'll grow on me or look much better IRL. The interior looks excellent, however. The new Escalade should be on that level or close.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

JLR will continue it's dominance in some ways of this class, and I wonder if there is any validity to the rumored price increases or move upmarket.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 568 Posts

It's... um... pretty. I can't quite put my finger on it but somehow the exterior looks effeminate to me, especially the front 3/4 view.

And I'm disappointed by the interior. Not that it's bad, but I happen to think the current Range Rover (especially before the recent refresh) has/had one of the best interiors of any non-exotic and this new one feels like a step backwards. My major gripe is with the huge swath of wood in the center stack stretching to the center console. Too much "empty" space. And the rotary shifter, while perfectly fine for Jaguars, seems totally out of place in an SUV (I have that gripe about the Evoque as well, but at least everyone knows it's not a real SUV).
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The empty space is a good thing - no need for a hundred buttons

Speaking of a hundred buttons the steering wheel is a joke
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Well, it's distinctly a Range Rover and won't be mistaken for anything else, despite the Ford-ish cues.

The interior is...well it's clean... but it looks devoid of... something.

There are definitely Evoque cues in the RR, including the steering wheel shape, rims, headlamps, and the contrast color roof.

Should be good with a starting price of around $80,000, especially if it's all aluminum.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

I like the front end and interior quite a bit. But WTF were they thinking when they got to the taillights?
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Quest's Avatar
    Thanks

This is where it gets interesting…
    Land Rover Officially Reveals 2013 Range Rover SUV, Sheds up to 926lbs or 420kg

While many have and will continue to focus their attention on the sleek evolution of the Range Rover’s traditional looks and the modernized interior that is influenced by the Evoque, it's what you don't see that truly makes the fourth generation of the British SUV stand out from its predecessors.

You see, the 2013 Range Rover features a new all-aluminium monocoque body structure that is 39 per cent lighter than the steel body in the outgoing model. In addition, there's an all-new aluminium front and rear chassis architecture.

These weight saving measures help the new Range Rover shed as much as 926lbs of 420kg over the outgoing model, depending on market and specifications.

For example, Land Rover tells us that the US specification model with the naturally-aspirated 5.0-liter V8 will be approximately 700lbs or 318kg lighter than the outgoing equivalent.

"This new aluminum platform delivers significant enhancements in performance and agility, along with an improvement in fuel economy and reduction in CO2 emissions," said Land Rover in a statement.

The luxury SUV also gets a completely re-engineered four-corner air suspension, which according to the company, "delivers flatter, more confident cornering abilities, with a natural and intuitive steering feel".

The all-wheel drive Range Rover debuts a next generation of the brand's Terrain Response system, which analyses the current driving conditions and automatically selects the most suitable vehicle settings for the terrain.

Land Rover hasn't revealed the vehicle's exterior dimensions yet, but says that the new model features a longer wheelbase and a significant 118mm (4.6 inches) boost in rear legroom. There's also an available two-seat Executive Class seating package, which the company claims to offer the "ultimate in rear-seat luxury".

The only engine confirmed for launch in North America at this stage is a 5.0-liter naturally aspirated V8.

All engines will drive through an eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF with the driver making the selection through a rotary knob positioned on the lower part of the center console.
    CarScoop
    Official Land rover Press Release for the 2013 Range Rover.

If (if until officially confirmed) the Cadillac Omega launches with an all aluminum or extensive aluminum monocoque Zeta-Sigma converged platform an SUV/CUV – as with Alpha - should be added to Cadillac’s top-end range. It would make for a proper “global” large luxury SUV than the NA only Escalade.
    Last edited by Quest; 08-15-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added addt'l links
    Any rigidity by an automobile manufacturer, no matter how large or how well established, is severely penalized in the market.
    -Alfred P. Sloan Jr. (1965) My Years with General Motors.

Longitudinal powertrain Audi vehicles with quattro are indistinguishable from RWD vehicles with Full-Time AWD; both meet the criteria to be labeled RWD/AWD - to argue otherwise is a “logical fallacy” (argumentum ad logicam). Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

This does not bode well for the upcoming Escalade in some ways , and will only be mitigated somewhat by the Escalade not typically being expected to be amazing dynamically. This also will mean I believe that the RR Sport will move slightly upmarket as will the Range Rover especially at the top of the ranges. The Range Rover is a large luxury SUV but it is almost in a class by itself because it is considered a true S class competitor by many. Interestingly enough the large Range Rover will now shade the smaller RR Sport as far as ride / handling balance is concerned with it being based on the quite heavy LR4 platform.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    This does not bode well for the upcoming Escalade in some ways , and will only be mitigated somewhat by the Escalade not typically being expected to be amazing dynamically. This also will mean I believe that the RR Sport will move slightly upmarket as will the Range Rover especially at the top of the ranges. The Range Rover is a large luxury SUV but it is almost in a class by itself because it is considered a true S class competitor by many. Interestingly enough the large Range Rover will now shade the smaller RR Sport as far as ride / handling balance is concerned with it being based on the quite heavy LR4 platform.
    I'm not sure RR Sport would move upmarket. There's no real reason for it. The RR will have to move upmarket, as the all aluminum structure will add significant baseline cost. I figure an $80,000 base is a fair amount.
    RR is an S-Class competitor (more like a true alternative). And it's acting that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate (dumb name) to top $200,000.

Just in time to compete with the Bentley CUV.

At least JLR knows where the brand should be.

I also expect JLR to sell every single one of these.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    I'm not sure RR Sport would move upmarket. There's no real reason for it. The RR will have to move upmarket, as the all aluminum structure will add significant baseline cost. I figure an $80,000 base is a fair amount.
    RR is an S-Class competitor (more like a true alternative). And it's acting that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate (dumb name) to top $200,000.

Just in time to compete with the Bentley CUV.

At least JLR knows where the brand should be.

I also expect JLR to sell every single one of these.
    JLR at this point is the only global heritage luxury brand that I believe can even approach the global luxury triumvirate.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information