Ford Bronco will have removable roof and doors and be on sale in 2020

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Bronco will have removable roof and doors and be on sale in 2020

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Ford Bronco will have removable roof and doors and be on sale in 2020

The Ford Bronco Will Have a Removable Roof and Doors and Will Go on Sale in Late 2020
    Ford gave new details about the retro SUV to dealers at a recent event.
    By DANIEL GOLSON
    MAR 25, 2019
    Car & Driver

We have been eagerly awaiting the Ford Bronco's return since it was first officially announced back at the 2017 Detroit auto show, and now it appears we'll have to wait a little while longer. According to Automotive News, which gleaned info from dealers who attended a Ford event last month where future products were shown, the Bronco will hit dealer lots in late 2020. Thankfully, to tide us over, the dealers leaked some details about the Bronco that were previously either only speculation or not known at all.

The biggest news to Bronco fanatics will surely be that the new SUV will be available in both two- and four-door form. We were expecting a two-door variant based on Ford's first teaser photo of the Bronco (shown above), but the inclusion of a four-door version is news to us—and it makes a lot of sense, given that the four-door Jeep Wrangler, the Bronco's biggest competitor, makes up a huge majority of total Wrangler sales. We recently got our first look at a Bronco test mule, which was based on a current Ranger and had a short wheelbase indicating that it was for a two-door model. We wouldn't be surprised if both Broncos' dimensions are extremely close to those of their Wrangler counterparts.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 03-26-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Reformatted.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (03-25-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 556 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Re: Ford Bronco will have removable roof and doors and be on sale in 2020

Wow I cannot wait to see this thing. This is going to be a legit competitor and some real competition for the fantastic JL Wrangler.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-25-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for Ford, to bad we got the Blazer.... H4, would have been nice right now.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-26-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019),joey (03-26-2019),Neanderthal (03-26-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-25-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019),sledgehammer777 (03-26-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

This is monumental. Hello GM where is yours? Oh yeah, we got an expensive panzy-mobile Blazer instead of what it should have been...

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (03-26-2019),Coloradokid (03-26-2019),eklauss (03-26-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019),fastrehotrods (03-26-2019),Mr.Buttons (03-26-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-25-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019),SP1966 (03-25-2019)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    What are you complaining about? Don't you know that according to Mary, GM is a (Chinese) Technology Company? They don't want to be tied down with car customers.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (03-26-2019),Coloradokid (03-26-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019),InCogKneeToe (03-26-2019),joey (03-26-2019),Mr.Buttons (03-26-2019),Neanderthal (03-26-2019),orville (03-30-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-25-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

When I first heard about the removable doors I was a little surprised as this has never really been a thing with the Bronco. Some may say that the exterior hinges on the first gen facilitate easy door removal and replacement, but I would argue that depends a lot upon your idea of easy. And the first gen Bronco Sport, which was arguably the closest to this concept, didn’t really have doors at all so...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    This is monumental. Hello GM where is yours? Oh yeah, we got an expensive panzy-mobile Blazer instead of what it should have been...
    I thought the amazing FJ Cruiser was monumental. I even bought one when they came out. A cool, retro, 2 door, 4 wheeler that came with Toyota quality- I signed right up. Sales were brisk the first few years and then fell like a lead balloon until Toyota quietly dropped it. Hopefully the Bronco will not suffer the same fate.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 chevydlrmn's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Silverado Z71 6.2

Although I wish GM had the guts to play in niche markets, and I don't like to defend the manufacturer, I understand why they aren't in this segment. How many units can be sold to justify the cost of development? Because they have mismanaged their factories, there isn't even a factory to build a competitor. The Colorado factory builds vans too and can't keep up with demand. Maybe a next gen midsize truck and a "Trailblazer" could occupy Lordstown or Hamtramck. I won't hold my breath.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chevydlrmn For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (03-26-2019),eklauss (03-26-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevydlrmn View Post
    Although I wish GM had the guts to play in niche markets, and I don't like to defend the manufacturer, I understand why they aren't in this segment. How many units can be sold to justify the cost of development?
    Agree. To be fair, GM has attempted many unique niche vehicles in the past 20-40 yrs. SSR, Aztec, Hummer, Allanté, Reatta, EV1, Avalanche, Astro/Safari, Fiero, CTS (gen2 wagon and coupe), Volt, XLR.

Some were successful, some were flops. In the past 10 years, GM has not been in a position to spend extravagantly on engineering niche vehicles where the investment likely would not pay off. They are wise to invest in electric and, honestly, I’m surprised that ZR2 is a reality because it’s a legit niche player AND well engineered. I’m still shocked that it was approved by the accountants.

My gm daydream would include a beautiful CT5 coupe and wagon and for GM to announce that the majority of gm dealers will have 24/7 charging available to gm evs right across N.A to compete with Tesla’s supercharger network and to support their future evs. With gm dealerships in practically every town, Gm is probably in the best possible position to offer a huge network of charge stations to enable cross country road trips and elimination the need for a ICE vehicle if a family chooses.

This is the kind of forward-thinking investment I want to see from gm...and as fantastic as the bronco will likely be, I don’t give a f about gm competing with it at this time.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    Agree. To be fair, GM has attempted many unique niche vehicles in the past 20-40 yrs. SSR, Aztec, Hummer, Allanté, Reatta, EV1, Avalanche, Astro/Safari, Fiero, CTS (gen2 wagon and coupe), Volt, XLR.

Some were successful, some were flops. In the past 10 years, GM has not been in a position to spend extravagantly on engineering niche vehicles where the investment likely would not pay off. They are wise to invest in electric and, honestly, I’m surprised that ZR2 is a reality because it’s a legit niche player AND well engineered. I’m still shocked that it was approved by the accountants.

My gm daydream would include a beautiful CT5 coupe and wagon and for GM to announce that the majority of gm dealers will have 24/7 charging available to gm evs right across N.A to compete with Tesla’s supercharger network and to support their future evs. With gm dealerships in practically every town, Gm is probably in the best possible position to offer a huge network of charge stations to enable cross country road trips and elimination the need for a ICE vehicle if a family chooses.

This is the kind of forward-thinking investment I want to see from gm...and as fantastic as the bronco will likely be, I don’t give a f about gm competing with it at this time.
    Don't want a Bronco competitor? With 2 and 4 doors I see Ford selling at least 150K a year in this country.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coloradokid For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (03-26-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I thought the amazing FJ Cruiser was monumental. I even bought one when they came out. A cool, retro, 2 door, 4 wheeler that came with Toyota quality- I signed right up. Sales were brisk the first few years and then fell like a lead balloon until Toyota quietly dropped it. Hopefully the Bronco will not suffer the same fate.
    The FJ was very pricey. American off-roader's buy American 4x4's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradokid View Post
    Don't want a Bronco competitor? With 2 and 4 doors I see Ford selling at least 150K a year in this country.
    GM didn't want to keep the Cruze alive @ 142K units for 2018, what makes you think they would put together a few H4's.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

377Z (03-26-2019),orville (03-30-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    Resurrecting Hummer wouldn't be too difficult. The old Hummers were built off existing platforms. The Colorado ZR2 is definitely in that direction. Just "chunky" up the body, "chunky" up the wheels/suspension, instant Jeep competitor. Maybe buy some naming rights off the Duluth Trading Company. Just like GM did with Hummer.

These sort of vehicles appeal to enthusiasts .... if GM still cares about customers being enthusiastic. Remember "customer enthusiasm"? Yeah .... long time ago.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 03-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-26-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,169 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

This sounds like it will be a pretty cool little truck!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,440 Times in 4,027 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    What are you complaining about? Don't you know that according to Mary, GM is a (Chinese) Technology Company? They don't want to be tied down with car customers.
    I wonder how Mary's Babbel Chinese lessons are coming along? I can hardly wait for her to start one of her little talks with "WOO HOO!! Now I speak Spanish! I mean, Chinese! Woo Hoo!"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    FJs still have amazing resale value. Someone did something right.

Quote Originally Posted by chevydlrmn View Post
    Although I wish GM had the guts to play in niche markets, and I don't like to defend the manufacturer, I understand why they aren't in this segment. How many units can be sold to justify the cost of development? Because they have mismanaged their factories, there isn't even a factory to build a competitor. The Colorado factory builds vans too and can't keep up with demand. Maybe a next gen midsize truck and a "Trailblazer" could occupy Lordstown or Hamtramck. I won't hold my breath.
    Joint agreement with Fords? (In Days Of Olde, many Dearbornites called FoMo "Fords," or "Ford's," I couldn't see the little punctuation marks in bubbles over their heads.)
    You know, like their 10-speed auto.

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    Agree. To be fair, GM has attempted many unique niche vehicles in the past 20-40 yrs. SSR, Aztec, Hummer, Allanté, Reatta, EV1, Avalanche, Astro/Safari, Fiero, CTS (gen2 wagon and coupe), Volt, ELR.

I can only comment on the bolded ones. SSRI was something that gave me those little question marks in bubbles above my head from the git-go. IIRC it was yooj overpriced, not so quick, and the wrong thing at the wrong time.

EV1 had two minor flaws: It was missing two back chairs, and it was missing a gas generator motor to charge the batteries.

Volt from what I've heard and read--several here have had them--was a yooj success as a vehicle, very satisfactory and very reliable, but as so often occurs--or does not occur--follow-up and updating was absent without leave. It needed to be bigger on the inside, upgraded power-wise, and given a small style refresh.

ELR I presume you refer to? Two items: Yooj overpriced (should have started at $49,000 max) and an incredibly clever and witty ad campaign (YES! from GM!) that ran for two months and then was dropped like a girlfriend with herpes. Or rabies.

These missteps make me wonder if there are not enemy moles on high at GM, sabotaging efforts that had much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    GM didn't want to keep the Cruze alive @ 142K units for 2018, what makes you think they would put together a few H4's.
    H4 is a foot in the door in a segment they don't play in. Margin on a ute is mo bettah than margin on a Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Wow I cannot wait to see this thing. This is going to be a legit competitor and some real competition for the fantastic JL Wrangler.
    I saw a prototype from 2012 I believe, on Stuart Blimey's show this morning. "JEEP!" was my first thought. Jeeps have round headlights! I remember that was a rallying cry amongst the Jeepster True Believers after some blind moron at Jeep/Fiat/ChryCo decided to "modernize" in a market they apparently didn't fully understand.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information