Bugatti Galibier to be "faster than anything on the market"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Bugatti Galibier to be "faster than anything on the market"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

By Jonathon Ramsey

Posted Aug 20th 2012 5:31PM

Before Wolfgang Dürheimer moves to Audi, he's still got a few jobs to finish as head of Bentley and Bugatti, one of them being to oversee the development of the 16C Galibier. It was back in 2009 that the two-tone concept had audiences agog, and rumors and leaks since then have had everyone wondering if the four-seat fastback will ever become reality. To hit 'rewind' on the rumormill, the Galibier was initially greenlit in early 2011 and tipped to go into production this year, a timeframe that was later revised to next year. The model was earmarked to have less than 1,000 horsepower and optional hybrid power, and at the same time, the design was meant to be finalized, but it was instead reportedly scrapped for not being outrageous enough. The Galibier then went back to the design bureau and the horsepower was subsequently announced as surpassing the four-digit mark.

Production is now planned for somewhere around 2015, and according to Dürheimer's chat with Car and Driver, the Galibier on the way will be original and blindingly fast. The executive would only commit to the "over 1,000 hp" line, but C/D believes the ouput will be around 1,400 non-hybridized ponies. Whatever the final number is, it is said to get the Galibier beyond 235 mph and, Durheimer said, be "faster than anything on the market" – and that includes wares from the aftermarket sector. Dürheimer also says the Galibier will have technologies that are automotive firsts.

What remains to be decided is the candy coating that will envelop all that sweetness, since "the final design still is in flux." We'd heard before that the hatchback's entire rear end is being redesigned, but it appears that if nothing else, the eight tailpipes will remain.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/20/b...on-the-market/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Bugatti Galibier to be "faster than anything on the market"

... and more expensive too...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post

... and more expensive too...

Pretty much what I was thinking. For the price they'll charge I fully expect this. That aside, I'm really looking forward to this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

How long can it sustain its speed before stopping for a fill up? I suspect a vehicle like a ZR1 or S Class can get you to a place faster.. due to longer stints high speeds in Germany of course, Hypothetically...

Walking
    Thanks

For how much it'll lighten your wallet it better not only be fast but should also be able to scratch "those areas" when the need arises.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

A certain company with a name often found on quality spirits has said that if VW/ Audi were to open the gates of Ehra Lessein that they would indeed have a car that would not back down to the Galibier.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting. I like the way the original Galibier looked quite a bit.

On the other hand, aren't there a few other players in this "fastest car in the world" segment now with serious entries? Koenigsegg has a 1200 horsepower version of one of its cars, the Agera R, I think, and it's lighter and lower than the Veyron. Plus Shelby Super Cars is having another go with their upcoming Tuatara.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    How long can it sustain its speed before stopping for a fill up? I suspect a vehicle like a ZR1 or S Class can get you to a place faster.. due to longer stints high speeds in Germany of course, Hypothetically...
    I think one of the early reviews of the Bugatti Veyron, maybe on Top Gear, had it on a high speed run. The driver said something like, "At this speed, the tires will only last about 20 miles. But that's fine, because the gas will only last for 14."

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    Interesting. I like the way the original Galibier looked quite a bit.

On the other hand, aren't there a few other players in this "fastest car in the world" segment now with serious entries? Koenigsegg has a 1200 horsepower version of one of its cars, the Agera R, I think, and it's lighter and lower than the Veyron. Plus Shelby Super Cars is having another go with their upcoming Tuatara.

I think one of the early reviews of the Bugatti Veyron, maybe on Top Gear, had it on a high speed run. The driver said something like, "At this speed, the tires will only last about 20 miles. But that's fine, because the gas will only last for 14."
    The Galibier is a sedan, and thusly they speak of it being faster than anything with 4 doors.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

This sort of vehicle is the type that should be taxed out of existence. We do not have roads built for them not are they compatible with other vehicles on the road. They are racing cars and should only be allowed to be used as such. Sure they are great engineering marvels but do we really need to have them available?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    This sort of vehicle is the type that should be taxed out of existence. We do not have roads built for them not are they compatible with other vehicles on the road. They are racing cars and should only be allowed to be used as such. Sure they are great engineering marvels but do we really need to have them available?
    Truthfully the Veyron actually makes a poor racing car due to it's size, and relatively porcine weight.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    But if they are taxed out of existence, what will all the ultra-successful rappers drive around and flaunt to the general public? They need something other than Escalades, you know!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information