US reviews Ford recall of cars prone to overheating, fires in 1.6L engines

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: US reviews Ford recall of cars prone to overheating, fires in 1.6L engines

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

US reviews Ford recall of cars prone to overheating, fires in 1.6L engines

US reviews Ford recall of cars prone to overheating, fires

By TOM KRISHER, AP AUTO WRITER

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...fires-46594136

The U.S. government's auto safety agency is reviewing a Ford Motor Co. recall of thousands of cars, SUVs and vans that can run low on coolant and potentially overheat and catch fire after the company proposed a remedy that doesn't fix the coolant problem.

Ford notified the agency about the recall, which has caused 29 engine fires, in paperwork dated last week. The automaker said it would install a sensor that warns owners when coolant is low in the 1.6-Liter turbocharged engines. The sensor does not solve the underlying problem of vanishing coolant.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Tuesday it is reviewing the recall. "The agency will take appropriate action as necessary," an agency spokeswoman said in a statement. She would not provide further details. The agency confirmed the review after The Associated Press raised questions about Ford's remedy.

NHTSA could determine that the fix solves the fire problem, or it could open an investigation to see if more repairs are needed.

Experts say coolant shouldn't become depleted in newer cars, and that Ford may be cutting costs by shifting responsibility for the problem to owners. Coolant could be leaking from a number of places, or the engine could be burning it, both of which could cause significant engine trouble down the road — especially if owners don't religiously watch coolant levels and act immediately if they get low.
    So does the coolant burn off or leak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

Re: US reviews Ford recall of cars prone to overheating, fires in 1.6L engines

I have a 2013 Fusion 1.6L and at 80k miles a routine of coolant level showed it down below normal. Took almost a pint to fill it. So far hasn't caught on fire. Hardly something that is prone to overheating and has never caught on fire.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supermoto View Post
    I have a 2013 Fusion 1.6L and at 80k miles a routine of coolant level showed it down below normal. Took almost a pint to fill it. So far hasn't caught on fire. Hardly something that is prone to overheating and has never caught on fire.
    Have to wonder who would drive a car with all of the overheat warnings going off. The one time that has ever happened to me, I switched the heater on full blast and found a place to pull over ASAP.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I have overheated cars and some nearly to the point of seizing the motors and NEVER ONCE had a FIRE THAT IMHO is the fault to be looked into

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information