Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

https://www.motortrend.com/news/offi...y-ev-suv-ford/

We kinda saw the rumors for this over the past year or so but now it's official.

Something else from this article though:
    "Meanwhile, Lincoln will stop making the MKZ sedan at the end of the year at the Hermosillo, Mexico, assembly plant, which will be retooled to make the next-generation Transit Connect small commercial van."

This is disappointing my MKZ is now at 72k miles I will probably be replacing it next year and was hoping for a new Z or what ever name it would get and hoping it would go to CD6. Sedans still have a place in the luxury market and I am just not a crossover guy. I can probably get a left over or CPO again guess I will have to see when I get to that bridge.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (01-29-2020),Extreme4x4 (02-03-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

I’ll believe it when I see it. An article from CNN recently said that a ford bankruptcy is a forgone conclusion at this point.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    I’ll believe it when I see it. An article from CNN recently said that a ford bankruptcy is a forgone conclusion at this point.
    I just tried looking for this and I don't see an article from CNN about this but I see one from CCN which I am not familiar with
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,487 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    I just tried looking for this and I don't see an article from CNN about this but I see one from CCN which I am not familiar with
    Andrew L is correct, the article is on CCN not CNN: https://www.ccn.com/why-bankruptcy-f...motor-company/

It's a follow-up from the same blogger who wrote the article The Next Recession Can Bankrupt Ford Motor Company
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Andrew L (01-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

I don't understand all the doom and gloom around Ford as if they're going out of business tomorrow, which is far from the case. For that to be the case, they'd have to be worse off than they were in '08, and are they? not at all.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-30-2020),Extreme4x4 (02-03-2020),gkr778 (01-29-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    I don't understand all the doom and gloom around Ford as if they're going out of business tomorrow, which is far from the case. For that to be the case, they'd have to be worse off than they were in '08, and are they? not at all.
    Ford has legitimate issues with its business operations. The company's stock price and its debt rating (the latter which was downgraded to junk status by Moody's in September 2019) reflect that.

But it's illogical to think those issues will necessarily result in Ford declaring bankruptcy within the next year, as the CCN blogger Ayush Singh seems to suggest. Ford's most recent balance sheet and cash flow statement do not indicate the risk of imminent bankruptcy.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Ford has legitimate issues with its business operations. The company's stock price and its debt rating (the latter which was downgraded to junk status by Moody's in September 2019) reflect that.

But it's illogical to think those issues will necessarily result in Ford declaring bankruptcy within the next year, as the CCN blogger Ayush Singh seems to suggest. Ford's most recent balance sheet and cash flow statement do not indicate the risk of imminent bankruptcy.
    The stock is low because Wall Street doesn't like that they can't control the company with the Ford family having separate stock.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-29-2020),Andrew L (01-29-2020),Extreme4x4 (02-03-2020),gkr778 (01-29-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Andrew L is correct, the article is on CCN not CNN: https://www.ccn.com/why-bankruptcy-f...motor-company/

It's a follow-up from the same blogger who wrote the article The Next Recession Can Bankrupt Ford Motor Company
    Thanks for catching that...it was on my news feed and obviously I didn’t notice that it wasn’t cnn. Just assumed which is totally my bad. Never heard of ccn

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (01-29-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

The stock is low because Wall Street doesn't like that they can't control the company with the Ford family having separate stock.
    I think you are right. It seems as though one leads into the other. Ford family's control and Wall Street not liking that they can't be in control to rule the nest, so Moody's follows with their rating because they are also playing in to trying to manipulate the thing with a rating as such as this and well. It may not even be so or warranted because Ford is really doing decent enough, and therefore there are those involved that dismiss the rating. IIRC other Corps. have suffered through the same.

Thanks
    My Ride

Good point rmc523. Ford Motor Company's dual class share structure, where the Ford family is able to attain 40% shareholder voting power with only 4% of total equity in the company, is noteworthy indeed. There are corporate governance challenges associated with a dual class share structure.
    Last edited by gkr778; 01-30-2020 at 11:49 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    Ford is in trouble, not sure bankruptcy level trouble, but they are in deep:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/forge...133801499.html (From Yahoo Financial - today)

"The company’s debt-to-equity ratio is around 4.3, which is almost double of that of its closest rival General Motors GM. The company carries a leverage of more than 80% and a huge proportion of its profits go away to debt holders rather than its shareholders. Although Ford has always emphasized on its commitment toward dividend payment and displays an impressive yield of 6.9%, its stretched balance sheet and dim prospects raise concerns about the sustainability of its payouts."

Even with the purchase of a large portion of Rivian, they're way behind GM in moving to EV's and autonomous vehicles. They're getting left behind.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,334 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

This CCN guy probably has large positions betting that Ford's stock goes down, similar to what we saw the other week with Tesla. This guy is probably trying to spread bad news to enrich himself. Though yes, Ford has some issues and is overly reliant on the F Series, I don't think they are teetering on bankruptcy nor will a normal recession wipe them out. Maybe if we had a recession/depression like we did 10 years ago, but I doubt we will see something of that magnitude for awhile.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (01-30-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Even with the purchase of a large portion of Rivian, they're way behind GM in moving to EV's and autonomous vehicles. They're getting left behind.
    Ford does indeed lack products and services in the EV and AV markets currently (excluding prototypes and test projects), whereas GM has the Chevrolet Bolt (best selling EV in the U.S from a real automaker) and Super Cruise in those respective areas.

However, last year Chevy Bolt comprised less than 1% of GM's total sales, and Super Cruise equipped Cadillacs an even lower number. In the next five years, Ford (with assistance from Rivian) could catch up to GM in the EV and AV markets. Game on!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Ford does indeed lack products and services in the EV and AV markets currently (excluding prototypes and test projects), whereas GM has the Chevrolet Bolt (best selling EV in the U.S from a real automaker) and Super Cruise in those respective areas.

However, last year Chevy Bolt comprised less than 1% of GM's total sales, and Super Cruise equipped Cadillacs an even lower number. In the next five years, Ford (with assistance from Rivian) could catch up to GM in the EV and AV markets. Game on!
    Even lower in number? Are there even production units on the road??

I'm surprised that Ford is doing this but not really either. This is going to be a $100k plus vehicle.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

No doubt, but stocks are valued based on future projections. Everybody is gambling that the public will switch, I have a feeling we won’t have a choice in the matter.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information