Rumor Mill: Lincoln Getting Rivian-Based EV - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumor Mill: Lincoln Getting Rivian-Based EV

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rumor Mill: Lincoln Getting Rivian-Based EV

Both need to do a full on luxury dually 2500/3500, there's an untapped market there. The Blackwood failed because it was too limiting, as in only available in black, and the bed was useless. The MK-LT failed because it didn't go far enough...slapping a vertical slatted chrome grille on a F150 doesn't make a Lincoln. The EXT didn't make it because the Avalanche died, which itself was a gimmick. A Caddy/Lincoln dually would be a middle finger to the euros...something that the euros can't possibly do.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (05-03-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I also heard about this from the Town Hall meeting, reportedly they also stated they wanted to buy the company but Rivian wished to remain independent. Ford is already developing their F-150 BEV so I doubt Lincoln is interested in the Rivian truck as everybody who doesn't read press releases assumes. If they were, Ford already has an electric truck on the way which is very distinctive from the next-gen F-150 platform. Lincoln is getting its first BEV in 2023, but it's not the Rivian or Mach-E (it's a larger premium BEV Crossover shared with Ford to be built at Flatrock). So Lincoln will not be getting a variant of the Mach-E, probably because it's not appropriate for them.

I'm still a little perplexed why Ford got involved with Rivian with so much parallel development already happening. Ford already has a very expensively developed BEV architecture with a Tesla-like design (Dual motors front and rear, battery sled, freakishly long wheelbase, etc.). I think the real interest must be in the EV systems, like motors and batteries. Currently, everybody except Tesla sources their motors and batteries from essentially the same suppliers (Borg Warner, GKN, LG Chem, etc). I'm not sure, but Rivian may have an appealing high-end ground-up hardware design that Ford wants.

It still doesn't make sense to me, it may be a fruitless exercise but we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it's political, trying to keep the other Detroit carmakers away from buying their way into truck electrification where Ford is poised to take early leadership. I bet Ford was the only one that could tell them they're not there to copy the truck.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-08-2019 at 09:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

sfbreh (05-14-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Both need to do a full on luxury dually 2500/3500, there's an untapped market there. The Blackwood failed because it was too limiting, as in only available in black, and the bed was useless. The MK-LT failed because it didn't go far enough...slapping a vertical slatted chrome grille on a F150 doesn't make a Lincoln. The EXT didn't make it because the Avalanche died, which itself was a gimmick. A Caddy/Lincoln dually would be a middle finger to the euros...something that the euros can't possibly do.
    I think you are 100% right. GMC should be doing this, but GM isn’t taking advantage of the potential inherent within that brand. Lincoln could really benefit from a well done half ton derivative and a well executed Super Duty derivative. Bronco could spawn an interesting Lincoln too. They just need to make sure that the look is differentiated sufficiently and the execution is solid.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    I think you are 100% right. GMC should be doing this, but GM isn’t taking advantage of the potential inherent within that brand. Lincoln could really benefit from a well done half ton derivative and a well executed Super Duty derivative. Bronco could spawn an interesting Lincoln too. They just need to make sure that the look is differentiated sufficiently and the execution is solid.
    The last 2 Lincoln trucks failed if they tried something like that the GMC would curb stomp the Lincoln into the stone age.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg.Botts View Post
    The last 2 Lincoln trucks failed if they tried something like that the GMC would curb stomp the Lincoln into the stone age.
    Is this a parody troll account? I mean it couldn't be more perfect if it was orchestrated. I'm not convinced this is a real human being, there can't be people this delusional and maladjusted in the world...can there? This is like the perfect setup for a response! I seriously think this guy is working for Ford.

F-150 has all of this TODAY or in a year: Ecoboost (most powerful engines in a half-ton), Standard ALL Aluminum construction (no optional light-weighting), a modern gear selector, independent rear suspension, HUD, Adaptive Steering, 12" console display, Hybrid, BEVs, Onboard Generators, Adaptive Cruise with lane-centering and sign recognition, Raptor with adaptive Fox shocks, and WAY more...I'd love to know at what point the GMC starts stone-aging anything, let alone the Ford.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-21-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Is this a parody troll account? I mean it couldn't be more perfect if it was orchestrated. I'm not convinced this is a real human being, there can't be people this delusional and maladjusted in the world...can there? This is like the perfect setup for a response! I seriously think this guy is working for Ford.

F-150 has all of this TODAY or in a year: Ecoboost (most powerful engines in a half-ton), Standard ALL Aluminum construction (no optional light-weighting), a modern gear selector, independent rear suspension, HUD, Adaptive Steering, 12" console display, Hybrid, BEVs, Onboard Generators, Adaptive Cruise with lane-centering and sign recognition, Raptor with adaptive Fox shocks, and WAY more...I'd love to know at what point the GMC starts stone-aging anything, let alone the Ford.
    EcoBoost has been NOTORIOUSLY unreliable seriously check out some truck forums when you get a sec all those turbo failures and MPG numbers not even close to the window sticker.... oh yea and lets not forget the aluminum bed that can puncture easily. Going with the gear selector argument again I see I would much rather have that over the stupid floor shifter that takes up space. You can get a HUD and lane keeping in the Sierra already nice try.

Where is Fords 6.2? Where is Ford's rear view mirror camera? Where is Ford's Pedestrian Braking? Where is Ford's MultiPro Tailgate?

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Greg.Botts View Post
    EcoBoost has been NOTORIOUSLY unreliable seriously check out some truck forums when you get a sec all those turbo failures and MPG numbers not even close to the window sticker.... oh yea and lets not forget the aluminum bed that can puncture easily. Going with the gear selector argument again I see I would much rather have that over the stupid floor shifter that takes up space. You can get a HUD and lane keeping in the Sierra already nice try.

Where is Fords 6.2? Where is Ford's rear view mirror camera? Where is Ford's Pedestrian Braking? Where is Ford's MultiPro Tailgate?
    You realize most of Ford's lineup has pedestrian braking standard, right? And that the MultiPro tailgate was a response to Ford's tailgate step that came out in 2009?

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    So now Mary B can announce that the first EV Silverado will be branded as a Cadillac. Please use a real name not some odd three letter nomenclature. I suggest it be called the "Coulomb"
    nah Colomb ,as well as being a scientist, is an SI unit so it wouldn't pass muster in a non-metric land.
    I think it is an appropriate name though seeing it is a measure of electric charge (1amp/sec).

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I think the time is right for a luxury pickup. Lincoln was ahead of its time with the Blackwood (and learned some lessons on functionality), the market wasn't ready, but I think the market is now ready for a $100k pickup from Lincoln and Cadillac.
    When the Range Rover first appeared it wasn't a luxury vehicle nor was the market established so it was ahead of its time. Maybe Cadillac and/or Lincoln could have the same success.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12