***BMW Museum***

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: ***BMW Museum***

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cawimmer430's Avatar
    Thanks

***BMW Museum***

Here are the pictures of the BMW Museum. However, this wasn't the "real BMW Museum" as we know it. I arrived in Munich quite surprised that this was just a "temporary museum". Next to this makeshift museum was a construction site with a building in progress that vaguely looked like the Mercedes-Benz Museum over in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim.

Imagestation Album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2100827277

The first shots are of the early models.

1928 Wartburg Type I: 479cc 2-cylinder inline, 4-horsepower, 3-speed manual, 40 km/h top speed.

1931 BM 3/15 PS DA Convertible: 748.5cc 4-cylinder inline, 15-horsepower, 3-speed manual, 75 km/h top speed.

1933 BMW 3/20 PS Roadster: 788cc 4-cylinder inline, 20-horsepower @ 3,500 RPM, 4-speed manual, 80 km/h top speed.

1933 BMW 303 Limousine: 1182cc 6-cylinder inline, 30-horsepower, 4-speed manual, 90 km/h top speed. The 303 was the BMW that set out the layout for all following BMW's. It was the first BMW with a lively 6-cylinder engine and the famous kidney grille.

1939 BMW 328 Touring Coupe: 1971cc 6-cylinder inline, 136-horsepower, 220 km/h top speed. A replica of the famous 328 which won the 2-liter Le Mans class as well as the 1940 (yes, 1940!) Mille Miglia.

1960 BMW 502 2.6 "Baroque Angel": 2580cc V8, 100-horsepower, 4-speed manual, 160 km/h top speed. The infamous 502, known as the "Baroque Angel" in Germany. I believe this was the first BMW sedan to be offered with an 8-cylinder engine.

1958 BMW 503: 3168cc V8, 140-horsepower, 4-speed manual, 190 km/h top speed. Only 139 503's were made from 1956 to 1960 making it one of the most rare BMW's ever. In my experience, not many BMW fans even know about this car as it stood in the shadow of the 507 and 502. The 503 was one of the first cars to feature a body that was constructed out of aluminum.

1960 BMW 700 Rennsport Coupe: 697cc 2-cylinder boxer engine, 60-horsepower, 170 km/h top speed. The 700 Rennsport was created to demonstrate the sporting potential of the stock 700 models. The car shown won the 12-hour endurance race at Hockenheim and Monza.

1959 BMW Isetta: 245cc 1-cylinder, 12-horsepower, 85 km/h top speed. The famous Isetta, no explanation needed. But for those of you who know nothing about it, it was designed to reach warp speeds in order to transport their owners into different time periods (aka "time machine").

I forgot to photograph the info bars for these two hotties. The red car is a BMW 2000 while the white one is a 3.0S - sounds fast.

Random pics...

After World War II, BMW was forbidden by the Allies to produce any sort of industrial machinery, so they turned to making bicycles. Only 17 were produced however.

BMW R1150 GS: This motorcycle made it through all of the worlds deserts. It was chosen by the "Desert photographer" Michael Martin and his camera woman Elke Wallner as their ride. In 1999 they left Munich and 5 years later, they had made it through all of the worlds deserts including the those of the Middle East, Iran, Central Asia, the Thar, Takla Makan and the Gobi.

View of the upcoming BMW Museum and the old BMW Museum.

1950 BMW R51/2: This was BMW's first post-war boxer-engined motorcycle. 494cc 2-cylinder boxer engine, 24-hp and a top speed of 135 km/h.

1935 BMW World Record-Breaking Motorcycle 750cc "Henne": In 1929 Ernst Henne set up the first of a total of 76 world records on a 750cc supercharged motorcycle derived from the R37, posting a record speed of 216.75 km/h. This motorcycle was continually evolved by Sepp Hopf and Rudolf Schleicher and, in its final version of 1935, managed to claim a new absolute world record for BMW on the 27th September of 1935 with a top speed of 256 km/h (159 mph).

1974 BMW 2002L: 1990cc 4-cylinder, 100-horsepower, 4/5-speed manual, 170 km/h top speed. The L version of the 2002 models was a more luxurious version. It included wood on the dashboard, more luxurious seats, heated rear window, center armrest and a lockable fuel cap.

1979 BMW 518i: 1766cc 4-cylinder, 90-horsepower, 4/5-speed manual or automatic, 160 km/h top speed. The 518i was the entry level model of the 1970s 5-series sedans. 132,281 were made from 1974-1981.

1987 BMW 735i: 3430cc 6-cylinder, 211-horsepower, 5-speed manual or automatic, 230 km/h top speed. The second generation 7-series was designed with the aid of the latest computer technology. The engines offered in this range produced 188-300-horsepower.

1991 BMW Z1: 2494cc 6-cylinder, 170-horsepower, 5-speed manual, 220 km/h.

1993 BMW 850CSi: 5576cc V12, 380-horsepower, 6-speed manual, 250 km/h (limited). The V12 super sports car from BMW.

2001 BMW 745h "Hydrogen Car": 4398cc V8, 184-horsepower, 6-speed A/T, 215 km/h. The BMW 745h uses the V8 engine of the 745i, but with hydrogen as its fuel source.

1983 Brabham BMW BT52 Turbo: 1499cc 4-cylinder, 630-790-horsepower (depending on turbo boost configurations), 340 km/h top speed. This is the car that Nelson Piquet won the 1983 World Championships with. And people say "4-cylinders suck"...

Williams F1 BMW FW25: 2998cc V10. No mention of horsepower and top speed, top secret I guess.

Various BMW racecars including an M1.

BMW 132 World War II aircraft engine employed in aircraft like the Focke-Wulf FW-200 "Condor", Junkers Ju-52, Dornier Do-17, Henschel HS-123, Junkers Ju-86 and the Junkers Ju-90. The engine became famous for its use in the civilian airliner, the trimotor Junkers Ju-52. It was continually refined during World War II. 9-cylinder radial engine with 690-horsepower. Fuel-injected variants produced over 1,000-horsepower.

Rebuilding a BMW 528 from scratch: Arthur Heimann is a master mechanic with a passion for older BMW's. Here he is building a BMW 528 using original BMW parts. I have to say "DAMN!!!". The dude has SKILLZ.

Some BMW aero engine related info...

What the new BMW Museum will look like...

The Olympia Turm across from the makeshift museum next to the Olympiastadion.

BMW History

Hope you liked the pics!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 2,110 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: ***BMW Museum***

Great pics!!! It's been a while since I've been in Munich. All I had the chance to do was visit BMW's Dingolfing plant.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Man, id take that 1939 328 Touring off their hands if they needed to get rid of it lol..Great pics, it's always been amazing to me looking at the history of both American and foreign car manufacturers and seeing how they evolve over the course of time compared to one another....like how the mid 70s to late 80's were just a ugly era for cars, universaly ha.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Marvelous pictures. The last time I was in Munich I spent too much time wandering roundshops with the wife and forgot the BMW Museum (!!) so was a bit disappointed to say the least.

cawimmer, the old BMW museum is the one that goes upwards in a spiral is it not?

I presume the new one is going to be of epic proportions like the new Mercedes Museum?

I regret I didn't actually have the chance to go in the new Mercedes museum (off topic here - sorry!) as there was at least 3 or 4 hours' worth of waiting before you even got a ticket, so I just went round all the new cars which were next door and had a sit in them, play with the gadgets which was good enough, though I'd love to do the Museum if it wasn't as packed on day. I really enjoyed the new cars bit though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro

Great pics!!! It's been a while since I've been in Munich. All I had the chance to do was visit BMW's Dingolfing plant.
    Thanks.

This was only a "temporary museum" as they're building a newer museum as we speak which will be capable of housing more exhibitions than the current one. Once that place is finished, I am definitely checking it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoeyHimself
    Man, id take that 1939 328 Touring off their hands if they needed to get rid of it lol..Great pics, it's always been amazing to me looking at the history of both American and foreign car manufacturers and seeing how they evolve over the course of time compared to one another....like how the mid 70s to late 80's were just a ugly era for cars, universaly ha.
    Thanks.

For some reason, I love cars from the 1970s, especially those big American land yachts like a Chrysler New Yorker from 1973 or a 1976 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, a 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV and of course the '74 Dodge Monaco. A lot of people don't seem to like 1970s cars much, but I do! LOL

I think the 1970s were actually a major turning point in car design. The trend was to develop something more efficient and clean looking rather than glitzy etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomprice
    Marvelous pictures. The last time I was in Munich I spent too much time wandering roundshops with the wife and forgot the BMW Museum (!!) so was a bit disappointed to say the least.
    Thanks Tom.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll make back to Munich again someday and by then the new BMW Museum will be finished with even more exhibitions etc.

cawimmer, the old BMW museum is the one that goes upwards in a spiral is it not?
    Correct. It's almost shaped like a piston but with four circular silo-like designs sticking out of it and forming that piston. I believe the nickname for the building is "the 4-cylinder", but don't quote me on that!

I presume the new one is going to be of epic proportions like the new Mercedes Museum?
    Yep. It will probably be on a similar scale to the new Mercedes-Benz Museum. The design, from these pictures, looks to be similar as well. I need to read up on it, but perhaps Ben van Berkel has a hand in designing the new BMW Museum (he's the Dutchman who designed the new Mercedes Museum together with Tobias Wallisser).

I regret I didn't actually have the chance to go in the new Mercedes museum (off topic here - sorry!) as there was at least 3 or 4 hours' worth of waiting before you even got a ticket, so I just went round all the new cars which were next door and had a sit in them, play with the gadgets which was good enough, though I'd love to do the Museum if it wasn't as packed on day. I really enjoyed the new cars bit though.
    No fear, cawimmer430 is here! <--- Does that rhyme?

Here's my trip to the Mercedes-Benz Museum: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35257

I visited the place four days after it opened it was just heaven for a hardcore Mercedes-fan like me. I plan on visiting the place again as they constantly get new exhibitions.

Thanks

Y'all don't have to worry about going to Germany. BMW has a great museum at their US plant in Greer SC. It is called The Zentrum.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information