PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

  1. #1
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,944
    Thanks
    1,532
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 2,545 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    StangTV...LINK
    There was one engine sitting in the Ford Performance PRI booth that almost went overlooked.
    You wouldn’t know it from a standard Aluminator XS, that is, until you read the spec sheet in
    front of the engine. The A52XS engine is derived from the M-6007-A52XS part number.

    Partially GT350 and 2015 GT parts, the A52XS boasts power capabilities of over 570 horsepower
    through its 317 cubic inches.
    More at story link above.......



    We took a 5.0-liter Coyote short-block – put the GT350 heads, cams, and intake on it
    and picked up 100 horsepower – Mike Delahanty
    We are working on some other ideas. Maybe we can get some more displacement out of
    this engine with more stroke – Mike Delahanty, Ford Performance
    This photo best illustrates exactly how well the GT350 cylinder heads paired with the Cobra Jet
    intake manifold work on a standard 5.0 Coyote. The additional 15 cubic inches and half a point
    of compression is what makes the additional 41 horsepower on the 5.2-liter.





    Last edited by jpd80; 12-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    30,647
    Thanks
    5,352
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,704 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    How much does this motor weigh?

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 red_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 102 Times in 66 Posts
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Badass, I wasn't aware they'd be able to interchange that directly between the two motors. This is cool for the Coyote aftermarket. I would be curious what it does on 91 octane though.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 SBC / 4-spd, Silver on Blue

    2015 Colorado WT Ext. Cab - 2.5 / N8D 6-spd, Rainforest Green

    1972 Yamaha CT2 175cc

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    My Ride
    Thunderbird, Ranger, Focus

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    How much does this motor weigh?
    Standard 5.0 Coyote weighed in at 430lbs when it came out: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/d...ll-new-5-0-v8/

    I suspect this is in the ballpark.

  7. #5
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,944
    Thanks
    1,532
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 2,545 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by red_rider View Post
    Badass, I wasn't aware they'd be able to interchange that directly between the two motors. This is cool for the Coyote aftermarket. I would be curious what it does on 91 octane though.
    The cams were changed to match the Coyote's cross plane crank compared to the GT 350.
    The compression is a lot less than that used in GT350 so maybe they can run on 91 comfortably but prefer 93...

    Interesting that the Coyote 5.0 picked up 100 HP with just the heads, Cams and intake on 12:1 compression
    while the 5.2 gains another 41 HP thanks to increasing compression half a point and capacity by 0.2 liters.

  8. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    8,775
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 825 Times in 417 Posts
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    And that's why DOHC motors make such great power for the displacement. Just looking at the heads show how much flow they are going to have. The valve area (airflow) is crazy compared to a two valve engine. I also like how the spark plug is right in the middle of all that air.

  9. #7
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,767
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked 622 Times in 322 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    And that's why DOHC motors make such great power for the displacement. Just looking at the heads show how much flow they are going to have. The valve area (airflow) is crazy compared to a two valve engine. I also like how the spark plug is right in the middle of all that air.
    Great power for displacement but when comparing power to actual physical size of the motor it becomes a moot point. OHV is just as efficient.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

    -- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

  10. #8
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    8,775
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 825 Times in 417 Posts
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    Great power for displacement but when comparing power to actual physical size of the motor it becomes a moot point. OHV is just as efficient.
    Who cares about the physical size. Now if you would have said weight then I would be on bored.

  11. #9
    Back!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,366
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked 673 Times in 387 Posts

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    The real advantage of engines like this is in how well they take to forced induction. It was ridiculously easy, relative to what one might think. to make over 1000hp on a Modular V8 with fewer cubes than this 10 years ago. At this point, if you prefer your aspiration to be of the artificial variety, how stupid you can get is limited primarily by your wallet and bravery, and it takes less of the former than you might think.

  12. #10
    Walking
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Lightbulb Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Who cares about the physical size. Now if you would have said weight then I would be on bored.
    The Windsor with an iron block and E7TE iron heads is much smaller dimensionally, and roughly the same weight as the 5.0 DOHC engine. Another way of stating that is: you could use a 302W aluminum block with ordinary iron liners at either a 4.000 or 4.125-inch bore, with a 3.00, 3.25, or 3.40 (popular sizes) crank for nearly 5957cc (363.502 cubic inches) -- and be nearly 100 pounds lighter than the 5.0 DOHC. If you want that power level with great street manners and easy mass-production assembly ability, use the AFR Renegade 165 heads (or the 185, etc.). Surely, those engines will make over 100 horsepower per liter on 91.

    And if you don't want to lose the fat torque curve, here's an thought: an aluminum-block, aluminum-head low-deck Windsor with a 2.9-liter liquid-cooled Lysholm or Whipple, with a liquid-cooled intercooler, will have almost exactly the same installed weight as the naturally-aspirated 5.0 DOHC -- and if you do it right, you save the ability to run 87 if you get in a jam. Sure, the 5.0 DOHC and the A52XS are cool as all get-out, but if you just want ridiculous power and handling, the Windsor still seems to make more sense.

    If Ford had put genuine effort into fully optimizing the Windsor ....

  13. #11
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,944
    Thanks
    1,532
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 2,545 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

    Quote Originally Posted by wireflight View Post
    The Windsor with an iron block and E7TE iron heads is much smaller dimensionally, and roughly the same weight as the 5.0 DOHC engine. Another way of stating that is: you could use a 302W aluminum block with ordinary iron liners at either a 4.000 or 4.125-inch bore, with a 3.00, 3.25, or 3.40 (popular sizes) crank for nearly 5957cc (363.502 cubic inches) -- and be nearly 100 pounds lighter than the 5.0 DOHC. If you want that power level with great street manners and easy mass-production assembly ability, use the AFR Renegade 165 heads (or the 185, etc.). Surely, those engines will make over 100 horsepower per liter on 91.

    And if you don't want to lose the fat torque curve, here's an thought: an aluminum-block, aluminum-head low-deck Windsor with a 2.9-liter liquid-cooled Lysholm or Whipple, with a liquid-cooled intercooler, will have almost exactly the same installed weight as the naturally-aspirated 5.0 DOHC -- and if you do it right, you save the ability to run 87 if you get in a jam. Sure, the 5.0 DOHC and the A52XS are cool as all get-out, but if you just want ridiculous power and handling, the Windsor still seems to make more sense.

    If Ford had put genuine effort into fully optimizing the Windsor ....
    I have great affection for the Windsors (own one as a keepsake and intend giving it AFR165s and Lunati 270 roller)

    but, the 5.2 Coyote is the future and no matter how tough you build a Windsor, it's really going to struggle to stay with an 8,000 rev limit and still idle like a smooth stocker. The spring pressures with the DOHC are much lighter and let the engine "live" with higher revs and wilder cams..

    Give the 5.2 the same cam timing you're throwing at the Windsor and it will eat it alive on horsepower.
    And the blocks are wicked strong for forced induction.

    Heck, any Used Coyote is a more affordable foundation for power than an aftermarket alloy Windsor block
    and after market alloy heads, throw that cash towards better internals and induction and you're miles ahead.

    (Ported Gen 1 Coyote heads flow up to 600 hp)
    Last edited by jpd80; 03-02-2016 at 02:33 AM.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2