Could VW Squash the Beetle?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could VW Squash the Beetle?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Could VW Squash the Beetle?

Jalopnik- Volkswagen was built on the curvaceous back of a tough, simple, practical family car with its engine in the back. The current Beetle is a pretty far cry from that car, and it's also not a strong seller. As VW gets serious about cutting costs, could the Beetle be on the chopping block?

That's what German newspaper Der Spiegel is hearing these days. As VW needs to be reduced by five billion euros, or about $5.4 billion, the company is exploring whether to axe some of their slower selling cars. Two of those under consideration are reportedly three-door hatchbacks, sales of which have been declining in Europe for some time.

One of them is the three-door Polo subcompact hatchback, which isn't sold in the U.S. A five-door Polo could survive instead. The other car under review is the Beetle, the most recent version of which was launched in 2011. Since then it hasn't been an especially strong seller, maxing out at around 5,000 sold a month but usually hovering between 2,000 and 3,000, according to GoodCarBadCar.

That pales in comparison to the New Beetle-mania of the late 1990s when the completely revised car moved more than 83,000 units in 1999. The current Beetle hasn't exactly lit the market on fire the way the New Beetle did. 1

A VW spokesman told Automotive News Europe that there are no decisions on the Beetle or the Polo at the moment, and as always, this report should be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, I'd love for VW to find some way to let this storied nameplate survive into the future, especially if they do something truly new and interesting with it. "Stylish Golf coupe" might not cut it anymore.

Link: http://jalopnik.com/could-volkswagen...tle-1690411722
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: Could VW Squash the Beetle?

Let the cost cutting begin...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,205 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I am of the opinion cars like the NEW BEETLE and the PT cruiser ETC should be a ONE and DONE affair - make ONE generation run and NOT replace it for the NEXT GEN BUT invest in a NEW replacement car and for VW the Corrodo coupe could have bean the replacement OR that combi they where showing 5 years ago

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,154 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

PT Cruiser sold over 140,000 its best year. It was left to wither on the vine as the Americans so happily seem to do with many successful cars. Then some ditz like Lutz blames the car brand. "Damaged Brand!"

The swine who engineered the criminal sale of Chrysler to the Mercedes Mob danced away multi-millionaires. And yes, everyone's Best Boy Lutz was one of them.

Given halfway competent updates, the PT would still be rollin' on the Highway of Success today. This wagon type vehicle is more popular than ever. Chrysler blew it. Like that's news.

The Beetle, unlike the PT, doesn't have practicality supporting its lifespan. Schtick only. But VW could do a lot with the New Bug. An El Camino style. A 3rd door as per Veloster. A stretch limo. Yes we can!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Jesda (03-11-2015),Rocket 88 (03-10-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 SE Premium Brew M1

The problem with the Beetle is that it should have been the entry level VW, not a high-priced toy for nostalgiaistas. Had it been the entry level, you'd see lots of them in NA. The Golf is so boring, style-wise.
    2013 Cadillac CTS A6 (wifey's car)
    2011 Ford Ranger XL M5 (for chores)
    2009 Pontiac G5 M5 (on loan to middle child)
    2011 SE Premium Brew M1 (daily pedaller)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lusth For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (03-10-2015),sfbreh (03-11-2015)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Fusion

Cancelling it is good , however , one good turn deserves another , instead VW could start selling the refreshed Chevy Spark . With their streamlined efficent assembly lines , the price would probably drop 3 or 4,000.00 . The only exception would be to straighten out the rear windows to match the depth of the front ones , kind of like the Golf style , so rear passengers can actually see out of them . Look , why don't I give VW a call , don't speak any German , but know a little French , France being close by , you know !.... le plume de mon aunt est sur la table de mon uncle....we contributors have to be intelligent and well spoken , I know, I know it's a gift for the few among us !!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by usayjim2 View Post
    Cancelling it is good , however , one good turn deserves another , instead VW could start selling the refreshed Chevy Spark . With their streamlined efficent assembly lines , the price would probably drop 3 or 4,000.00 . The only exception would be to straighten out the rear windows to match the depth of the front ones , kind of like the Golf style , so rear passengers can actually see out of them . Look , why don't I give VW a call , don't speak any German , but know a little French , France being close by , you know !.... le plume de mon aunt est sur la table de mon uncle....we contributors have to be intelligent and well spoken , I know, I know it's a gift for the few among us !!
    Are you drunk? LOL

I got a kick out of the reborn Beetle, and thought that they did an awesome job of redesigning it a few years back into a more faithful version of the original, but sales don't seem to have followed. As another poster said, pricing certainly doesn't help it, though I do hope they find a way to keep it, as I think we need MORE cars that play our automotive heartstrings, not fewer. Fewer Beetles and more Golfs is a sad prospect.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I like the new beatle, not enough to buy one, but it would be nice to see some new effort injected into it.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

The problem with the Beetle is... it's one of a small bevy of arguably unnecessary "niche" products, and it's coming out of a factory that with capacity issues that struggles to produce enough of the cars that dealers are asking for.

Eos. Golf Cabriolet. Golf Sportvan. CC. Scirocco. Beetle. All interesting cars, yet VW has not a single SUV/crossover to cover that yawning chasm that exists between the Tiguan and the pricey Touareg — a segment that comprises a substantial chunk of sales in North America and other regions.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cbennie2's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Astra Twilight Blu

I always felt the redesign was horrible. Feels forced to me...like trying to fit a round bug into a small square hole. Plus when was the last time you saw an ad for it...the last one I recall is that stupid one where the cars were flying off the lot....nothing like a poor cliche to sell your cars

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I like the new beatle, not enough to buy one, but it would be nice to see some new effort injected into it.
    I agree. They have done a GM and not touched it for so long that people are bored of it. Then complain that no one is buying it.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Fusion

Pardon my silliness but I find the subject even sillier . Volkswagon is the 2nd biggest seller of vehicles in the world . They keep their assortment to a minimum , they are hugely profitable . In Europe , they outsell all of their competitors combined !! Unlike GM who throws out more models in 4 divisions than any other company on the planet and God forbid , more to come , I think it has to be the most unprofitable auto manufacturer for its size . So we , a GM forum , are down to considering the question of VW cancelling the Beetle and making studious comments therein . I'm sorry but this is hilarious , it really is !!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,739 Times in 5,632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lusth View Post
    The problem with the Beetle is that it should have been the entry level VW, not a high-priced toy for nostalgiaistas. Had it been the entry level, you'd see lots of them in NA. The Golf is so boring, style-wise.
    Beetle should absolutely go back to its roots, and not as the Up! or Up! plus or whatever the larger one is.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,739 Times in 5,632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    I agree. They have done a GM and not touched it for so long that people are bored of it. Then complain that no one is buying it.

It was just updated a few years ago... maybe 3?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (03-11-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,154 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    The problem with the Beetle is... it's one of a small bevy of arguably unnecessary "niche" products, and it's coming out of a factory that with capacity issues that struggles to produce enough of the cars that dealers are asking for.

Eos. Golf Cabriolet. Golf Sportvan. CC. Scirocco. Beetle. All interesting cars, yet VW has not a single SUV/crossover to cover that yawning chasm that exists between the Tiguan and the pricey Touareg — a segment that comprises a substantial chunk of sales in North America and other regions.
    Excellent point. Did they hire Coke Can as Future Product Development Dood?

Quote Originally Posted by cbennie2 View Post
    I always felt the redesign was horrible. Feels forced to me...like trying to fit a round bug into a small square hole. Plus when was the last time you saw an ad for it...the last one I recall is that stupid one where the cars were flying off the lot....nothing like a poor cliche to sell your cars
    Yup, the redesign looks a bit like someone sucked the critter through a time-travel vortex and some damage was done to its DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Beetle should absolutely go back to its roots, and not as the Up! or Up! plus or whatever the larger one is.
    Agreed. An air-cooled opposed-4 RE RWD selling for $12000 adjusted for inflation.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information