2015 Golf/GTI

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Golf/GTI

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

2015 Golf/GTI

I hope GM is taking notice on what VW has done with the new Golf, more specifically the GTI. VW has a winner on their hands, especially with the GTI.

-Gorgeous interior with tight, precise panel gaps and fits.
    -Exterior is "meh" because it's a Golf. The DRLs and HIDs look good though, in typical VW/Audi fashion.
    -Fuel efficiency looks awesome at 25 city/33 highway for the GTI. 37 MPG highway for the Golf (I think 27 city).
    -Sporty handling for the Golf, class leading handling for the GTI. (Word is it out handles the current 3 Series). Torque steer is nonexistent especially with the Limited Slip Differential.

Those are just a few highlights, but I was originally torn between an ATS, A3 or 3 Series but now the GTI is the leader in the clubhouse for my next set of wheels. I really hope GM has something in store for customers in the high $20-low $30k premium market soon. The Verano Turbo doesn't cut the mustard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Re: 2015 Golf/GTI

I have a buddy who has a 2010 GTi with a stage 2 APR tune, which brings it to close to 300hp/300tq for about $600-700, which is not bad. I drove it the other day and all I can say is wow. You can't even feel the extra power driving normally until you give it some gas then it goes and he said he has even been getting better gas mileage. I wish GM would develope the Sonic a bit more and give it some go fast goodies, the basic car is actually pretty good it just needs the 2.0T in there. Our next car was going to be maybe a used 2014 CTS with the 2.0T but now I'm thinking maybe either a Jetta GLI or GTI with a stage 2 APR tune will be better. So if you decide to get a GTI, make sure you get a tune done by APR, I guarantee you won't regret it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

New GTI will be made in Mexico. No thanks!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

VW has done what appears to be an excellent job on this new Gen VII Golf. Some call the looks bland, I personally think its the correct move as the looks are edgy enough to appeal to a mass market and yet won't age so badly like some more ploarizing and agressive designs. Looks of course are subjective, but that's my 0.02$ on it.

The whole MQB Platform idea is brilliant on how they executed it. They also do not shy away from bringing all the varients and performance packages over (The MQB platform allows them to easily do that). The golf can be had in bargin basement 1.8T trim or all the way up to the 294 hp R-Spec with AWD and DSG (all be it, that one might be imported from Germany for the time being). You can have hatch or a wagon, how about deisel in those varients?...no problem says VW. Funny how they have no issues federalizing all these varients, yet GM says it's not worth it. Also and IMO the new NMC concept which is also based on the MQB platform will be the new Jetta.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JuMPy For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't had nearly the problems as other VW owners but quality issues is what makes me hesitate on buying another VW. Other than that after sitting in the new GTI at the car show I came away highly impressed. Definitely a huge step up from the previous model. GM has abandoned us compact sport car owners.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 12’ Infiniti M37S
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

One of the few upcoming cars that is definitely on the radar.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,762 Times in 5,642 Posts

Astra GTC OPC, please.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    One of the few upcoming cars that is definitely on the radar.
    Hatchbacks were never on my radar until I started reading reviews for the GTI. The overall opinion is the GTI has BMW 328i-like performance with better steering feel. Needless to say, would I rather have a loaded GTI (which has almost all the features of a luxury sport sedan) or a base 328 for $8k more? (or base ATS 2.0T?) Plus the GTI is roomy and has good trunk space (not including the benefits of a hatchback)

Now I'm suddenly salivating over the GTI. I hope GM has something in the pipeline.
    Last edited by Ammo; 05-08-2014 at 02:12 PM.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,175 Times in 3,255 Posts

I think the GTI is cool as both a car and conceptually as a performance package on a volume car. It's too bad Chevy doesn't seem to have the balls to offer a similar product. The Sonic plus the vast GM parts shelf would make it pretty easy to do.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I think the GTI is cool as both a car and conceptually as a performance package on a volume car. It's too bad Chevy doesn't seem to have the balls to offer a similar product
    Bingo. Or even Buick for that matter.

The appeal of the GTI is that it's the sporty car you can afford that you can also pick up a date in, drive family around, and take to work and be taken seriously.

It's not a difficult formula and I don't understand why more companies don't copy it. Instead we have boy racers like the Focus ST, WRX, EVO, Cobalt SS (not even in existence anymore) and Civic SI.

Verano Turbo is the closest thing GM has and that is more of a "V6 replacement" car, not a sport sedan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    Bingo. Or even Buick for that matter.

The appeal of the GTI is that it's the sporty car you can afford that you can also pick up a date in, drive family around, and take to work and be taken seriously.

It's not a difficult formula and I don't understand why more companies don't copy it. Instead we have boy racers like the Focus ST, WRX, EVO, Cobalt SS (not even in existence anymore) and Civic SI.

Verano Turbo is the closest thing GM has and that is more of a "V6 replacement" car, not a sport sedan.
    The GTI is not just a collection of performance parts hung on a volume hatch. It's also a very carefully crafted image which VW has protected for 35 years. It has almost cult status. If GM wants something like that, it needs to commit to the long haul. Something GM is not always great at.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Buick just needs to bring the OPC Astra over here. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult decision. Opel needs the volume and Buick needs another small sporty car to help keep changing perceptions about the brand. This car would be the only other car in the segment besides the GTI just like the diesel Cruze.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91fairladyZ View Post
    Buick just needs to bring the OPC Astra over here. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult decision. Opel needs the volume and Buick needs another small sporty car to help keep changing perceptions about the brand. This car would be the only other car in the segment besides the GTI just like the diesel Cruze.
    Sure, we'll take that. But I'm not quite sure that Buick is the right brand for this sort of thing. This has Chevrolet written all over it, if done right. I think VW is a much more effective marketer of the essence of the GTI than say Audi would be. Plus, Chevy needs a performance brand to create the next generation of 55-60 somethings, willing to spend $45,000 on a Camaro.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Astra GTC OPC, please.

That's 2 Door Buick Verano GS to you sir!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I’m actually a little surprised that you don’t see way more Golf’s on the road in the U.S. Driving down the highway you see a ton of boring, ugly, poor interior, no power, no fun 5 doors running around so I don’t think the hatch is all to blame.

The Golf has a little bit for just about everyone. You can get a 3 door or 5 door and either a manual or DSG. Even a diesel option.

They got rid of the crappy NA 2.5 in the base Golf so their basic lineup covers a ton.

Golf TDI

Golf 1.8 Turbo

Golf Gti 2.0 Turbo

Golf Gti with Power Pack
    The (PP) can be added as a stand alone option to the Gti.
    The PP gives you the R brakes, a real mechanical differential, and an additional 10h.p. Anyone who has driven it says it’s definitely more than 10 extra.

Golf R 2.0 Turbo with just under 300hp and AWD

Golf R400 is the ultimate hot hatch

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information