Howdy, old MoPar fan here.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy, old MoPar fan here.

Thanks

Howdy, old MoPar fan here.

...delete this post...
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 05-08-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: deleting my own post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Re: Howdy, old MoPar fan here.

Welcome to GMI.

I'm a bit of an armchair historian, with my specialty being the cars of the "Apartheid Era" in my childhood home of Cape Town, South Africa. If you weren't aware, Chrysler were a major player in the South African industry and the beloved Valiant was the country's top-selling car throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s. My parents hauled our tribe around in a burnt-orange 1974 Valiant Safari wagon (the Australian design) with the wonderful two-barrel straight six under the bonnet. I grew up just a five-minute ride on my Raleigh Chopper bike from the old Chrysler factory in Cape Town, which was being used as a parts depot at that time.

Here's an article that I hope will be of interest to you. It's of the "Chrysler Savannah", a proposed South African-built "Muscle Car" that was unfortunately scrapped at the eleventh hour.

I apologise for the small print, but hope you enjoy the article.

P.S. Save the images and blow them up for better (if a bit fuzzier) reading!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to t-rex For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-31-2017)

Thanks

Hi 'Cuda! Welcome to GMI.

My cousin's ex husband had a fully restored panther pink Barracuda, a '73 I think. I'll have to see if I have a picture somewhere. Quite the car.

Feel free to post your rides in the Member's Garage section.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    1958 Chrysler New Yorker 350/4BBL 3A
    zoooooooooooooomg! Pictures!!!!

350? I have a 1958 Plymouth with the 350. As far as I know, it was only installed in the Plymouths and Dodges that year. DeSotos got the 361. The Chrysler New Yorker had the 392 Hemi. Did you swap your engine out for some reason?

Thanks

t-rex -- wasn't that car originally designed & developed by Chrysler-Australia, where they called it a "Charger"? And, as I vaguely recall, it was availalbe with a true Hemi 6-cylinder engine!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

There's a company or two out there that will make you a NEW Charger

Plymouth fan?

'07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    t-rex -- wasn't that car originally designed & developed by Chrysler-Australia, where they called it a "Charger"? And, as I vaguely recall, it was availalbe with a true Hemi 6-cylinder engine!
    Yes, Chrysler Australia designed the car, the Valiant Charger, but the Australians used the "Hemi" six and imported the 318 and 340 engines from North America. Chrysler South Africa imported Valiant body kits from Australia and fitted them with the slant six and Torqueflite 660, both of which were made in South Africa. Chrysler SA also made the 383 locally (used in locally-built Dodge Monacos and later the "Chrysler 383", a Monaco with Newport interior and trim) and they had planned to use the 400 V8 for the top-model "Savannah". So Saffies didn't really "design" the cars, they just took other cars and made them better! Or, to be accurate, more interesting!

The South African "Charger" was actually the Duster with a Demon front clip and featured a four-barrel version of the 225, and was sold 1970-1975. Fitting them with locally-made 383's was a popular aftermarket conversion. Unfortunately the Australian-style Charger never got sold in S.A., as the "Savannah" project was canceled.

Trivia tidbit #1: Chrysler South Africa used the "Formula S" tag to describe the two-barrel version of the "slant six" unit! The four-barrel was the "Charger Power" unit! (in case you run into some South African Mopar fans online and wonder what they're talking about! )

Trivia tidbit #2: Dr Christiaan Barnard, who performed the world's first heart-transplant surgery in 1967, drove a 1966 Dodge Monaco. He and my father both worked from Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town and I remember seeing Dr Barnard driving it in the hospital parking lot!
    Last edited by t-rex; 05-06-2011 at 11:41 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,055 Times in 4,829 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Welcome to GMI, MoPar fan.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

Interesting read, I have p.m you T rex

Walking
    Thanks

Hi T rex, do you have the original article on this one as I am chasing more information if possible?? Thanks

Walking
    Thanks

Hi T rex, do you have the original article o this one as I am chasing more information etc? Thanks Val

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,055 Times in 4,829 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

^^t-rex hasn't been around for a while. Hopefully you'll have luck contacting him.^^
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    Ah damn. Do you have another contact for him or know if hes on any other forums etc? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,352 Posts

https://africanmusclecars.com/forum/...23199143f9dd97

Try going here and asking people on this forum if they know of any info.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-01-2018)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Citroen Activa, Mazda Bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by val265 View Post
    Hi T rex, do you have the original article on this one as I am chasing more information if possible?? Thanks
    Seeing as this 'Savannah 400' (or indeed the Australian Charger body itself, let alone in B-Block form) was never sold in SA, perhaps t-rex's kindly supplied reproduction actually is the original article?

Fwiw here's a couple of photos i took of a mate's VJ Charger 770 which he retrofitted with a B-Block 400 enlarged to 512 CID (5 speed manual)

Think Global - Ride on Spheres

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information