Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    What are your favorites for 2006, you may include 2005 vehicles if you wish.
    Mine are:
    Mazda RX-8
    Volvo XC70
    Volvo C70
    Jaguar X-Type
    Jaguar XJ
    Jaguar XK
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Aston Martin DB9

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    6,050
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Why is Mazda in the European section?

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    What are your favorites for 2006, you may include 2005 vehicles if you wish.
    Mine are:
    Mazda RX-8
    Volvo XC70
    Volvo C70
    Jaguar X-Type
    Jaguar XJ
    Jaguar XK
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Aston Martin DB9
    Haven't driven any, but I've gotten positive vibes from the:
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Mazda Miata
    Volvo C70
    Volvo S40 T5

    Volvo's refreshed S80 and Mazda's CX-7 look to be good pieces. And I'm not a truck/SUV fanatic, but I'm nonetheless guilty of taking more than a passing glace at the Range Rover Sport.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,501
    Thanks
    3,927
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Well... the only cars on that list that I"ve driven is the D89 (of all cars). But not a 2006. I don't think they would have changed from a 2005.

    The british mobiles are awesome.

  7. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Well... the only cars on that list that I"ve driven is the D89 (of all cars). But not a 2006. I don't think they would have changed from a 2005.

    The british mobiles are awesome.
    I love the british cars, but they're so expensive. It was funny at the time with the 9-5 when we checked out similar ones to ours, with the employee discount, a similar BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class would cost around $15,000-$30,000 more than the 9-5 and even offer around the same power. If the brits offered some more affordable alternatives that compete around the near-luxury segment, I would bet they'd sell like hotcakes. The X-Type is still a little expensive and I'm sure many of us on this site, if we could afford an Aston Martin, we'd get one, I know I would.

  8. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    Why is Mazda in the European section?
    Don't know, it was originally in the General Car Discussion but I think because it's mixed with all the Euro Cars from Ford, they put it there.

  9. #7
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,292
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Jaguar XK Coupe
    All Astons
    Mazda3s
    Mazda6s
    Mazdaspeed6
    Volvo S40 T5

  10. #8
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,292
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    It was funny at the time with the 9-5 when we checked out similar ones to ours, with the employee discount, a similar BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class would cost around $15,000-$30,000 more than the 9-5 and even offer around the same power.
    It's funny that you are under the impression that the 9-5 has "similar" peers in the E-class and 5-series. Those cars are so completely out of the Saab's league that comparing them is tragic.

  11. #9
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,501
    Thanks
    3,927
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    I love the british cars, but they're so expensive. It was funny at the time with the 9-5 when we checked out similar ones to ours, with the employee discount, a similar BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class would cost around $15,000-$30,000 more than the 9-5 and even offer around the same power. If the brits offered some more affordable alternatives that compete around the near-luxury segment, I would bet they'd sell like hotcakes. The X-Type is still a little expensive and I'm sure many of us on this site, if we could afford an Aston Martin, we'd get one, I know I would.

    X-TYpe is thankfully dying out. And thank goodness.
    Jaguars shouldn't be... and rightfully so... attainable. AS someone said on another thread... It's an aspirational brand. People have to earn the right to own a Jaguar.

    jaguar shouldn't be in the "near luxury" segment in teh first place. In fact, Jaguar should be "Affordable ultra-luxury."

    S-Type is about as "low" as Jaguar should go, and I still think that's really pushing it. I'd go back to having the XJ as the "entry level" Jaguar.

    Aston's are custom built for the buyer. It takes a year to order, get it built and delivered. At least that was the timeline for my buddy's DB9.

  12. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,501
    Thanks
    3,927
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by Buick61
    It's funny that you are under the impression that the 9-5 has "similar" peers in the E-class and 5-series. Those cars are so completely out of the Saab's league that comparing them is tragic.
    Actually, in today's world, the 9-5 is very long in the tooth compared to the E and 5s. But 5 years ago, the 9-5 was a peer. GM just let the poor car wither on the vine. After 2003 or so, it really wasn't part of that crowd anymore.

    If you look at the perforamcne numbers, they're very close.

    HOpefully, the totalyl revised 9-5 will bring it back in line with those sedans.

  13. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by Buick61
    It's funny that you are under the impression that the 9-5 has "similar" peers in the E-class and 5-series. Those cars are so completely out of the Saab's league that comparing them is tragic.
    Age aside, if you just compare features and prices, the Saab does outbeat them. We're satisifed with the vehicle and in fact, in many ways I think its better than the 9-3 but since the 9-5 costs more, it should.

  14. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    X-TYpe is thankfully dying out. And thank goodness.
    Jaguars shouldn't be... and rightfully so... attainable. AS someone said on another thread... It's an aspirational brand. People have to earn the right to own a Jaguar.

    jaguar shouldn't be in the "near luxury" segment in teh first place. In fact, Jaguar should be "Affordable ultra-luxury."

    S-Type is about as "low" as Jaguar should go, and I still think that's really pushing it. I'd go back to having the XJ as the "entry level" Jaguar.

    Aston's are custom built for the buyer. It takes a year to order, get it built and delivered. At least that was the timeline for my buddy's DB9.
    The pros to the X-Type is that it looks like an XJ but is more affordable. Every company needs an entry level vehicle so, in the future, they can upgrade. We did the same thing, went from 9-3 to 9-5 and someday, it could be a higher model or considering that I have my car, my mom could buy a little car to move around in.

  15. #13
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,501
    Thanks
    3,927
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    The pros to the X-Type is that it looks like an XJ but is more affordable. Every company needs an entry level vehicle so, in the future, they can upgrade. We did the same thing, went from 9-3 to 9-5 and someday, it could be a higher model or considering that I have my car, my mom could buy a little car to move around in.
    Normally, I would agree with you, but with Jaguar, I have to disagree.
    The ENTIRE brand is considered the "upgrade."
    You don't go from X-Type to S-Type to XJ. You go from whatever car you got now -- Pontiac, Mercedes, Nissan, Lexus -- and upgrade to Jaguar.

    That's what I mean by Aspirational brand.

    Ford's new marketing campaign is equating Jaguar as a luxury item.
    http://prefergorgeous.com/

    Jaguars are works of art. There is simply a meticulous attention to detail that is just not matched.

    I think S-Types are about as low as Jaguars shoudl ahve gone. X-Type just wasn't right for the brand. If Jaguar wants a more "entry level" car, then they should revive teh XJ6.

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Normally, I would agree with you, but with Jaguar, I have to disagree.
    The ENTIRE brand is considered the "upgrade."
    You don't go from X-Type to S-Type to XJ. You go from whatever car you got now -- Pontiac, Mercedes, Nissan, Lexus -- and upgrade to Jaguar.

    That's what I mean by Aspirational brand.

    Ford's new marketing campaign is equating Jaguar as a luxury item.
    http://prefergorgeous.com/

    Jaguars are works of art. There is simply a meticulous attention to detail that is just not matched.

    I think S-Types are about as low as Jaguars shoudl ahve gone. X-Type just wasn't right for the brand. If Jaguar wants a more "entry level" car, then they should revive teh XJ6.
    You do have a point. I personally don't like the Jaguar S-Type and I would rather see the next gen X-Type in that price range and would be on a better platform, more power etc, but be cheaper than the XJ but look really similar which to me, would make me happy. Considering that the X-Type is based off a Ford Mondeo (Contour)

  17. #15
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 kool_zx3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,054
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Favorite Volvo, Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin vehicles for 2006

    The x type i think did more harm then good for jag, people just don't like the idea of being able to buy a jag for cheap, jaguar is a high priced luxury car built for the wealthy and that means nothing when yah can get a jag for 35grand. The s type should be the lowest priced jaguar.

    Sales might then even pick up.

    Also a quick note, the new XK started rolling off the line this week

    Also id give a kidney for an s type r

    or id gladly take this instead
    Last edited by kool_zx3; 12-22-2005 at 12:39 AM.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. September Australian Car Sales Results
    By JoeT in forum GM Holden News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
  2. August Australian Car Sales Results
    By JoeT in forum GM Holden News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 04:46 AM
  3. July Australian Car Sales Results
    By JoeT in forum GM Holden News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
  4. Ford Motor prices upcoming Mercury Milan car at $18,995
    By kyleh511 in forum Ford Motor Company Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
  5. Viva Gran Turismo!
    By Ming in forum Automotive Industry & GM News
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2