Rumor: GM To Put Chevy Volt Program On Hold, Cut Engineering Staff Tomorrow

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: GM To Put Chevy Volt Program On Hold, Cut Engineering Staff Tomorrow

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

From Jalopnik:

Rumors of tomorrow's "important changes" at GM have approached a fevered pace, but the latest one we've heard is coming directly from someone who's directly related to someone who could be directly affected if the rumor is true. So, it must be true, right? Anyway, we've just been told by the family of a Chevy Volt engineering team member that not only is the untouchable Volt program on hold, GM's even letting some of the engineering team, aka "the chosen people," go. Hit the jump for the full rumor.

"My uncle works on the Volt as an engineer. He's getting laid off Friday because apparantly the project (aka VOLT) is on hold indefinitely."

More at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Rumor: GM To Put Chevy Volt Program On Hold, Cut Engineering Staff Tomorrow

I find this highly unlikely. This is the halo car for all of GM, with the Cruze being the car that will be sold to those unwilling to foot the bill for the Volt.

Of course, folks here may know more but I can't see GM putting the Volt on indefinite hold. Might as well fold up the tent and go home if they do that.

And isn't that $25B fuel economy basket of cash actually for this type of program?

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,339 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Depends...how many engineers are working on the Volt? For all we know, this guy may have just been there to make sure the headlights worked. Mission accomplished, here's your pink slip.

And it's not exactly the most credible source...
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

If they put the Volt on hold then I have lost all faith in GM.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Incorrect according to my sources. There is a whole E-Flex division within R&D, just because this guy worked on the Volt and is getting laid off does not mean that the program is shelved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Incorrect according to my sources. There is a whole E-Flex division within R&D, just because this guy worked on the Volt and is getting laid off does not mean that the program is shelved.
    I simply can't believe GM would purposely blow its own nads off. Sure, they've done a superb job of doing it in the past, but it's been unintentional consequences of having the firm run by what seems to be a bunch of inebriated monkeys.

Since GM has repeatedly stated that GM's future rests on E-Flex and the Volt, killing/delaying it would imply that GM is toast.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Maybe with the global economy looking shaky for the next few years, we can expect gas prices to stabilize lower than previously though, making the Volt a lot riskier proposition than just a few months ago. If this is the case, as tough as it would be take, it would make a lot more sense to focus on lower cost fuel efficient cars like the Cruze where sales propects are a much better bet. GM would take a lot of flak for it, but there has to be some point were GM would have to make that call.

Now if the next administration really wants to see electric cars sooner rather than later... this may put further pressure on them to fund some of the development costs.
    Last edited by tholland; 11-06-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 SwampFoxZ71's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally, I 100% believe this. The Volt is too expensive for the economy the way it is. Nobody will be able to afford one. And gas is dropping, along w/ a world recession, the price may remain low for the next year or two ($2.50 or so, who knows, it may just shoot back up too). Point being, GM is expecting to lose money on the first few years of the Volt. They no longer have the time, nor the money to spend on a money losing vehicle (at least initially).

Hell, they'd be better off selling the technology to Toyota or Honda, w/ a stipulation like CAMI to build their own version later on, along w/ a hefty royalty.

At this point, they need the Cruze here yesterday, not a $40k electric car only the rich will afford. And, if the economy tanks the release of the Volt, making it DOA on release, the whole program and potentially Halo vehicle is sunk and the market is lost to GM forever when 6 years later Honda makes their own and sells for less, is received during better economic times and the Volt is already outdated, stale and old.

My guess this is just the tip of the iceberg and I believe it. Then again, they had 7000 orders for $38k Camaros. Difference is, they aren't losing money ont the 7000 Camaros. They already know the first few years of the Volt will all be money losing years for it.

JMO
    2010 Chevy Cobalt LT
    2010 Subaru Impreza

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    God I hope you are right... Otherwise it is
    Bullet -> Brain
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    God I hope you are right... Otherwise it is
    Bullet -> Brain
    He's right.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    Personally, I 100% believe this. The Volt is too expensive for the economy the way it is. Nobody will be able to afford one. And gas is dropping, along w/ a world recession, the price may remain low for the next year or two ($2.50 or so, who knows, it may just shoot back up too). Point being, GM is expecting to lose money on the first few years of the Volt. They no longer have the time, nor the money to spend on a money losing vehicle (at least initially).

Hell, they'd be better off selling the technology to Toyota or Honda, w/ a stipulation like CAMI to build their own version later on, along w/ a hefty royalty.

At this point, they need the Cruze here yesterday, not a $40k electric car only the rich will afford. And, if the economy tanks the release of the Volt, making it DOA on release, the whole program and potentially Halo vehicle is sunk and the market is lost to GM forever when 6 years later Honda makes their own and sells for less, is received during better economic times and the Volt is already outdated, stale and old.

My guess this is just the tip of the iceberg and I believe it. Then again, they had 7000 orders for $38k Camaros. Difference is, they aren't losing money ont the 7000 Camaros. They already know the first few years of the Volt will all be money losing years for it.

JMO
    I agree.

The Volt is an expensive halo car that won't sell well. The green/tech image boost would have been nice, but not at any price... and GM can't really afford it right now.

GM could save face by saying something like "We're putting it on hold, but all the work isn't wasted, we're ready to release it any time the economy is back in shape. It's just not the right vehicle at this time - too expensive. We'd rather sell you a cheaper and less techy 40 mpg Cruze."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post

JMO
    Then sell the first allotment of Volts as Cadillacs, justifying the price and the fact only the rich can afford it.

Personally, I think money is no issue to those looking at the Volt. Folks in California with money and wanting to be green won't care if gas is 5 cents. They want it to make the ultimate statement.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Personally, I think money is no issue to those looking at the Volt. Folks in California with money and wanting to be green won't care if gas is 5 cents. They want it to make the ultimate statement.
    How many of them are there... and out of these, how many are willing to overcome their anti-American bias? (You're in California, rich, and want to be green/impress the neighbors = a Chevy badge is likely to be a turnoff.)

That's just not a number large enough to be worth it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    How many of them are there... and out of these, how many are willing to overcome their anti-American bias? (You're in California, rich, and want to be green/impress the neighbors = a Chevy badge is likely to be a turnoff.)

The volt will be sold around these world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

It's all about image, to be true. And it's more the Volt badge than anything else that people focus on. In fact, I'd rather see GM badge it just as a Volt, much like they badge the Corvette just as a Corvette. I don't see any bowties on the most recent Corvettes. As my local Chev dealer recently told me, Corvettes are, for all intents and purposes, a brand of their own. They can always do the same with the Volt.

As to how many people are there? Who knows. The greens in California are a huge lot. And a lot of those folks could afford very expensive cars and instead are driving around in Toyota Priuses solely based on the green cred of the Prius. I also think these folks are fickle and are looking for an accessory like the Volt.

Furthermore, in tough economic times it's quite common for the rich to drive more plebeian brands. Ironically, you can drive a Chevrolet Volt and look like you care about the situation your compatriots are in while also laying claim that you're helping America on a number of fronts, including reducing the need for oil and polluting less.

Remember, fanatic love of a doctrine doesn't equate into logical purchases to match your philosophy.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information