Corvette Racing begins its 21st season of competition this weekend with the Rolex 24 At Daytona to start the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: By the Numbers
DETROIT (Jan. 23, 2019) – Corvette Racing begins its 21st season of competition this weekend with the Rolex 24 At Daytona to start the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. To mark the occasion, here are some facts and figures on the team’s history at both Daytona and as a whole.
• 0.034: As in seconds – the winning margin of victory in Corvette Racing’s 1-2 finish at the 2016 Rolex 24. It is the closest finish in race history.
• 1: As in one team, one manufacturer and one model of car going on 21 years: Corvette Racing and Chevrolet.
• 2: Number of the overall winning Corvette C5-R in the 2001 Rolex 24. Ron Fellows, Johnny O’Connell, Chris Kniefel and Franck Freon completed 656 laps for 2335.36 miles in the winning effort.
• 3: Rolex 24 wins in eight tries for Corvette Racing: 2001 overall, 2015 GTLM (Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen/Ryan Briscoe) and 2016 GTLM (Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner/Marcel Fässler).
• 3: Consecutive Driver and Team championship in GT Le Mans (GTLM) for Corvette Racing.
• 8: As in Chevrolet’s small-block V8. More than 100 million units have been sold worldwide and is the most successful engine in American motorsports.
• 12: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001.
• 16: Number of GTLM wins for Corvette Racing since the start of 2014. That is the most of any manufacturer and team in the category.
• 20: Drivers who have driven for Corvette Racing at the Rolex 24 – Justin Bell, Ryan Briscoe, Kelly Collins, Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Marcel Fässler, Ron Fellows, Franck Freon, Antonio Garcia, Oliver Gavin, John Heinricy, Chris Kniefel, Robin Liddell, Jan Magnussen, Tommy Milner, Simon Pagenaud, John Paul Jr., Andy Pilgrim, Mike Rockenfeller, and Scott Sharp.
• 21: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres and Utah.
• 50: Seasons of IMSA starting in 2019. Corvette Racing has been part of IMSA since 1999.
• 107: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 99 in North America and eight at Le Mans.
• 35,471.84: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in the Rolex 24. For reference, the distance around the Earth at the equator is 24,901 miles. The team has completed 10,291 racing laps at Daytona.
• 281,650.26: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing entering its third decade. For reference, the Apollo 13 spacecraft holds the record for farthest distance traveled from Earth – 248,655 miles.