GM Inside News Forum banner

NEW! Chevrolet Cobalt SS-TURBOcharged info...

16K views 63 replies 36 participants last post by  tamatt27 
#1 ·
So I heard from another anonymous source earlier today about the turbo Cobalt. I have friends in car clubs around metro detroit that have seen '5' Cobalts running turbo ecotec setups LNF with GM employee stickers on their front windshields dressed in SS-S/C body...

well I just got wind of a person that saw the Cobalt factory earlier this summer and saw a Delta platform car-body less- with the Solstice GXP/Sky RL Ecotec turbo (but adapted for fwd, as opposed to their rwd). I'm confirming from my source the coupe style body so as to not be confused with the HHR SS right now...

The """"NEW"""" information is that this car had 'huge BREMBO brakes' end quote on all wheels! Taking after the corvette here? I think so.

Also, my guys from these car clubs also said to expect a Cobalt SS Turbo concept to debut at LA or Chicago. Just a heads up...

again this is a rumor, and should be placed in the rumor mill, and taken with a grain of salt as we were Supposed to get a 08 Cobalt MCE but that never happened and rumors were RAMPANT about that.

so yes, I'm waiting for the turbo Cobalt! :D

CobaltSScrazy

See less See more
#8 ·
Hopefully they'll offer it with an automatic, as with the HHR SS......if only in a reduced power application.

Anyhow, this seems exciting....serious attention to the interior would go a long way towards snagging a few customers here and there ;)

#10 ·
Ultimate1 said:
So there will be concepts in LA? that is unacceptable there should be production vehicles showcasing in LA and Detroit, and the car available for the 2008 model year.
the car was SUPPOSED to have an MCE for 2008 which never happened. i'm guessing MAYBE a 2008.5 or earliy 09 car for the cobalt. next summer like august IMO. but who honestly knows? I totally agree with you but I wouldn't be surprised if GM is like, HHR SS is 'good enough' for now, so we'll wait till 2010 for Delta 2 and put out a Cobalt Turbo in 2011 actual year:rolleyes:

CobaltSScrazy

Again, i hope i'm wrong. :(

#15 ·
If this rumor is true, then they HAVE to give the Cobalt an MCE. I mean come on. Even nice cars like the civic are barely worthy of an engine as impressive as the 2.0 t/c.

Wasn't GM trying to hold it over the UAW's head they they will end production of the Cobalt / G5? Is that maybe why they are being so quiet about the idea of a T/C Cobalt. Or maybe even a refresh?

#16 ·
Beau Tie said:
Well, the interior is better (at least the dash) than the Civic's interior, and that is from Asia.
Yeah...not in the slightest, I don't think. The dual-tiered speedometer/tachometer may not be some people's cup of tea, but nothing in the Cobalt's interior is better than the Civics, unless you count cloth quality, and the only reason the Civic's cloth quality sucks is becasue it wears so easily.

Looks are subjective, and a car can't be "better" based on looks, because that's different for every person.

The Cobalt is a fantastic little car, but its due for a decent sized refresh, especially on the interior.

#17 ·
EldoFan said:
Hopefully they'll offer it with an automatic, as with the HHR SS......if only in a reduced power application.

Anyhow, this seems exciting....serious attention to the interior would go a long way towards snagging a few customers here and there ;)
It'd have me in a heartbeat. Aside from the wheel gap on the outside, I love the Cobalt, but the interior needs a through upgrade. The Civic may not be the "best", but it had more thought put into it than the Cobalt. With a new model, I have no doubt Chevy will go in the right direction with it.

#19 ·
A 260hp Cobalt would be nice. It will prolby come out on the next-gen Cobalt!

#20 ·
Xenon said:
Isnt Delta 2 Cobalt supposed to be here in 2 years or so?
There will be a new Cobalt in MY 2010

Timing for the next-gen Cobalt has advanced 1 year to Q3 2009 (2010); though production is now slated for August, -one month later than previously forecasted.

The Cobalt will receive significant exterior and interior styling revisions, and the powertrain and platform will be updated for regulatory requirements and improved performance.

For this model change, GM will institute a significant change in the Cobalt coupe/sedan philosophy, with the coupe set to become more differentiated from the sedan in the way that Honda’s Civic coupe and sedan are differentiated.

Accordingly, the next-gen Cobalt coupe is planned as a much sportier, more dynamic “High Styled” model aimed more squarely at the Scion tC and Honda Civic Coupe. Expect unique sheet metal in many areas, unique front and rear styling, and a much sportier theme overall.

The next-gen Cobalt will ride on an updated version of GM's Global Compact Vehicle Architecture (formerly Delta 2), with engineering changes planned to reduce cost, improve manufacturability, and enhance dynamics.

Expect continued availability of 18-inch alloy wheels, as well as 16-inch steels and alloys as standard/optional.

Inside, expect substantial differentiation from the sedan, but to a lesser degree. Unique interior parts are likely to include a revised instrument panel, center console, seats, and door trim. And with the Cobalt remaining on GM's Global Compact Vehicle Architecture, the size/package is not expected to change dramatically.

Power for the next-gen Cobalt will remain from GM's global L850 (Ecotec) I4 engines, available with 5-speed manual or new 6-Speed automatic transmission.

#21 ·
Minnesota Nice said:
Yeah...not in the slightest, I don't think. The dual-tiered speedometer/tachometer may not be some people's cup of tea, but nothing in the Cobalt's interior is better than the Civics, unless you count cloth quality, and the only reason the Civic's cloth quality sucks is becasue it wears so easily.

Looks are subjective, and a car can't be "better" based on looks, because that's different for every person.

The Cobalt is a fantastic little car, but its due for a decent sized refresh, especially on the interior.
Actually, yes in the slightest. I wasn't even talking about the dual tier. In fact, I praised it's extra driver information. I was talking about the quality of pastic used on the entire dash, which the Civic has a much cheaper feel to it (not that the Cobalt is great, but it is better).

So, looks has nothing to do with my comment. The Civic is only a year newer, but it indeeds needs an interior make over as well as the Cobalt.

#24 · (Edited)
Beau Tie said:
Actually, yes in the slightest. I wasn't even talking about the dual tier. In fact, I praised it's extra driver information. I was talking about the quality of pastic used on the entire dash, which the Civic has a much cheaper feel to it (not that the Cobalt is great, but it is better).

So, looks has nothing to do with my comment. The Civic is only a year newer, but it indeeds needs an interior make over as well as the Cobalt.
The interior of the Civic does NOT need a make over.

The materials need to change, because yes, the plastic sucks in the new Civic. It feels a hell of a lot nicer than the stuff in the Cobalt, but its sensitive, and the cloth wears very easily. The plastic on both cars could use some reenforcing. Especially on the Civic. I am VERY disappointed with it.

But to say that this:

is in more need of an update than this:

it's just wrong. The Cobalt is not competative on the inside, at all. It looks dated and it looks like a cheap economy car. Is it "bad"? Not at all, but there are betters out there. A completely redesigned interior on the Cobalt would probably be enough for me to ditch the Civic for the Cobalt.

The Civic looks futuristic and definately suffers from "cheap" quality plastic in terms of life expectancy, but I disagree on the semantics of the word "make over".

The old Malibu vs. the new Malibu is an make over. The 2005 Civic to the 2006 Civic is a make over.

Changing interior quality isn't really the basis for a full interior upgrade. Changing the overall interior layout is a make over.

I don't dislike either vehicles, I just preferred the Civic. The door area pisses me off though. Styrofoam feeling plastic at the top and then hard plastic at the base. It doesn't even look the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.