2007 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI

Thanks

2007 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI

Looking into a family hauler for the wife as the lease on SAAB is up in about 6 months. The wife wants to upgrade to bigger vehicle. Orginally our list consists of Tahoe, Acadia, Outlook, and may be Suzuki XL-7. Now I saw an ad for '07 MB R320 CDI for about $45K and 2.9% financing. I've read praises for the CDI and interested in diesel because the wife mostly drive around town to haul the kids to places.

Anyway, anyone familiar with this vehicle? I know it's not much to look at but heck, she's more concerned with the interior than the exterior.
    Current Rides
    2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT3 Gold Mist Metallic
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: 2007 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI

Just left MBUSA last September so I know a little. The only real defect trend with R-Class is it's looks but as you can see from the deals, it'll work towards your favor with pricing. I see you're in Florida, play a few big and little dealers against each other and you'll do great. CDI is also reliable now because Diesel Cat technology has progressed quite a bit since the old trap filter days. Otherwise, it's a big vehicle that rides as well as the Tahoe on the highway. There is only one cautionary note: if you ever intend to tow, look elsewhere. Although you can now get an aftermarket hitch for the R, this is not supported by MB because unlike the M and GL, there is no transmission cooler installed in R.

You may also want to consider leasing if you go the MB route. It's a gamble with any car but MB's can be expensive to fix when the warranty is over.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cawimmer430's Avatar
    Thanks

I have testdriven that exact same car. Although I am not crazy about the exterior, it is an excellent family vehicle. It feels solid, safe and is very comfortable and the 3.0 V6 CDI engine actually hauls this heavy monster around with ease. The performance was pretty impressive for such a heavy car. Here's my review which I copied over from www.germancarzone.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Went up to the Benz dealership today in the hopes of driving the new facelifted W211 E-Class. Sadly, all two models they had were booked so I had no choice but to drive the R-Class, an AWD R320 CDI 4Matic. I'm not crazy about the R-Class, but I was dying to try one. Hereís the review. :usa7uh:

I have to say it: This thing doesn't look too bad in real life. Us Europeans get the SWB version as standard and the car is still within reasonable proportions. That is to say it is still a big car, but in that borderline area. Parking though, will still be hard to find in bigger cities with such a beast. I used to hate the R-Class, and I still sort of do, but it looks better than in the pictures. The R-Class looks pretty dynamic in reality.

The interior is well constructed and presents a quality feel as well. Personally, I would have preferred lighter colors to this R-Classesí dark interior. The ergonomics are pretty good with everything within easy reach of the driver. My only problem was that you couldnít see the hood. Itís the same deal on the A and B-Classes. This means that you need to buy Parktronic if you donít want scratches upfront. Another important aspect is interior space. Wow! This thing wasnít short on that. Once you open the door and hop in, you feel like youíre in space. I didnít sit in the back and check the leg space etc., but the whole car looked very roomy. Furthermore, once you removed those extra seats in the trunk, it looked like you actually will have a respectable luggage space.

Preheating the engine took less than 2 seconds and the 3.0 V6 CDI engine rumbled to life with a quiet purr and then settled down into a soft whisper, like on the ML320 CDI. You couldnít hear it from the drivers seat. Vibrations were hard to detect as well. Not bad not bad. Even while cold, the R320 CDI 4Matic felt eager and responsive. I drove around for a few minutes to get the engine warmed up for some abusing.

Initial impressions were so-so. This is a European spec R-Class, which means it should be sportier than the watered-down American versions. Well, the steering was pretty light and didnít offer too much direct feedback. From a sports point of view, disappointing. I did however expect this. On the bright side, the steering may have been vague, but the front wheels reacted quickly to input. Furthermore, the suspension was quite stiff. I was expecting the 2,220 kg R320 CDI 4Matic to handle like a boat: surprisingly, it didnít. This isnít a sporty car, but for agile and fluid driving, the R-Class impressed me with its ease of handling and control. It still felt like a large car, but it did handle somewhat like a smaller car, almost like an E-Class. Body roll was surprisingly limited, which means that in curves, the R-Class didnít lean over as much as could be expected. Best of all, the R320 CDI 4Matic felt safe and solid on the roads. Oh, and the seats were some of the most comfortable seats Iíve ever experienced in a Mercedes-Benz Ė perfect for long distance driving. What they did lack was enough side support, but since your average R-Class owner wonít be taking it on the track, I donít think this matters (and there is always the pointless R63 AMG).

Many of you are probably thinking that 224-horsepower and 510 Nm (376 lb/ft) are ďcompletely underpoweredĒ for such a car. How wrong you are. The R320 CDI 4Matic is a powerful ride. 0-100 km/h takes 8.7 seconds according to Mercedes-Benz, which is pretty quick. Midrange power was perfectly adequate for quick overtaking maneuvers. Underpowered? Hell no. And best of all, the diesel R320 CDI kills the R350 and totally pointless R500 and R63 AMG in fuel economy. There was also a nice shove-back when you punched the pedal, thanks to the diesel torque reserves.

The 7Gtronic transmission was as usual excellent. I didnít feel or hear any shifts. The only way you could tell was by watching the RPM needle flutter up and then down. There were two buttons on the steering wheel where one could manually change gears, but I found them to be useless as the transmission was simply so good.

Overall? Not bad. I was pleasantly surprised by the R-Class. Itís clearly a family-oriented car for vacations and longer distances because of the driving qualities and the generous interior space. Comfort and safety are the top priorities, not sport. Despite this, I found the European R-Class to be just capable enough for fluid driving here in the countryside. 4Matic is a bonus too.

On the downside, it is expensive, the design is subjective, itís not that fuel-efficient despite the 3.0 V6 CDI engine and for Europe, still a relatively big car. If I was a daddy (I hope this never happens!), Iíd opt for an M-Class, GL-Class or an E-Class Estate (all with the Ď320 CDI engine).

Expect a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E220 CDI W211 (Facelift) testdrive soon!

Wimmer's R320 CDI 4Matic 0-62 mph Video: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...icVideo_01.flv

2006 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI 4Matic Photo Album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2104506568

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks for the input. At you have already mentioned, the ungainly look actually will work towards my favor at the time of purchase. As for leasing, since we will be using this for vacations and traveling, besides shuttling kids during the school year, so we will most likely do purchase, but perhaps a 15K/yr lease...
    Current Rides

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadPig
    Thanks for the input. At you have already mentioned, the ungainly look actually will work towards my favor at the time of purchase. As for leasing, since we will be using this for vacations and traveling, besides shuttling kids during the school year, so we will most likely do purchase, but perhaps a 15K/yr lease...
    If you decide to go with the R, PM me and I'll check to see if there are any friends & family plans running or are in the works for the near future. If so, I can probably set you up with a code number or at least give you some helpful purchase hints.

Thanks

njtex, you rock!
    Current Rides

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Be a returning customer and look for something in the General's garage.

Mercedes almost killed Chrysler (still may be the cause of death once everythings said and done)...not to make the auto industry into a soap opera, but dont jump in the sack with the bad guy..know what I mean?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 BusyBody's Avatar
    Thanks

I would go for the Acadia, much nicer vehicle. Don't settle for something because its a deal, 45K is ALOT of money, and you'll be reminded every time you bank account is debited.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Quote Originally Posted by BusyBody
    I would go for the Acadia, much nicer vehicle. Don't settle for something because its a deal, 45K is ALOT of money, and you'll be reminded every time you bank account is debited.
    Lol... the details of the R destroy the Acadia.

Get the R man.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 BusyBody's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening

Get the R man.
    You are kidding right. The R is 45K and ugly as sin. I wouldn't pay 45K for something that hurts my eyes everytime I look at it. The Acadia is great value for the money, and hands over fist in terms of appearance over the R.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Details, such as the interior. THe leather stitching, use of chrome accents, all the little details and little techno gizmos of Mercedes, that are very nice.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Thanks

Remember, the wife will look at the interior more than the exterior. As Quickenig pointed out, R has an awesome interior. Yes, it's $45K large so I want to make sure the wife is happy 'cause she's stuck with it for a long time! Also, it's CDI... GM doesn't offer a decent diesel-powered family hauler.
    Current Rides

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mini1's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd go for the Tahoe, Acadia or Outlook. If you buy a Mercedes, plan to have it out of service for multiple days out of the year. They are currectly the most repair prone and most unreliable car brand on the entire US market. The R is also new, thus even more apt to have serious long term problems with things like electronics. I would steer clear of the R. There are far better options in this catagory. Give Mercedes time to turn their problems around, now that DCX has split up, then look at them the next time you are looking to purchase a car.
    Current Ride:
    -2007 GMC Sierra SLE RCLB

On-Order:
    -2019 GMC Sierra SLE RCLB

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Details, such as the interior. THe leather stitching, use of chrome accents, all the little details and little techno gizmos of Mercedes, that are very nice.
    Yes, even aside from the real wood the R is ahead but the new GM's are starting to come close. Suprising considering the price differential. I'm not sure but I believe that the R interior/IP is still mostly Delphi and Johnson Controls so it's more of a matter of material specification. I also think MB is lossing a little design mojo while GM is gaining.

If you want to see some interior magic in this class, check out the new X5. I think BMW really received a lot of quality out of their vendors.

Elk

Thanks

Well yeah R needs a good looking interior otherwise youíd have nothing to look at while waiting for the tow truck to come.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information