South Florida International Auto Show (and Continental Concept) Notes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: South Florida International Auto Show (and Continental Concept) Notes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

South Florida International Auto Show (and Continental Concept) Notes

I was able to go to the South Florida International Auto Show last night, and wanted to share some thoughts and pictures. It's not a huge show, and we typically get last year's concepts, but it's still fun to go to and see all the latest cars.

In the Ford display, they had a GT350, but was locked. They had the rest of the regular lineup on display as well. They had the new Super Duty on display. It's better looking in person than pictures. Not quite as "out there" or large looking as it seems. And there's details you can see in person that you can't see in pictures. For example, the "vent" is actually a vent, and the area where it says F-_50 is at an angle to the sheetmetal.

On the Lincoln side of things, as I mentioned, we usually get last year's major show concepts. Thankfully (I was hoping they would), they had the Continental concept there. WOW, it looked fantastic. I unfortunately wasn't able to talk to the Lincoln representatives to get their view on the overall feel for the car and reception they'd gotten, but I did hear a few people say positive things about it. One thing I noticed about it was its sheer size. I don't know the dimensions on it, but it looks quite long in person. Also the way the design is, the taper with the hips/beltline that gets lower further back on the car is pretty evident. If it's close to the concept (and indications are it will be), I think they'll have a hit on their hands.

They also had both an MKZ Black Label and an MKX Black Label there. The material quality difference between them and the regular versions are definitely noticeable. I thought the new MKX looks great, and look forward to hopefully being able to do the Date Night with it (and review it like I did with the MKC writeup I did a while back).

---
    Elsewhere in the show, Lexus manages to make their products uglier and uglier with each new release of the predator grille. I thought the new RX looks terrible, but I know they'll probably somehow sell a ton of them.

Also of note, the VW display was empty. Only a few teenagers sitting in a Golf. The scandal is definitely hurting them it seems.

--

Also, sorry if some of the comments seemed short - I had a lengthier assortment of comments typed out, but then my browser decided to go back a page when I hit the spacebar at one point, so I lost my post and this is what I ended up with.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

2b2 (11-08-2015),ChrisGinNC (11-09-2015),Dequindre (11-08-2015),Murrow (11-11-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: South Florida International Auto Show (and Continental Concept) Notes

On another forum, I had someone ask me how it compared to the CT6. They did have a CT6 at the show, but it was up on a turntable with the door open, so it was hard to gauge much. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent more time looking at it (though I was with a buddy and his parents, who kinda kept my buddy and I from perusing things more thoroughly like we normally would've), but it was hard to get excited about the CT6. It looks exactly the same as every other Cadillac model on the floor there. If you were just looking at it, you wouldn't know it's a different model. Honestly, I felt the Conti looked longer, but that can also 1) be deceptive because the Conti to me looks much more sleek, and 2) if there is truly a "CT8" coming, the CT6 may, in fact, be shorter than the Conti.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

2b2 (11-08-2015)

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    On another forum, I had someone ask me how it compared to the CT6...
    wonder who?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    On another forum, I had someone ask me how it compared to the CT6. They did have a CT6 at the show, but it was up on a turntable with the door open, so it was hard to gauge much. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent more time looking at it (though I was with a buddy and his parents, who kinda kept my buddy and I from perusing things more thoroughly like we normally would've), but it was hard to get excited about the CT6. It looks exactly the same as every other Cadillac model on the floor there. If you were just looking at it, you wouldn't know it's a different model. Honestly, I felt the Conti looked longer, but that can also 1) be deceptive because the Conti to me looks much more sleek, and 2) if there is truly a "CT8" coming, the CT6 may, in fact, be shorter than the Conti.
    I'll deliver this message to FiN for you, Rmc
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

At first I thought this was a FLIBS post, then I saw "Auto" Cool photos nonetheless, but I love yachts, too.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

By far the best "standard" production car was the new 2016 Malibu, and 2016 burgandy Camaro SS.....best exotic. the world's only bright PURPLE McLaren !!

Thanks
    My Ride

Update after I went back to the show a second time.

Here are some more pictures from the Ford display....I was too lazy to crop them, sorry haha

They had this yellow GT350 right up front:

Also, I completely missed this white Focus RS last time I was there. It was locked.

Finally, here's a collection of pics of the new Super Duty:

Headlight detail

Taillight closeup

Closeup of the Ford badge in the grille with the camera and camera washer (that little slot shape to the right)

Here's the fender vent I mentioned in the opening post.

I thought this FORD detail on the tow mirrors (likely the same on the F-150) was nice:
    Last edited by rmc523; 11-16-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

I was there this past weekend, it wasn't a bad show.

I was extremely impressed by the Continental concept; I didn't intend to be but it was pretty stunning in person. I wish that the lighting was working at the point that I was there, but oh well.

I agree that it had more of a presence than the CT6, however, I did find that the CT6 was nicely proportioned. I was surprised how much attention the CT6 was getting, especially considering the way people gravitate towards the European models around here. I'm hoping that once they go on sale I might catch a few in my neighborhood.

On a side note, I'm bummed that I didn't catch that there were Black Label Lincolns on display. Was there much (any) signage drawing attention to the Black Label line?

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chaseabryant View Post
    I was there this past weekend, it wasn't a bad show.

I was extremely impressed by the Continental concept; I didn't intend to be but it was pretty stunning in person. I wish that the lighting was working at the point that I was there, but oh well.

I agree that it had more of a presence than the CT6, however, I did find that the CT6 was nicely proportioned. I was surprised how much attention the CT6 was getting, especially considering the way people gravitate towards the European models around here. I'm hoping that once they go on sale I might catch a few in my neighborhood.

On a side note, I'm bummed that I didn't catch that there were Black Label Lincolns on display. Was there much (any) signage drawing attention to the Black Label line?

-Chase
    Hm, both times I went, there were only 1 or 2 people standing near the CT6.

As for the Black Labels, I don't recall much, if any, signage for them. The Black MKZ in the middle of the display was a Black Label one (with Center Stage theme), while the white MKX in the back right corner (it was nestled in that little box structure) was also a Black Label model, featuring 'The Muse' theme.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information