"One Ford" peaks - new models to be regionally specific

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "One Ford" peaks - new models to be regionally specific

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

"One Ford" peaks - new models to be regionally specific

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...egion-specific

The ‘One Ford’ policy, under which the same basic models are sold in all regions around the world, “has peaked”, according to the company’s global design chief, Moray Callum.

Speaking to Autocar, he said the approach isn’t being abandoned, but new models will be “more tailored to each region”. Of the One Ford policy, introduced by previous Ford boss Alan Mulally, Callum said: “It was the right approach at the time.”

One Ford prompted the development of the Mustang as a global model, the launch of the Fiesta in the US and the arrival of the Brazilian Ecosport crossover in Europe, as well as the disposal of the Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and part-owned Mazda brands from Ford’s portfolio. The One Ford strategy was also partly responsible for returning Ford to financial health following the 2008 financial crisis.

Callum said the next Focus will diverge a little from the original philosophy. “It’s an entry-level model in the US, but not in Europe,” he said. “They will be visually similar but there will be less content for the US model.”

As well as a reduced level of standard equipment, the US Focus could feature less sophisticated suspension, given that the need for strong driving dynamics is less vital in this market and at this price point.

Callum also talked about Ford design. He described the design language as “post-kinetic”, but said it was still being used. “For Ford, it means cars that are fun to drive and great to look at,” he added. “We won’t change it dramatically. It will just evolve.” What it evolves into probably won’t have a label. “I’m not into names,” he said.

Spy pictures of the imminent next Fiesta have revealed a car that appears to have evolved quite modestly. However, Callum said: “There will be more of a step change in style after the Fiesta.”

Of the Vignale sub-brand, Callum said: “There will be no stand-alone model for the foreseeable future.” But he added: “New models are being designed with Vignale requirements in mind, so they will be better differentiated.” That includes the next Fiesta, which will have a Vignale edition from launch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Toto (11-01-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Re: "One Ford" peaks - new models to be regionally specific

You're making a mistake, Ford. Probably not a big one, but you're opening a door that doesn't need to be opened and lower the threshold for reasons to open new doors.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

jry (10-31-2016),ryannel2003 (10-31-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    You're making a mistake, Ford. Probably not a big one, but you're opening a door that doesn't need to be opened and lower the threshold for reasons to open new doors.
    It recognises that markets see specific models differently, something that GM spectacularly failed to do when renaming Daewoo as Chevrolet and trying to sell Cruze to Europeans.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (11-05-2016),TheBUC (10-31-2016)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    It recognises that markets see specific models differently, something that GM spectacularly failed to do when renaming Daewoo as Chevrolet and trying to sell Cruze to Europeans.
    Like with engines, engineer or design with your highest possible requirements in mind and disseminate.

This smacks of a slippery slope of cheapness I don't want to see Ford go down.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (11-06-2016),richmond2000 (10-31-2016),WishIhadatruck (11-04-2016)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,156 Posts

Like with engines, engineer or design with your highest possible requirements in mind and disseminate.

This is what happens though when you bring the Focus to NA as sold in EU where handling and driving dynamics are vital, and it sells decently but not great. Nissan builds some of the worst driving small cars and sells a **** ton, the Cruze does not have any sporting context outside of blue wheels and it outsells the Focus. If you build a better driving car because you believe people will buy it, then they don't you have to reevaluate your focus (no pun intended). From the article it sounds more like decontenting for markets that just won't pay for a premium mainstream small car more than building to similar, but very different cars again.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    This is what happens though when you bring the Focus to NA as sold in EU where handling and driving dynamics are vital, and it sells decently but not great. Nissan builds some of the worst driving small cars and sells a **** ton, the Cruze does not have any sporting context outside of blue wheels and it outsells the Focus. If you build a better driving car because you believe people will buy it, then they don't you have to reevaluate your focus (no pun intended). From the article it sounds more like decontenting for markets that just won't pay for a premium mainstream small car more than building to similar, but very different cars again.

IMHO it is ONE thing to make the SAME car BUT set up for different markets IE Cruze with/without the Z link

VS the Mark II Focus that was a "cr*&py" car in US guise but a GOOD BUT UNRELATED car in Euro Guise (pay TWICE TO MAKE 2 separate cars to do the SAME JOB)
    OR turning the Astra INTO the Cruze again 2 cars to do the SAME job

IMHO every maker uses "ONE FORD" like mantra for their CORE products (the CIVIC in Canada is the SAME as the one bought in South Africa except for trim and other "localization")
    Honda can turn one into the other for LITTLE cost outside of Govt regs ETC

13. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (10-31-2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    That was kind of what I got out of this. They're decontenting or cheapening things up for the US market because a lot of the buyers want it that way. Personally I like the GM and Cruze method better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (10-31-2016)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,544 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

No, Callum's reasoning wasn't clearly communicated properly.

In other global regions, the base trim level for Focus has been dropped as more global buyers
    seek a more complete car package and are prepared to pay for it, kind of like a Buick/Opel
    as opposed to a Chevrolet version of the same car.

So what Ford is proposing for Nth America is to maintain the status quo with model trim levels
    but allow the higher series entry point for global versions to continue - it's respectful compromise
    to market sensitivities, not decontenting for North America.

One Ford was all about maximizing scales of economy by reducing platform count and using
    a global supplier base, regional variation of those vehicles has always been there and that
    "wiggle room" has seen significant variation in products delivered in North America vs ROW.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-31-2016 at 02:16 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

CJH (10-31-2016),sfbreh (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    IMHO every maker uses "ONE FORD" like mantra for their CORE products (the CIVIC in Canada is the SAME as the one bought in South Africa except for trim and other "localization")
    Honda can turn one into the other for LITTLE cost outside of Govt regs ETC
    But they don't - Honda build different Accords for different markets, VW builds different Passats, Hyundai/Kia build different models for different markets, many other brands do the same.

I never thought "One Ford" was a good idea - either the models would be too American which would wreck their sales in Europe - be too European and wreck their sales in North America - or be mid-Atlantic and fail both sides.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

CJH (10-31-2016),megeebee (11-01-2016),SierraGS (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Ruby Red Fusion Titanium

I don't see Ford turning the Focus into a stripper fleet car on every trim but turning the car into what more North American's want...A good riding car and not so much focused on handling and performance like the current car. The Cobalt/Cruze did/do well because of that reason. It's meant to be boring, Focus not so much

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 2,109 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Callum said the next Focus will diverge a little from the original philosophy. “It’s an entry-level model in the US, but not in Europe,” he said. “They will be visually similar but there will be less content for the US model.”

As well as a reduced level of standard equipment, the US Focus could feature less sophisticated suspension, given that the need for strong driving dynamics is less vital in this market and at this price point.

To me, that still follows a 1-car-1-world policy.
    What is being described is simple localization. A VW in Germany isn't exactly the same as a VW in the US. The suspension is far tighter in the German version. But it's still the same VW.

You make 1 car. And in different regions, you customize it to local preferences.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (03-06-2017),CJH (11-03-2016),richmond2000 (11-01-2016),The Handler (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

What Ford is realizing is the need for regional variation to meet the needs of those customers,
    it's not as easy as pumping out the one exact same vehicle all over the world.

One Ford was a good plan for unifying the Ford company and eliminating duplication,
    but now it's time to change gears and do more for regional buyers.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

07SIERRA (11-01-2016),Citation84 (03-06-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

But they don't - Honda build different Accords for different markets, VW builds different Passats, Hyundai/Kia build different models for different markets, many other brands do the same.

I never thought "One Ford" was a good idea - either the models would be too American which would wreck their sales in Europe - be too European and wreck their sales in North America - or be mid-Atlantic and fail both sides.
    the ACCORD NAME was applied to different cars in different markets BUT the underlying cars were MOSTLY global
    the Euro market accord was the Acura TSX in America
    and the USDM Accord was the Inspire in the Japanese market

the BIG difference is US market looks to the Focus as a COMPACT entry car and expects to move up to the Fusion VS Europe sees the FOCUS AS the Family size car to move INTO
    so it will NATURALLY need to be BETTER to compete in the "heart" of the MARKET VS being an entry car / city run about / Second set of wheels

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

In Europe and ROW markets, the Focus mostly starts at an SE (Trend) trim level, the base S (Ambiente)
    has been given the flick as a waste of time - if truth were told, the S trim in USA is not a big seller either.

I think Ford is just clinging to old notions that US buyers mostly want a cheap compact, Ford's own dealer
    stock and buyer feed back should be telling them that most buyers want the SE and Titanium/ST trim levels.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 2,109 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I think Ford is just clinging to old notions that US buyers mostly want a cheap compact, Ford's own dealer
    stock and buyer feed back should be telling them that most buyers want the SE and Titanium/ST trim levels.
    Of course that's what they're doing.
    Americans, for the most part, aren't convinced that a compact or sub-compact car can't be "high end."

If people just see just how stacked with features some of the European compacts have, maybe they'll understand.
    I mean, the old Lancia Deltas had features, technologies, and amenities Americans couldn't find in Cadillacs of the day.
    That says a lot.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (11-02-2016)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information