Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

More grain for the Rumor Mill. Anonymous "Inside News" tip came in today from the source who told us about Caddys on Zeta first. Some of it we've heard rumored before, some not, make of it what you will:

The next Cobalt and Lacetti replacements will be on Delta II.

The next Cobalt will have Wagon and Hatchback models just like the current Lacetti. Also it will have a Coupe and Sedan.

This will give Chevrolet a "Global" line up car. (The European Chevrolet Lacetti is currently built by GM Daewoo off of their own design)

It will also be sold as the Daewoo Lacetti in Korea.

Most worldwide Cobalt/Lacetti production will come from China (where the Buick Excelle rebadged Lacetti is also produced by Shanghai GM).

In North America most Cobalt's will be made at the Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plant with overflow coming from China,this will allow GM to eventually close the Lordstown assbembly plant.
    Image of the Daewoo Lacetti on its current platform with Pininfarina styling:

Last edited by Ming; 02-28-2007 at 02:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Re: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

In North America most Cobalt's will be made at the Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plant with overflow coming from China,this will allow GM to eventually close the Lordstown assbembly plant.
    Oh good, fire more Americans.
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

OUTSTANDING NEWS. I'm glad that GM is leveraging things to their advantage.

Though I think they should hve another product at Lordstown to replace the Cobalt -- with so many Zeta products, I almost wonder if they couldn't use another Zeta plant?

But this makes sense. GM has hinted that the Astra will move to Mexico and now the Cobalt will follow. Consolidating production is smart business and will create better efficiencies.

In addition to this, the return of a wagon and hatchback to the lineup will probably mean that the Cobalt brand (or whatever they decide to call the successor) will have an expanded lineup that we haven't seen in awhile since earlier version of the Cavalier went out to pasture. Having so many options might mean that the Cobatl (or successor moniker) might have a shot at making more of an impact in the market and tally up higher year end sales --- which looks great on paper.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 02-28-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Chevy

Excellent.............let the good old boys in the red states re-tool and work in Sonics and Pep Boys.............George Bush will give them the chance to manage their own 401 K's in those positions. As Ross Perot once said we are going to hear a giant sucking sound.........it's here baby!

Thanks

Re: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Ch

Quote Originally Posted by johnny smallblock
    I saw this coming. GM's legacy+labor costs just make it too hard to produce a profitable small car here in the U.S. Or when they do they end up neglecting investing in things like (cough, cough) mid-cycle enhancements. Or like Ford they let something like the Focus go long past its expiration date without significant changes/redesign.

Do Toyota or Honda produce any of their small cars here? Hard to qualify small cars these days as every nameplate seems to grow each generation. The equivalent of the Civic and Corolla of yesteryear are the Fit and Yaris... I don't think any Scions are produced here, and look at the success that brand is seeing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Re: Rumor: Cobalt & Lacetti replacement on Delta II, Converging as "World Car" for Ch

this will allow GM to eventually close the Lordstown assbembly plant
    If GM keep this up, I will find it harder to be a GM fan, and might as well switch to Toyota

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    If GM keep this up, I will find it harder to be a GM fan, and might as well switch to Toyota
    So you can buy a Japan engineered and built Scion or Corolla? I don't get that logic. These are small cars, not Impalas or Suburbans. Last I checked Japan did not make it the norm to produce and/or engineer small cars here.

If your point is that the only thing holding you back from buying a Toyota was that GM built the Cobalt here, even though the alternative was an imported from and engineered in Japan Toyota car, then perhaps it makes sense. I prefer to support GM's worldwide efforts, just as you are borderline ready to support Toyota's worldwide efforts, apparently.
    Last edited by Ming; 02-28-2007 at 03:06 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 espo19047's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care where the small cars are built. It is hard to be enthusiastic about guys losing jobs. Everybody is for outsourcing until it is their job on the line.
    Visit the Biggest Showroom on Planet Earth:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Visit me: Hidden Content

See a one minute tour of Reedman-Toll:
    Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    I saw this coming. GM's legacy+labor costs just make it too hard to produce a profitable small car here in the U.S. Or when they do they end up neglecting investing in things like (cough, cough) mid-cycle enhancements. Or like Ford they let something like the Focus go long past its expiration date without significant changes/redesign.

Do Toyota or Honda produce any of their small cars here? Hard to qualify small cars these days as every nameplate seems to grow each generation. The equivalent of the Civic and Corolla of yesteryear are the Fit and Yaris... I don't think any Scions are produced here, and look at the success that brand is seeing.
    All good points Ming, and I agree. It's ashame, but the truth is that its very hard to make a profit on a small car made in the US. The margins are so incredibly small. But scrimping so much that you "cheat" the product like the Cobalt or Ion is part of this. You end up cutting so much to make a buck on it (or at least a smaller loss) that you drive folks away to other brands. I think that Cobalt is a good product though and through, but is it good enough to go toe to toe with the others in the field? Probably not.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 02-28-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

It would make a nice Dodge Caliber replacement, or even a reintroduction of the Dodge Neon.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

i dont care if toyota has 100 plants i still wont by them...but on this issue...i dont know what to say...i think the goverment should do more on health care to help the Auto industry stay in america instend of overseas companys taking over america....i guess i just need to give up the fight for american job...well when sales go down because americans are out of work they will be sorry

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

So is it safe to say we won't be expecting a new Cobalt till the 2011 model year?

That is very lonng for the current model which is already extremly uncompetitive in its segment.

Also what about the Pontiac G5? Is that just oging to be killed or will they actually put out a true pontiac compact?

Anyways It is good to here they are making global cars as it will lead to GM being much more profitable, just wish thy'd get here sooner.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 JVal14's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny smallblock
    This is the natural order. UAW wants too much for work that is simple enough for many people to do. Thusly, the work goes to the cheaper labor. I don't like Americans to lose job, but the UAW has made themselves susceptible. I'd like the U.S. government to offer incentives to keep work within borders; but with a truly global enterprise it's hard to tell a company that they should take a billion dollar bath purely out of patriotism, especially when their US workers continue to fight against them and the governement has told them plainly that they're on their own.

BTW, if they're making a Cobalt hatch/wagon and an Astra hatch/wagon, we'll probably see a Pontiac version if the brand has a compact car. Thus: no more partnering with Toyota for the Vibe.
    Last edited by JVal14; 02-28-2007 at 03:22 PM.
    Carpe diem, baby!
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cfch3399's Avatar
    Thanks

The day is coming closer and closer when the only thing American about GM will be the nationalities of some execs and headquarter locations with all the money going to China, Mexico, Canada, Germany, and Australie. With this, Ford's near death and Chrysler's mess, it's almost official, the US car industry is dead. All that will be left, at best, is Cadillac.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

I still don't see what is so uncompetitive about the Cobalt. I think it's par for the course. What makes it worse than a Scion XA or Kia Rio 5 or Honda Civic? None of these cars are that great, as you get what you pay for. I would take a Cobalt over any small car in the sub $20k range. I have driven or have been a passenger in most of these cars and I don't see what makes one much better than the other. I think it's just a matter of taste in the styling, and in that regard, the Cobalt is one of the cleaner designs.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information