C&D: FWD Mercedes "Baby CLS"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: C&D: FWD Mercedes "Baby CLS"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

C&D: FWD Mercedes "Baby CLS"

Mercedes: FWD Baby CLS in 18 Months, Three Models Based on A-class to Follow a Year Apart

January 12, 2012 at 3:29pm by Justin Berkowitz

Between three and five little Benzes are in store for us—final decisions are still pending—with the most likely tally being four. The first arrives in about a year and a half, with one body style debuting every year thereafter. Here’s what we expect will make the cut, and what won’t.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...-a-year-apart/
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: C&D: FWD Mercedes "Baby CLS"

Well, I think some folks are going to lose their lunches when/if this happens. All the bad press Cadillac got for FWD cars should result in similar bad press for Mercedes. But somehow I think there will be lots of odd justifications as to how and why it's OK for Mercedes but not OK for Cadillac...

I await this new CLS with excitement if for no other reason than the mental gymnastics that will ensue thereafter .
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Well, I think some folks are going to lose their lunches when/if this happens. All the bad press Cadillac got for FWD cars should result in similar bad press for Mercedes. But somehow I think there will be lots of odd justifications as to how and why it's OK for Mercedes but not OK for Cadillac...

I await this new CLS with excitement if for no other reason than the mental gymnastics that will ensue thereafter .
    Oh, it's "when", not "if". There are spy shots there of a FWD sedan with a fast-back profile.

By the way, I don't think this "baby CLS" is intended as a replacement, but an additional model. Probably lower in price.

And yes, it will be interesting to read the back-pedalling when it begins.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

I think it's a fairly simple argument, no mental gymnastics needed. It's on the B platform, isn't it? I think it is... Not sure, though. The smaller a car gets, the less sense it makes to make it RWD. FWD affords more interior space. I guess it's a question as to whether to sacrifice luxury or performance. They don't make a full-size car with FWD. Cadillac has and is going to.

I don't think Mercedes deserves special treatment, but somethings just make sense. It depends how big the car is, I don't know too much about it, though.

My prediction? PAIN. It's going to be another ugly as sin POS that people are going to make excuses for to call it a luxury sedan.

Thanks

It doesn't matter if it makes sense, it has to do with fanbois who believe that luxury cars are only RWD -- though Audi gets a pass with their AWD here, but FWD in Europe.

The fact remains, if it's wearing a MB badge and it's FWD then that requires some major mental gymnastics to justify for those who have previously proclaimed that a luxury car can only be RWD.

Personally, I think RWD can only be justified if you want to have a performance sedan. From a luxury perspective I couldn't care less. Besides, as Audi has shown, you can simply leverage AWD to make a car perform as well or better than a RWD car. And with all the HP companies are dumping into cars AWD is probably the only way to ensure that power actually does something other than enrich tire companies.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    It doesn't matter if it makes sense, it has to do with fanbois who believe that luxury cars are only RWD -- though Audi gets a pass with their AWD here, but FWD in Europe.

The fact remains, if it's wearing a MB badge and it's FWD then that requires some major mental gymnastics to justify for those who have previously proclaimed that a luxury car can only be RWD.

Personally, I think RWD can only be justified if you want to have a performance sedan. From a luxury perspective I couldn't care less. Besides, as Audi has shown, you can simply leverage AWD to make a car perform as well or better than a RWD car. And with all the HP companies are dumping into cars AWD is probably the only way to ensure that power actually does something other than enrich tire companies.
    Holy front overhang batman:

I think I'll pass. FWD is fine for lower priced cars like the B-class/"baby CLS" but as you creep up to $50k and beyond, it doesn't work for me. Audi goes through all the trouble of including AWD, making the cars lighter to accommodate it reasonably, mounting the engine longitudinally to improve weight distribution and aesthetics, it makes you wonder why they just don't build them RWD once and for all.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Looks like loads of headroom in the back of that sedan. Seriously, the only nice looking car on the page is the concept. And the front of it's just disgusting.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Audi goes through all the trouble of including AWD, making the cars lighter to accommodate it reasonably, mounting the engine longitudinally to improve weight distribution and aesthetics, it makes you wonder why they just don't build them RWD once and for all.
    Indeed. Recent Audis on the MLB platform have been blessed with a more rearward mounting of the drivetrain, along with an abundance of exotic metals used within said drivetrain in order to simultaneously overcome the twofold dilemma of nose-heavy weight distribution and FWD proportioning. Their quest to improve weight distribution appears to have been successful: The design aesthetics are largely a matter of taste.

Combine all of the above with rear biased AWD, and what you essentially have here is Audi reverse-engineering a RWD car, which to me at least seems counter-intuitive.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbirderic View Post
    Indeed. Recent Audis on the MLB platform have been blessed with a more rearward mounting of the drivetrain, along with an abundance of exotic metals used within said drivetrain in order to simultaneously overcome the twofold dilemma of nose-heavy weight distribution and FWD proportioning. Their quest to improve weight distribution appears to have been successful: The design aesthetics are largely a matter of taste.

Combine all of the above with rear biased AWD, and what you essentially have here is Audi reverse-engineering a RWD car, which to me at least seems counter-intuitive.
    No worries. This is also the company that has the 911, wherein they keep the engine in the wrong place and keep loading up the electronics to hide the fact.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information