Restyled Chinese Explorer

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Restyled Chinese Explorer

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Restyled Chinese Explorer

The Chinese Explorer is available with 8 different grille configurations, which includes a 2nd fascia in addition to the one we are familiar with. They also get an even larger nearly buttonless infotainment screen.

Personally I find this to be a big improvement over the bizarre Joker smile design Dearborn came up with.

CXAeeQh.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,253 Posts

Re: Restyled Chinese Explorer

I stumbled across this Explorer ST that was done up for SEMA '19 a while back:

Take those 24" wheels down to something normal 22" tops and keep the monochrome paint and this would be almost perfect.

As it sits right now the ST, even with the dorky black 2 tone is the only Explorer i'd take.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (04-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

your tiny image wouldn't load for me, here's a bigger one:

It definitely looks better. My biggest complaint with our Explorer is the way the grille cuts under the headlights. It's odd.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Your image won't load at all. GMI is extremely outdated which doesn't help matters.

As for the North America Explorer fascia (which China is also getting btw), it's a combination of factors for me. It looks tolerable on the ST because it blacks out the grille and headlights which simplifies the shape and merges those elements into one piece. You can see the designers had the ST in mind first, and the design fell apart with the other versions which ended up magnifying the weird shape of the grille with prominent textures and chrome finishes. It looks WAY too wide and thin at the same time the headlights are set too far in at the top, giving the car a clumsy unibrow look. That's all punctuated by giant flaring nostrils of flat black plastic in the lower fascia with a prominent slot in the middle which adds to the messiness of it all. The Chinese design fixes ALL of that for me and gives it a more upscale look. It's a shame because they squandered a sleek well proportioned design with that nonsense on the face.

ChineseExplorer2.jpg
    Last edited by BORG; 04-30-2020 at 06:59 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Your image won't load at all. GMI is extremely outdated which doesn't help matters.

As for the North America Explorer fascia (which China is also getting btw), it's a combination of factors for me. It looks tolerable on the ST because it blacks out the grille and headlights which simplifies the shape and merges those elements into one piece. You can see the designers had the ST in mind first, and the design fell apart with the other versions which ended up magnifying the weird shape of the grille with prominent textures and chrome finishes. It looks WAY too wide and thin at the same time the headlights are set too far in at the top, giving the car a clumsy unibrow look. That's all punctuated by giant flaring nostrils of flat black plastic in the lower fascia with a prominent slot in the middle which adds to the messiness of it all. The Chinese design fixes ALL of that for me and gives it a more upscale look. It's a shame because they squandered a sleek well proportioned design with that nonsense on the face.

ChineseExplorer2.jpg
    Yeah...its almost as if someone fat fingered a measurement on the headlights and it was caught after the lights were mass produced...so they took the cheaper way out and resized the grille.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The face on the Chinese version is just different, not exactly better. Too bulky looking. I prefer the US Plantinum or even the ST which appear sleeker.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I think Explorer's biggest sin is that it went for a sleek wagon-like look. It's visually very car-like which betrays the Explorer's SUV image which is a huge part of its appeal. The Chinese face gives that front-end more presence while maintaining proportions. I think it could be done better in some regard, but just minimizing that flush wrap-around look helps restore some of that SUV DNA and ultimately looks more contemporary.

To me this just proves it won't take much to fix the Explorer design.
    Last edited by BORG; 04-30-2020 at 09:38 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (05-03-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,544 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

ChineseExplorer2.jpg
    What would you think of the notion that Explorer's shortcomings are the result of Ford taking
    so long to go from research to development and delivery that the original assumptions are now
    no longer in line with what buyers want (if they ever really were...)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

The big problem with CD6 is that it was very expensive to develop and was primarily greenlit by Fields to give Lincoln their RWD platform alongside Explorer and Mustang, but ultimately they struggled to get the platform to scale which accelerated the demise of the Lincoln sedan. But this happened pretty early in development so this has largely been an Explorer/Aviator only platform, but it was intended for way more volume. I think the big shortcomings with Explorer came down to getting costs down rather than the timeline. These two products are still extremely ambitious, but not in a way that is as tangible as it should be (Hybrids and RWD vs Seat Monitors and USB-Ports).

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,544 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    The big problem with CD6 is that it was very expensive to develop and was primarily greenlit by Fields to give Lincoln their RWD platform alongside Explorer and Mustang, but ultimately they struggled to get the platform to scale which accelerated the demise of the Lincoln sedan. But this happened pretty early in development so this has largely been an Explorer/Aviator only platform, but it was intended for way more volume. I think the big shortcomings with Explorer came down to getting costs down rather than the timeline. These two products are still extremely ambitious, but not in a way that is as tangible as it should be (Hybrids and RWD vs Seat Monitors and USB-Ports).
    But was CD6 all that expensive to develop? Ford was already a long way down the road with
    developing vehicles by use of engineering modules, power trains, suspension and electrical
    systems are a big part of front end costs and I suspect that Ford had most of the elements
    there in rather short order....the project becoming much simpler when cars were dropped.

Not saying there weren't significant costs with CD6 SUVs but that was to be expected after
    riding D4 into the ground......the alternative was the well aged CD4 and Traverse-like move.
    To that end, your suggestion that this was all about a superior Aviator is 100% correct.

In my mind, the corridor of acceptable trim, styling and price is rather narrow, step outside
    of those parameters and buyers go off the bite real quick. And again, your belief that most
    perceived faults can be quickly corrected in short order, I'm hoping cv-19 break gives Ford
    time to reflect and correct.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information