The 2015 Volkswagen Passat Looks Nice - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Volkswagen Passat Looks Nice

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,046 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: The 2015 Volkswagen Passat Looks Nice

When a car becomes a pain in h butt to on because reliability is less than stellar I don't give a crap ht it looks like.

This passat in the first drawing /photo looks good. Th other photos look pretty lame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Most US-market VW engines are the soulless, gutless 2.5L I5.
    Well to be fair, its been replaced across the board with the new 1.8T for this year (which is excellent IMO). It is mated to a traditional 6 speed auto (not the DSG), but I have driven both the 2.5 auto and 1.8T auto now (same tranny) and I would never call the transmission lazy. Honestly, other manufacturers could learn from VW, I think they are that good. Theup-trims with DSG are insane good, and the TDi and 2.0T are stand out powertrains

As for the Euro spec Passat, it does look excellent, I hope the NA version follows cue. The current one is elegant but perhaps a tad understated.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Usual design for VW. This all new Passat B8 looks like a facelifted B7(not sold in USA). So it's not an ugly car but it's not a spectacular design or design which brings emotions. It's suc a petty that such a talented designer like de Silva works for VAG.

For Europe they offer great choice of engine options:
    GASOLINE:
    - 1.4 TSI - 125 HP
    - 1.4 TSI - 150 HP
    - 1.8 TSI - 180 HP
    - 2.0 TSI - 225 HP
    - 2.0 TSI - 280 HP
    DIESLES:
    - 1.6 TDI - 120 HP
    - 2.0 TDI - 150 HP
    - 2.0 TDI - 190 HP
    - 2.0 TDI - 240 HP
    Also there is PHEV option. Again VW will not offer classic HD automatics and will still offer classic HD automatics and will again use automated dual-clutch transmissions. Old 6-speed dual-wet-clutch DSG DQ250 is near of EOL and will be substituted with 7-speed dual-wet-clutch DQ380. Other two automatic(automated) transmissions are small 7 speed dual-dry-clutch DQ200 for engines with up to 250 Nm of torque and other is 7 speed dual-wet-clutch DQ500 for big engines(up to 600 Nm as I know) like for new bi-turbo 2.0 TDI with 240 HP and 500 Nm.

What is interesting is weight saving up to 100 kg compared to old Passat B7 while they increased wheelbase by 8 cm.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I wish we'd just get this Passat with removed options/features that suit American markets better. For example, the 2006-2011 Passat was a few grand more expensive as standard than an Accord of Camry. But I think it was built in Europe (raising costs, someone correct me if I'm wrong about where NA Passats were built) and had the 2.0T as standard. Built in the US with the 2.5L I-5 at the time should've been more than enough to get the price reduced by a few grand across the board right? A similar structure seems plausible to me for a new US-spec Passat rather than a completely different design - which despite the relaxed tuning, big space, and more competitive pricing, has still not gained share in the US market as Hyundai or Kia have.

As a side note, one interesting thing I thought might be unique for VW would be offering a powerful but efficient TDI V-6. It'd easily have the performance of a gas V-6 or turbo-4, but with economy numbers like a NA I-4 (if not better based on EPA numbers for diesel German sedans). With the new TDI I-4 going up to 240 horsepower though, this may not be necessary anymore because that's already on par with the turbo-4 gas engines in the Fusion and (new) Sonata. But still, a 280 horsepower 3.0T diesel with upper-30s on the highway, if not even better?
    Last edited by Amphibian; 07-09-2014 at 07:20 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,850 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

The 2006-2011 Passat wasn't built in the US so imported from somewhere, probably Germany.

The 2011-on Passat for North America is essentially a Skoda Superb, badged as a VW Passat, built in the US to reduce costs.

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 927 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by gcodori View Post
    At one point the passat was the same in both the us and Europe. The car was too small and to expensive for American tastes so they designed the passat we have here.

Now there are two versions. The smaller but nicer euro passat and the bland but cheap us version.

My hope is that vw brings this to the us so they can be the same car again but vw had proven they make poor choices when bringing designs to the us.

The rumor is that the redesigned tdi engines will at least come to the us.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    When the US received the same Passat, those were manufactured in Germany, weren't they or at least somewhere in Europe? The difference in currency + shipping has always doomed non luxury based European vehicles. Now that they have plants in NA, I am surprised they haven't brought the design more inline with the Euro spec, at least in features and design language.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

The U.S. will not get the Passat estate?

Hidden Content GeneratinGMobilizing
    Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    The U.S. will not get the Passat estate?

Vw like most auto makers have stopped selling wagons in the US.

Vw had shown a concept Wagon for the us but has failed to deliver on concepts intended for the US in the past. It's a raised awd version of the Wagon disguised as an suv.

But rest assured if they can drop another overpriced suv on us they will figure out how.

Sad.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

You mean the SUV that will be built at VW's Chattanooga plant?

Hidden Content GeneratinGMobilizing
    Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    You mean the SUV that will be built at VW's Chattanooga plant?

Yes. It's a lot smaller in real life.

There's a photo of it being introduced to the public and the executive standing next to it is either a giant or this is golf or jetta sized. Why even bother?

Who's going to pay vw money for a crv sized vehicle?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,163 Times in 4,393 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I'd have to say it's an improvement over the Invisible Forgettable Undercover FBI Model currently sold.

That said, the front looks somewhat Cadillac-ish and the rear looks Buick-ish to my eyes. But I won't be buying any VWs in the near future so, as the man so famously said, WHO CARES?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Why on earth wouldn't they sell the Euro one here? Too small?
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    Why on earth wouldn't they sell the Euro one here? Too small?
    I doubt it's too small, but I think VW would prefer selling Americans a product of large size for the segment akin to the current NA Passat or Honda Accord. One of the other issues was that the Passat was essentially "too premium" for the American midsize family sedan segment. And in fact, it probably was. The previous Passat had a notably higher base price compared to the Camcords of that era and could be loaded up to nearly 40K (if not more). I remember C&D testing a 2006 VR6 that was ~38K. Of course that had a level of interior quality, features, and so on that exceeded most family sedans and badge aside, was probably perfectly in line with the "premiumness" that one would see in the TLs or 3-Series at that range.

But of course the reality was that it still was just too expensive to have the same universal appeal of the Camcord leaders of the segment. What I'd have done when the current Euro Passat B7 was launched is to have that car instead -devoid of obvious overly luxury options like the real wood trim, etc- built at the plant in the US with the engines that we have available in our current NA Passat. Probably would've been cheaper than designing a new NA-spec car, but I think VW expected the extra size to help the NA car more than it has thus far.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I doubt it's too small, but I think VW would prefer selling Americans a product of large size for the segment akin to the current NA Passat or Honda Accord. One of the other issues was that the Passat was essentially "too premium" for the American midsize family sedan segment. And in fact, it probably was. The previous Passat had a notably higher base price compared to the Camcords of that era and could be loaded up to nearly 40K (if not more). I remember C&D testing a 2006 VR6 that was ~38K. Of course that had a level of interior quality, features, and so on that exceeded most family sedans and badge aside, was probably perfectly in line with the "premiumness" that one would see in the TLs or 3-Series at that range.

But of course the reality was that it still was just too expensive to have the same universal appeal of the Camcord leaders of the segment. What I'd have done when the current Euro Passat B7 was launched is to have that car instead -devoid of obvious overly luxury options like the real wood trim, etc- built at the plant in the US with the engines that we have available in our current NA Passat. Probably would've been cheaper than designing a new NA-spec car, but I think VW expected the extra size to help the NA car more than it has thus far.
    It has nothing to do with how different the markets are because what actually happened was that the US and China actually god a new car while the Europeans got nothing. When the NMS Passat was almost ready to entire production a few years ago the European market was dead as a doornail and "midsize sedans" were going nowhere. The only new midsize sedan to come out during that period in Europe was the Mondeo/Fusion. The markets where midsize sedans were growing are the US and China, and that's where NMS went. Both the Chinese and US markets demands a ~110" wheelbase car, which is where Camry, Accord and Altima/Teana are the B7 "Euro" Passat that is also sold in China under FAW-VW is a 110" wheelbase version. The European B7 was a 106". Who knows what they would have done if the European market wasn't dead but as it stands they didn't introduce a new Passat because there was no point.

GM for some reason did the opposite of everyone else and turned the new Malibu into a 107" WB European car and sold that in the US/China too, where it doesn't compete with anything other than the Regal. So there, if you want a tiny European car with no backseat then you can get the Malibu. Heck of a job there GM!
    Last edited by tentacles; 07-24-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gcodori View Post
    Yes. It's a lot smaller in real life.

There's a photo of it being introduced to the public and the executive standing next to it is either a giant or this is golf or jetta sized. Why even bother?

Who's going to pay vw money for a crv sized vehicle?

I care nothing about VW. In fact, my wife had a Tiguan when we met, and it was a piece of crap. We traded it in earlier this year. That being said, living here in Chattanooga, I know way more about VW than I care to.

The Cross Blue won't be CRV sized. They're saying it's VW's answer to the Acadia, Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc. They keep harping on the fact that it will have seven seats. If this is wrong and it's a CRV competitor, our local news outlets have had the story all wrong (which I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out, but still).

Meanwhile, if the Passat built here is getting a facelift, I haven't heard. I could have certainly missed it though.
    Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    The Heartbeat of America... that's today's Chevrolet

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information