GM Inside News Forum banner

Mulally: Time’s right for Lincoln

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Mulally: Time’s right for Lincoln
Detroit News
October 8. 2010
by Alisa Priddle

Detroit -- The time to build a new Lincoln brand is now, Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Alan Mulally said this morning before being honored as the Goodfellow of the Year at a breakfast at Cobo Convention Center.

"It is a fabulous opportunity to take Lincoln flying now," Mulally said.

Ford met with many of its 1,200 Lincoln dealers earlier this week to outline the need to reduce the number of franchises, especially in metro areas where there are about 175 too many. The dealers who remain in business after the Mercury brand is phased out at the end of the year will be expected to invest to upgrade their facilities to offer a luxury experience for Lincoln customers.

"It will be hard, on one hand," Mulally said, referring to phasing out dealers.

But it is necessary, he said: "We need a different distribution going forward."The CEO said dealers are highly motivated to increase their sales volume, and they were pleased by the increased focus that Ford will devote to the brand.

"We will continue to work collaboratively," Mulally said.

Ford’s chief is excited about new vehicles it will soon offer.

The automaker announced it will price the new 2011 Focus from $16,995 to $24,785, setting up direct competition against the new Chevrolet Cruze midsize car.

"We will see how much people value great cars and really want the very best cars and trucks based on quality, safety, fuel efficiency and MyFord and Sync" communications and entertainment systems, Mulally said.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe, but Mulally is ridiculously smart, whereas those who ran the company previously were mentally disabled ostriches.

#7 ·
Well... it's not just product. The product is pretty good right now... it's getting the level of service and customer relationships up to the levels they need to be.

#10 ·
The dealers who remain in business after the Mercury brand is phased out at the end of the year will be expected to invest to upgrade their facilities to offer a luxury experience for Lincoln customers.
This is the most important statement in the article IMO, because it address an issue that goes beyond simply building luxurious cars. Lincoln, as a brand, is saddled with a significantly older dealer infrastructure than Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. and it needs to be addressed if they are to be taken seriously by luxury car buyers.

As far as the vehicles themselves go, Lincoln needs to take a page from Audi's playbook and develop it's own identity rather than trying to copy someone else.

#13 ·
As much as I love the Lincoln brand, love its history, love its styling, and love its features, I'm not going to be buying one in the foreseeable future simply because they refuse to offer a product that fits my needs.

#14 ·
Alternately, if they build the MKC, I'm getting in line immediately. Three across seating in a compact is beyond badass when added with 40+ mpg and the tech level that will be included with MyLincoln. Can't wait to see the production version. What is the news Wescoent? LA or NAIAS?

#17 ·
The massive failure to launch here is -

"It is even a more fabulous opportunity to take Mercury flying now," Mulally failed to mention

#18 ·
...ehh. When you're selling a Focus that hits $30k when fully optioned, when the ST gets here, there is no need for a Mercury. Ford, Ford ST(SHO)(SVT), Lincoln. Done.

I'm not sure how a Mercury version of the Ford Edge could add anything. The Lincoln barely adds anything. How could you justify another brand in between?

I dunno, I'd rather see a Titanium trim level across the board for all Fords than a Mercury label. Serves the same purpose, especially since Ford's mainstream lineup is becoming so Euro-cized.

#20 ·
Getting back to Lincoln, the 2013 model year Lincolns need to go a long way to restoring support and attention for Lincoln (like Buick, but obviously on a higher scale).

If I recall correctly, nothing new is on the books for 2012 Lincolns (sans maybe a 400 hp compliment to the SHO in the MKS EB). The 2013 MKZ, 2013 "small car", 2013 "small CUV" that's rumored, and 2013 facelifted MKS need to be at least as shocking to the media and public as the Enclave, LaCrosse, and Regal have been (hopefully the Verano and "Encore" too).

Lincoln's running out of chances, and they need to start hitting some home runs.

#21 ·
7 new products in 4 years

This year we got an updated MKX

if we look at the list

1. Updated MKX----------------------------->2010
2. Updated MKS (longer wheel base)--------->2011
3. Updated Navigator------------------------>2011
4. New C-Segment Crossover---------------->2011
5. Updated MKZ----------------------------->2012
6. Updated MKT----------------------------->2013
7. ???-------------------------------------->2014?

The years are based on my estimates

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.