Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

  1. #1
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,998
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

    Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    What Went Wrong: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum
    When it was new alongside its Chrysler 300 cousin, the Magnum created something of a stir. I have heard before that there was a bizzare idea within Daimler-Chrysler to keep Chrysler cars available as sedans whereas Dodges would have liftgates. The Magnum being offered before the Charger and the existence of the Caliber (as only a hatch) seems to give light credibility to that claim. Obviously that structure for both brands was quickly scrapped.

    On its own, though, the Magnum performed better than I might have thought. At its peak year it sold over 50,000 units (so says Wikipedia). But even after a healthy refresh for 2008 (new front end, updated Charger interior and tech, etc), the Magnum was quietly put down. In the section surrounding its demise on Wikipedia, it even appears as though the Magnum's death was not done with much fervor or determination, with Ralph Gilles even stating its death could be attributed to an executive who had since retired.

    What do you think? Sales were on a steady decline, so did the Charger eat into a lot of the sales? Does the existence of the Charger keep the Magnum from ever being particularly successful? What could/should have been done to keep it successful and alive rather than face an early death? Should Dodge bring it back, and if so, how should that be done?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    11,071
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked 421 Times in 226 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I don't think it failed. In fact, I think quite the opposite. If you look at the car as being what it was, a de facto extension of the Charger/300 line, then one could suggest that the car was in fact a success.

  4. #3
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,376
    Thanks
    8,561
    Thanked 6,951 Times in 4,280 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I don't know about sales, during their production run I saw a lot of them on the road.
    Chrysler was definitely cajones-out for even putting this puppy in the showrooms.

    I wonder if an El Camino/La Strada version would've sold?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,727
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 642 Times in 421 Posts

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    The only Problem with the Mag was had so many blind spots. the SRT version is the most intiminating SRT of that day.

  7. #5
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in the Buff
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    1,769
    Thanked 965 Times in 495 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I actually preferred the Chrysler 300C Touring over the Magnum. Too bad it was never sold in the States.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

    "Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    Because it was a Dodge first of all and second because it was a station wagon...

  9. #7
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,140
    Thanks
    5,705
    Thanked 8,169 Times in 4,070 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I think it's one of those vehicles we all think is cool (V8 wagon with gangsta looks), but in the end too fuel inefficient to be practical. Too gangsta for a working father to show up at work with (I'd be embarassed to show up at work in it), not right or too expensive for the younger guys.

    But I think the biggest problem was that it is a family car with extremely masculine styling - way to agressive looking for most women. A minivan is more practical.....
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 02-02-2013 at 08:21 PM.

  10. #8
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    11,928
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,324 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    A better question is why anything that does not sell squllions has to be called a "fail" or a "failure"
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  11. #9
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    Problem: There wasn't a Chrysler variant despite demand for one
    The interior was black on black, something anything to lighten things up would have helped.
    Cerebus only wanted Chrysler to sell off parts it was never interested in making cars
    Solution: Make it part of Chrysler this time with a SRT brand variant, skip Dodge this time around. Maybe a Dodge as a police package.

  12. #10
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,843
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 538 Times in 258 Posts

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    the magnum was not a fail, sales were good for what it was, they made a ton of money off of it, old people liked it, young folks, and women....my old Director had one when they first came out, and I had a old bitty neighbor that had one too. The Magnum really could claim to be the beginning of the RWD resurrection. I love it, and DODGE was dumb to kill it....it cost nothing to build....
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

    ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

  13. #11
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,998
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I think that I'd agree with a lot of the ideas presented here. The Magnum unfortunately existed towards the tipping point of Chrysler's troubles and so most of what wasn't selling like hotcakes got canned (Magnum, Durango/Aspen, Pacifica, etc) even if it was probably viable long term. Unavoidable was the perception the Dodge brand carried to many and the LX cars weren't exactly dependability winners for the most part either. I actually feel that masculine styling didn't hurt the Magnum though, given that it doesn't seem to have hurt sales of vehicles like the Charger or Mustang.

    Another angle I'd take is that a wagon is generally a more family oriented vehicle and the Magnum had some practicality issues, visibility being one of them. And in a family oriented vehicle the suspect interior quality and lack of competitive "volume engines" doomed its long term nature. To get okay mileage you had to buy the oh-so-slow 2.7L. Given the (small) midsize segment while it was around with the Legacy and Passat being at the forefront, the Magnum had obvious refinement and interior design/quality disadvantages; granted, I realize the Magnum probably outsold the 6 Wagon, Legacy Wagon, and Passat wagon combined but my point is that I suspect attracted domestic-oriented car buyers rather than being any broader in its appeal. As a car it had a lot of those engine, refinement, interior quality, etc, disadvantages.

    All of that aside, I actually would advocate for Chrysler bringing back the Magnum to the Dodge lineup. The next Magnum ought to be fairly uniquely styled from its cousins as the 05-08 one was. Quality interior with thoughtful and practical touches would go a long way, especially with things like visibility and hatch opening space examples of key things to consider for practicality. Finally an economical and competitive V-6 is available, and if they really want to be aggressive on economy the 2014 Grand Cherokee just showed off a 30 mpg highway (so imagine the economy in this car!) 3.0T diesel with more than 400 lb-ft. If they did do this correctly in my armchair executive way, I'd bet they could still sell about 50K units annually and do so with far higher average transaction prices than the 2005-2008 vehicle.

    Here's to hoping ...

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    A better question is why anything that does not sell squllions has to be called a "fail" or a "failure"
    I really do agree. So often we are seeing models killed off when they don't sell 500 million units each quarter, or so it seems.
    Last edited by Amphibian; 02-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.

  14. #12
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,839
    Thanks
    12,297
    Thanked 8,108 Times in 4,783 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    I think Chrysler knew they could only sell so many (Performance/Sport) full size Dodge cars....... With the addition of the Challenger, the Magnum had to go, shifting those buyers to the Charger.
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  15. #13
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    11,928
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,324 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I think that I'd agree with a lot of the ideas presented here. The Magnum unfortunately existed towards the tipping point of Chrysler's troubles and so most of what wasn't selling like hotcakes got canned (Magnum, Durango/Aspen, Pacifica, etc) even if it was probably viable long term. Unavoidable was the perception the Dodge brand carried to many and the LX cars weren't exactly dependability winners for the most part either. I actually feel that masculine styling didn't hurt the Magnum though, given that it doesn't seem to have hurt sales of vehicles like the Charger or Mustang.

    Another angle I'd take is that a wagon is generally a more family oriented vehicle and the Magnum had some practicality issues, visibility being one of them. And in a family oriented vehicle the suspect interior quality and lack of competitive "volume engines" doomed its long term nature. To get okay mileage you had to buy the oh-so-slow 2.7L. Given the (small) midsize segment while it was around with the Legacy and Passat being at the forefront, the Magnum had obvious refinement and interior design/quality disadvantages; granted, I realize the Magnum probably outsold the 6 Wagon, Legacy Wagon, and Passat wagon combined but my point is that I suspect attracted domestic-oriented car buyers rather than being any broader in its appeal. As a car it had a lot of those engine, refinement, interior quality, etc, disadvantages.

    All of that aside, I actually would advocate for Chrysler bringing back the Magnum to the Dodge lineup. The next Magnum ought to be fairly uniquely styled from its cousins as the 05-08 one was. Quality interior with thoughtful and practical touches would go a long way, especially with things like visibility and hatch opening space examples of key things to consider for practicality. Finally an economical and competitive V-6 is available, and if they really want to be aggressive on economy the 2014 Grand Cherokee just showed off a 30 mpg highway (so imagine the economy in this car!) 3.0T diesel with more than 400 lb-ft. If they did do this correctly in my armchair executive way, I'd bet they could still sell about 50K units annually and do so with far higher average transaction prices than the 2005-2008 vehicle.

    Here's to hoping ...



    I really do agree. So often we are seeing models killed off when they don't sell 500 million units each quarter, or so it seems.
    It makes me wonder how many sales they really needed for a business case?

    The 300c Touring was a much better looker and i would imagine better equiped







    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  16. #14
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,998
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    It makes me wonder how many sales they really needed for a business case?

    The 300c Touring was a much better looker and i would imagine better equiped
    My suspicion is that the Magnum's 2007 sales were not even a full three-fifths that of 2005 sales and with that decline, cash-strapped Chrysler decided to focus on the core of their most profitable cars from Dodge while killing off everything else over the next few years. That's why the Charger, Ram, Grand Caravan, etc, lived and others like the Magnum, Caliber, etc, were killed off or completely replaced (only the Durango nameplate has returned so far from the series of vehicles that Dodge/RAM killed off from ~2008-2011).

    So if the Magnum was revived again and settled in around 45-50K units annually I think it'd survive and Chrysler would be more interested in investing in its success. I like the idea of a 300 wagon but always wanted something a little more formal looking given its more luxurious aspirations. A 300 Touring CRD wouldn't have been a bad daily though. A little big for European buyers, much less the awful interior, nor was it as good as its relative Holden competition in Australia.

  17. #15
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    11,928
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,324 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Why It Failed: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum

    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    My suspicion is that the Magnum's 2007 sales were not even a full three-fifths that of 2005 sales and with that decline, cash-strapped Chrysler decided to focus on the core of their most profitable cars from Dodge while killing off everything else over the next few years. That's why the Charger, Ram, Grand Caravan, etc, lived and others like the Magnum, Caliber, etc, were killed off or completely replaced (only the Durango nameplate has returned so far from the series of vehicles that Dodge/RAM killed off from ~2008-2011).

    So if the Magnum was revived again and settled in around 45-50K units annually I think it'd survive and Chrysler would be more interested in investing in its success. I like the idea of a 300 wagon but always wanted something a little more formal looking given its more luxurious aspirations. A 300 Touring CRD wouldn't have been a bad daily though. A little big for European buyers, much less the awful interior, nor was it as good as its relative Holden competition in Australia.
    It's a little too heavy against the Holden and Ford and looked about 3 times bigger even though it's comparitvely similar

    Thats a bad thing in a market where efficiency and perceived efficiency are both very important

    The new model 300 is much better but is still a pig in comparison to the Holden and Ford
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2