wish he'd hush about the five-hundred.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wish he'd hush about the five-hundred.

Thanks

wish he'd hush about the five-hundred.

ok.. co-worker over here hasnt shut up about the dayum five-hundred all day. he keeps yappin about how great it is, he thinks its a good thing that it shares platform with mazda6. i dont put much credit in his opinions, because this man also describes his 1998 izusu rodeo as having a "HIgh-powered V6." back to the 500

cons
    1.exterior styling in lame.
    2.name is stupid.
    3.its a ford
    4.underpowered

pros
    1.nice interior.
    2.rental copanys and fleets sales have been waiting for this car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: wish he'd hush about the five-hundred.

The front end is as ugly as the Malibu's but both are good cars..

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Seems good enough to me, not my cup of tea but certainly a truly competetive choice in the market. Sure, there's no outlandish styling but I can bet it will steal from the upper market of Accord and Camry buyers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Problem is...it doesnt share the chassis with the Mazda6. Thats the Fusion that is coming out. The 500 shares the Volvo S80 chassis and uses its AWD set up.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

What an ignorant topic.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    Problem is...it doesnt share the chassis with the Mazda6. Thats the Fusion that is coming out. The 500 shares the Volvo S80 chassis and uses its AWD set up.
    thanks,knew i shouldnt have took his word for it.

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

I too agree that the original post is a little (well a lot) biased.

1) The styling may be lame, but it's not ugly. it just isn't original. It worked for VW, it may work for Ford. Between the 500 and the Malibu, I'd take the 500 in the styling department.

2) The name isn't any more stupid than G6. 500 is no better or worse than Chrysler's 300 as a name. The name doesn't sell the car. The car sells the car.

3) I'm no Ford fan, but that's really not a valid argument. Most Ford fans will say the exact opposite of that statement.

4) It may be underpowered, but what car isn't? We can always use more power. The G6 and Malibu are no class leaders in the power department. And I'm pretty sure Ford has a new engine planned coming out.

Thanks

I think it looks nice, but the name is terrible! There are so many heritage Ford names beginning with F and they chose Five Hundred....

What I also don't like about this car is that it probably means no Aussie Falcon and Fairlane or Euro Mondeo are coming to the States. It also hints that the Town Car replacement might be FWD, which would cancel any hope for a Lincoln revival.
    Last edited by Bravada; 12-29-2004 at 02:55 PM.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I like the name. The exterior styling is too lame for my tastes, but the interior is nice. The 500's trunk is also a major pro for the car. Its HUGE.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

....Nice car...needs more power...much better Taurus than the last one...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider
    2) The name isn't any more stupid than G6. 500 is no better or worse than Chrysler's 300 as a name. The name doesn't sell the car. The car sells the car.
    The name alone may not sell the car, but it certainly isn't irrelevant either. There's a reason why Buick sells the LaCrosse as the Allure in Canada.
    Last edited by s113; 12-29-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks

Oh, I forgot to mention the Allure in the "worst names" thread. Never mind - go see the Geely!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Five Hundred is a heritage name. It evokes the Galaxie 500 and Fairlane 500 family sedans of the late 1950's and 1960's.

A Five Hundred passed me as I was driving to Dallas on Christmas Eve. The car looks impressive and handsome on the road. It is no Chrysler 300C, but it is a better car than the Impala and LeSabre.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Thunderbird, Ranger, Focus

*MN12Fan's looking around to see if Rex Raider's in an earshot of this...*

Oh, well, the Five Hundred is a Ford product. What more reason does one need to buy it?:p

Being more objective, I do think the Five Hundred is a good car overall. I know because my aunt and uncle have one and I've been able to experience it first hand.

The styling isn't lame. It may be generally conservative and not as bold as something like the 300 but it's not unattractive either. Comfort and handling is great (as far as I can tell; it's not like I was in a police chase or off-roading or something). I don't know what the AWD system is like because my aunt and uncle didn't opt for it (slippery roads aren't a huge problem where they live) but I imagine AWD would come in handy for those who need it.

Power is more than adequate for conventional driving (stop-and-go traffic, etc.). The Duratec 30 isn't a performance enthusiast's engine but, then again, the Five Hundred wasn't intended to be a performance enthusiast's car either. In terms of practicality, the Five Hundred's engine has a good formula in that it provides power in quantity great enough for most rational situations (back to that police chase idea; even if the Five Hundred had a big engine, how many people would want to race around in a family sedan?) and it gets great fuel economy, especially considering it's relatively large size and weight.

Now, for those who are really in demand of higher performance from a car this big, Ford is working on the Duratec 35 which should debut within the next couple of years. I imagine it'll be marketed as a premium engine option in the Five Hundred with the Duratec 30 taking up the "base" position. I imagine the Duratec 35 will be to the Duratec 30 in the Five Hundred like what the Duratec 30 (before it was called that) was to the old 3.0L OHV "Vulcan" V6 in the outgoing Taurus.

Speaking of the Taurus, things must be put into perspective when considering the Five Hundred. Since the Five Hundred is one of the successors to the Taurus (the other being the Fusion), it must be taken into account the changes between the cars in order to determine if there's been an improvement. The existence of an improvement over the Taurus not only dictates that the Five Hundred is a "better" car but that Ford successfully managed to evolve some. Just looking at performance it is clear that there's been an improvement. The Duratec 30-equipped Five Hundred will outrun a Taurus with the same engine, in spite of being heavier. Now if a Duratec 30 was the best that could be expected from the Taurus and the Five Hundred offers it standard with a more powerful engine option on the way then it should be apparent that progress has been made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ehaase
    Five Hundred is a heritage name. It evokes the Galaxie 500 and Fairlane 500 family sedans of the late 1950's and 1960's.
    I do know that! And actually I like them both very much. But 500 was just a designation of a version of a model. Anyway, Five Hundred does not sound like a proper and meaningful name for a car to me.

I've got to admit though that GS or LS, which sound like equipment version designations from a car manufacturer whose marketing department is on a long-term leave, have become actual car names. Maybe I should just get accustomed to the fact that it's not 1960s anymore...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information