2018 Audi A8 teaser - AI remote parking pilot

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2018 Audi A8 teaser - AI remote parking pilot

Thanks

2018 Audi A8 teaser - AI remote parking pilot

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,761 Times in 5,641 Posts

Re: 2018 Audi A8 teaser - AI remote parking pilot

That guy is way too young for that kid. Poor casting.

Car looks good. Interior looks like it's barely changed.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,786 Times in 3,286 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    That guy is way too young for that kid. Poor casting.

Car looks good. Interior looks like it's barely changed.
    Interior design in German cars rarely makes great leaps forward..

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 568 Posts

Curious how that self-parking feature works. How does it decide which side of the garage to park in? Head-in or out? Will it drive around obstacles etc.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Curious how that self-parking feature works. How does it decide which side of the garage to park in? Head-in or out? Will it drive around obstacles etc.
    Its the most basic of self driving features. Lexus could do a rudimentary version of it a decade ago

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Its the most basic of self driving features. Lexus could do a rudimentary version of it a decade ago
    I'm not saying it is difficult to implement (I can think of at least three different approaches). However, unlike driving on a road, which is usually governed by a set of (normally) well-defined rules, how one parks at home is almost entirely a matter of preferences. I'm just curious how one tells the car what those preferences are.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks
    My Ride

I'm not saying it is difficult to implement (I can think of at least three different approaches). However, unlike driving on a road, which is usually governed by a set of (normally) well-defined rules, how one parks at home is almost entirely a matter of preferences. I'm just curious how one tells the car what those preferences are.
    Its probably a pre-scanned area of preference fed to the AI and saved... as in as the car approaches your house, it uses the GPS to determine through AI where it is and then the scanned data saved in the AI is accessed and it uses pre-determined markers to go where you pre-programed it.. sort of like docking a space ship in deep space nine station

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Its probably a pre-scanned area of preference fed to the AI and saved... as in as the car approaches your house, it uses the GPS to determine through AI where it is and then the scanned data saved in the AI is accessed and it uses pre-determined markers to go where you pre-programed it.. sort of like docking a space ship in deep space nine station
    Using pre-programmed markers sounds like a good bet. Now that you mention it, I think Audi had some auto-parking demos a few months back using markers placed in a specific parking spot, which is similar in concept.

But that also makes the feature not very useful as you can pretty much only use it at home. Hardly anyone has the luxury of pre-planning where to park anywhere else.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (06-13-2017)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

But that also makes the feature not very useful as you can pretty much only use it at home. Hardly anyone has the luxury of pre-planning where to park anywhere else.
    In combination with autonomous driving, it should solve that problem by itself. It's an AI, after all.

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    In combination with autonomous driving, it should solve that problem by itself. It's an AI, after all.
    What would be cool is to have a way to reserve a parking space in advance based on estimated arrival time at destination (and start paying based on estimated arrival time). This wouldn't be to just reserve *a* parking space (like you can do today in some parking structures), but to reserve a specific spot. Then, you can get out of the car wherever you want and have the car go off and park itself in the designated spot.

What to do when the autonomous car gets to the designated parking spot and finds some a**h*** already parked there? Enter a fleet of autonomous tow trucks running around the city that come to the aid of autonomous cars in distress and haul away the cars of the said a**h***s.

There, I just designed the parking infrastructure for the autonomous tomorrow. Better go patent it before anyone reads this.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

What would be cool is to have a way to reserve a parking space in advance based on estimated arrival time at destination (and start paying based on estimated arrival time). This wouldn't be to just reserve *a* parking space (like you can do today in some parking structures), but to reserve a specific spot. Then, you can get out of the car wherever you want and have the car go off and park itself in the designated spot.

What to do when the autonomous car gets to the designated parking spot and finds some a**h*** already parked there? Enter a fleet of autonomous tow trucks running around the city that come to the aid of autonomous cars in distress and haul away the cars of the said a**h***s.

There, I just designed the parking infrastructure for the autonomous tomorrow. Better go patent it before anyone reads this.
    After London and Paris, I live in the third crowded place in Europe. Finding a parking spot isn't that problem. Finding a parking spot near the destination is. Such a system would make it much easier for a lot of people, but not for everyone. That's true.

Thanks

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bronx13 View Post
    Is that a refreshed Challenger?

Last edited by emh; 06-14-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information