Citroen to revive DS range

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citroen to revive DS range

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Accord, 1989 LeBaron GTC

Citroen to revive DS range

Citroen’s iconic DS nameplate has been out of production for over three decades, but the French automaker will re-launch the range later this year. Citroen will reveal its plan for the DS range later this week, with the first DS model surfacing next month.

Citroen’s first DS model will debut in concept form at March’s Geneva Motor Show. Dubbed the DS3, Citroen’s newest model will compete in the small car segment and is slated to hit the market in during the first half of 2010, according to Automotive News.

The second DS model – the lower-medium DS4 – will roll into Citroen showrooms dealers during early 2011, with the third and final model, the upper-medium DS5, bowing by the end of 2011...

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/citroen-...-ds-range.html

I saw this article yesterday, but haven't noticed it anywhere in this forum. Sorry if repost.

This is really great, i mean the original DS was my favorite french car, i hope they prepared something special if they are planning to revive such a name.
    Current rides:
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo II
    2010 Honda Accord Type S

Past:
    2000 Ford/Mercury Cougar V6
    2003 Honda Accord Euro

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Re: Citroen to revive DS range

Quote Originally Posted by artrix View Post

Citroen’s iconic DS nameplate has been out of production for over three decades, but the French automaker will re-launch the range later this year. Citroen will reveal its plan for the DS range later this week, with the first DS model surfacing next month.

Citroen’s first DS model will debut in concept form at March’s Geneva Motor Show. Dubbed the DS3, Citroen’s newest model will compete in the small car segment and is slated to hit the market in during the first half of 2010, according to Automotive News.

The second DS model – the lower-medium DS4 – will roll into Citroen showrooms dealers during early 2011, with the third and final model, the upper-medium DS5, bowing by the end of 2011...

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/citroen-...-ds-range.html

I saw this article yesterday, but haven't noticed it anywhere in this forum. Sorry if repost.

This is really great, i mean the original DS was my favorite french car, i hope they prepared something special if they are planning to revive such a name.
    My sentiments exactly. Such a cool vehicle, they had better bring something extraordinary if they actually plan on reviving the name. I can't tell you how excited I am to see this!

I had attempted to find a vintage one near me when I was looking for vehicles... parts would be a bitch, but man, what a cool vehicle!

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Hopefully, the new model will do justice to the DS name. The Goddess is one of my all time favorite cars, hope to own one someday.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I thought I was the only person in the USA that actually liked Citroen. My favorite was the SM sold in the US from 1971-1973, it featured hydraulic suspensions, and the best leather interiors this side of Audi.

Please keep us updated on these events, I would appreciate it!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    I thought I was the only person in the USA that actually liked Citroen.
    Well we're definitely few and far between. I love all the classic Citroens, but in particular I like the DS, GS, and the CX.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Awesome! I was talking to coworkers today and they already had heard this, and they were very excited. We all agreed that nowadays there are too many look-alike cars... so it's smart of Citroen to call on their amazing history to build something with real style that stands out. I hope they do a new 2CV someday too...

I don't know if these are just designs some fan came up with or if they're in any way related to what Citroen has planned... but I see lots of potential:

This is old, but it was apparently considered as a design for what eventually became the Citroen C3:

Last edited by paul8488; 02-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

Such weird cars. I wouldn't own one but you've gotta admire something that unique and bold.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Goddesses are surprisingly hard to find in good condition in Europe.

Believe it or not, there are more roadworthy examples in South Africa than in all of Paris. While never a big seller, it was a favourite with upper-class Afrikaans families, especially those of Huguenot descent, and were commonplace in Cape Wine Country.

The dry climate coupled with loyal fans who couldn't bear to let go of their DS 20/5, led to almost a surfeit of well-preserved big Cits.

I saw many examples of this fine motor roaming the streets and freeways of Cape Town when I was a boy. I was always fascinated by how each owner set the ride height to their preference. Some were dropped like lowriders, while some rode around like jacked-up 4x4's!

Our neighbours had an orange (so 1970s!) GS 1220 with the "X" pack. My first ride in it on the school run, I was fascinated by its single-spoke steering wheel and unusual switchgear, which contrasted so greatly from the conservatism of my Mom's German Granada.

Sadly, we never got the CX in SA. Stringent local-content requirements went into effect in late '76, and Citroen, which had recently been taken over by Peugeot SA couldn't afford to tool up to manufacture the CX (the DS was assembled from knock-down kits) in such low volumes. The GS was a strong seller though.

After being acquired by Peugeot, the Citroen factory in Port Elizabeth was sold to GM, who subsequently assembled Chevy pickups and Isuzu light commercials in the plant.

Citroens were brilliantly intelligent cars that were sadly watered down by Peugeot. While some of Cit's old quirky character is starting to come back, today's examples still lack that strange gallic charm that defined the marque.

I don't want a modern-day 2CV or DS. I want unique Citroens with the same boldness (or in the Deux's case... simplicity) and attention to intelligent design that so defined the classic Cits.

A DS with 2000s styling would be a pale joke, and an utter insult to the classic.

Strange as it may seem, the Tata Nano is the closest I've seen to a modern-day 2CV.
    Last edited by t-rex; 02-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Awesome! I was talking to coworkers today and they already had heard this, adn were very excited. We all agree that in this day and age there are too many look-alike cars... so smart of Citroen to call on their amazing history to build something with real style that stands out. I hope they do a new 2CV someday too...
    I had completely forgotten the 2CV! In 1993 I was having an electrical problem diagnosed by an Egyptian engineer for a Cadillac Seville, and he was working on a 2CV.

He was waiting for an engine replacement to come in from France, and I looked over the car and was shocked when he mentioned that the model year was 1953! The car was almost as old as I was, and showed very little wear.

It made we wonder why Chrysler couldn't design and market something like it, basic transportation--light weight, low tech, and yes, cheap?

Thanks for the memory!

Last edited by PAULSTS1; 02-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Too bad this isn't coming out now... it would be a GUARANTEED hit. I mean it will later anyways... but it would be a big plus right now in this dead market. The French are begging for a reason to jump fully back onto the domestic car market (they already support it very well)... and the DS will be the car to make many of them do it.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by chaseabryant View Post
    I had attempted to find a vintage one near me when I was looking for vehicles... parts would be a bitch, but man, what a cool vehicle!
    Not when you have a contact here man!

My boss has a DS that he shipped back to Canada and a 2CV that he's restoring here. He said parts are as easy to find as for any current vehicle. There are entire websites and catalogues set up for the DS and 2CV. He said you can order ANYTHING by internet, and have it shipped to Europe or the US / Canada. If you ever find one don't let the fear of finding parts get in your way...!

I'm really excited about this! I'm, also glad to read that they aim to keep it as a small car. That means it should be relatively affordable (as opposed to making it the C6 replacement at the top-end of the market). Citroen should really go the totally quirky route and let Peugeot cover the traditional market. Citroen ahd some truly wonderful designs over the years.

I wonder if this will inspire Renault to pull out the old Ami6 and Ami8 and 4L sketches...

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

The DS always looked like Sam the Eagle to me.

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    I thought I was the only person in the USA that actually liked Citroen. My favorite was the SM sold in the US from 1971-1973, it featured hydraulic suspensions, and the best leather interiors this side of Audi.

Please keep us updated on these events, I would appreciate it!

I really like the long 2 door from the early 70's.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Accord, 1989 LeBaron GTC

This is really great, now it would be a good time for someone to announce the 4th Fantomas movie :
    Last edited by artrix; 02-04-2009 at 04:30 AM.
    Current rides:
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo II
    2010 Honda Accord Type S

Past:
    2000 Ford/Mercury Cougar V6
    2003 Honda Accord Euro

Thanks

Apparently, Citroen is going into branding schizophrenia, launching a "semi-premium" sub-brand within Citroen... I am not quite sure whether this will work, even though I root for classic Citroens and the brand as such...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information