GM Inside News Forum banner

88' mercedes benz 300sel

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Smaart Aas Saabr 
#1 ·
http://images.craigslist.org/5I75Ed5K93G23Fb3L7c5g0bcb4f72eee11976.jpg

looking at this car and planning on buying it to use as a commuter for college. the milage is 160k and asking price is 2300$

I would like some advice on this decision and would like to know if these cars are known to break down or if the asking price is too high.

please and thanks JA

ps. yes im a noob

#3 ·
Proper punctuation is '88.

Just lease an Avenger or 200 V6! That car looks like it's been pimped out. I wouldn't buy toothpicks off Criags List.

Reset.

#5 ·
It appears to me to have had the front door resprayed. I guess it is a 1988 vehicle so expecting it to be pristine is asking a lot. benz motors are pretty well built and it should not have had required any major engine work at 160k (if you believe the odometer). I had a 280SE which didn't require head work until 280,000k and this is typical. My motor was an M110 and I think the 300SEL will be an M103, still they are built to the same standards. I would get a Mercedes mechanic to give it a once over -look at it as an investment as getting a bad Benz puts a hole in your pocket. It hasn't been pimped out either -the wheels are optional AMG ones I think but are very common on 300SELs here in Aus.

#6 ·
Its probably been hit. I had an 89 420, years ago. Loved it. Bullet proof.
Have had a lot of family members buy from Craigs List. Repairs will be pricey because its an old Benz....

Its hard to find anything good for around 2 K.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Just remember, if you can afford to buy a German car, you have to also be able to afford to fix a German car. Maybe it won't need much work, but anything will be expensive.

#10 ·
Cost of ownership for these kinds of cars should be very low. Just drive them until they break down and then buy another $2500 car. Don't spend any money on repairs unless it small things like tires. If the car lasts 12 months, it was a good deal and you got to own a mercedes.

#13 ·
I say buy it. Even if it turns out to be a four-wheeled turd, you can at least take solace in knowing that you bought what was arguably one of the finest M-B's ever produced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.