Lincoln MKZ Production to end in July

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln MKZ Production to end in July

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Lincoln MKZ Production to end in July

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/li...uly-exclusive/

I was hoping that something might have convinced them to keep a sedan for Lincoln because the luxury market still seems to like sedans some maybe make it all electric if they have to but guess that is probably not going to happen. My Z is at 77k miles now when I get to 100k I will probably look at getting a replacement of some kind I really wanted the 3.0T AWD maybe I can look at a nice CPO one... who knows.

Article says Fusion will end at the same time but I thought it still had one more year left in it.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,333 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Lincoln MKZ Production to end in July

Unlike the CT6, I can't say it's a travesty that it is going. I'm about as fond of the MKZ as I am of the XTS.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Fusion and MKZ are going out of production at the same time and the plant is being retooled for a bunch of new vehicles, including the Bronco Sport, Maverick Pickup, Transit Connect, Transit Connect AV, and the EcoSport replacement.

I am sad to see MKZ go since it's still an awesome looking vehicle with novel features like the 3.0L T and Pano roof. Still the best looking FWD luxury sedan IMO, although the interior didn't age as well.

Lincoln is adding an EV in 2024 but giving up the Continental in 2022. Their Flagship EV with Rivian was cancelled but their Ford-based EV is still on-track. We do get a Navigator refresh in 2022, New Nautilus in 2023, and Lincon's version of Sync 4 connected vehicle architecture which will add hands-free cruise control among other amenities. Naturally some of these timelines may have been pushed up a model year. I think Corsair and Aviator will offset most of those car sales, but I don't see an avenue for sales growth for the foreseeable future (especially since they all co-exist at the moment so the loss of sedans will be more obvious). Aviator sales are obviously way more profitable however.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-20-2020 at 06:05 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-23-2020),BlackGTP (05-20-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,702 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Do they make the twin turbo still?

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,928 Times in 2,544 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    They’ve already made a few Bronco Sports before the plant shut, the construction sequence is the same so maybe not so much tear up and refit.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The 3 engine options for the Z are

1. Hybrid
    2. 2.0T
    3. 3.0T
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (05-21-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,484 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    The 3 engine options for the Z are

1. Hybrid
    2. 2.0T
    3. 3.0T
    #3 uses twin turbo configuration.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Andrew L (05-21-2020),mbukukanyau (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Both the MKZ and Continental got the 3.0T in 2017 and will be the only FWD/AWD vehicles to have it unfortunately. They also made the engine option more expensive on the MKZ starting in 2019 by making it only available in the upper trims. They are also the last vehicles to use the 6AT, they never were updated for the 8-Speed. I was always disappointed the Nautilus didn't get the 3.0T, but I assume they didn't want to fund such a low volume combo (FWD 8AT + 3.0T) for only 3 years.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Fusion and MKZ are going out of production at the same time and the plant is being retooled for a bunch of new vehicles, including the Bronco Sport, Maverick Pickup, Transit Connect, Transit Connect AV, and the EcoSport replacement.

I am sad to see MKZ go since it's still an awesome looking vehicle with novel features like the 3.0L T and Pano roof. Still the best looking FWD luxury sedan IMO, although the interior didn't age as well.

Lincoln is adding an EV in 2024 but giving up the Continental in 2022. Their Flagship EV with Rivian was cancelled but their Ford-based EV is still on-track. We do get a Navigator refresh in 2022, New Nautilus in 2023, and Lincon's version of Sync 4 connected vehicle architecture which will add hands-free cruise control among other amenities. Naturally some of these timelines may have been pushed up a model year. I think Corsair and Aviator will offset most of those car sales, but I don't see an avenue for sales growth for the foreseeable future (especially since they all co-exist at the moment so the loss of sedans will be more obvious). Aviator sales are obviously way more profitable however.
    Dang...the Nautilus is going to soldier on until MY2023? That's a long time. You'd think that segment would get a higher priority.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

That's Model Year 2023. It's effectively two years from hitting the dealership.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Both the MKZ and Continental got the 3.0T in 2017 and will be the only FWD/AWD vehicles to have it unfortunately. They also made the engine option more expensive on the MKZ starting in 2019 by making it only available in the upper trims. They are also the last vehicles to use the 6AT, they never were updated for the 8-Speed. I was always disappointed the Nautilus didn't get the 3.0T, but I assume they didn't want to fund such a low volume combo (FWD 8AT + 3.0T) for only 3 years.
    I believe that a big part of the problem at Ford is it's perpetual lateness to valuable segments and niches,
    by the time Ford delivers products, its ability to capture and keep buyers is diminished by competitors
    already locking up many of those potential buyers which in turn convinces Ford to give up more quickly.
    It's a viscous cycle set in motion by playing so defensively, that level of risk averse planning is killing them.

It was almost like Ford and Lincoln felt obliged to keep offering a TTV6 in mid-sized and large sedans but with
    with higher premiums on the TTV6s, it was inevitable that any sales interest would eventually evaporate.
    Ford basically contours a self fulfilling proficy, high price = customers don't buy = no demand = end model.
    Until Ford breaks away from this circular logic, they are doomed to repeat the mistake over and over.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-22-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I think Ford has done a good job prioritizing important moneymakers and showing up successfully when they need to. What I think Detroit struggles with in particular is sticking to anything that isn't a perennial property, they have a bad habit of investing and then dropping new segments. But Detroit also does a better job innovating and coming up with successful new ideas. Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick Pickup, Mach E, are all pretty good examples of Ford coming up with new segments instead of just fitting in.

Lincoln is another story and I get a sense that it may be falling victim to de-prioritization once again. Mark Fields made Lincoln a tent-pole, but Hackett barely acknowledges them. Lincoln hasn't gotten a new 4-Year Plan now that it's concluded the last one, and now they are in maintenance mode. Presumably electrification will eventually play a big roll in transforming Lincoln so hopefully we'll see that next phase by 2023.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-23-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    In the last two quarters reported, Ford's north American vehicle operations has collapsed financially
    right when it needed good profits, they coughed and spluttered going into the covid shutdown and
    that is not a good sign of underlying health. I don't understand why it crashed and burned so badly,
    was that entirely due to Explorer's bad launch or is it generally "bad timing" on several products?
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-23-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 647 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    In the last two quarters reported, Ford's north American vehicle operations has collapsed financially
    right when it needed good profits, they coughed and spluttered going into the covid shutdown and
    that is not a good sign of underlying health. I don't understand why it crashed and burned so badly,
    was that entirely due to Explorer's bad launch or is it generally "bad timing" on several products?
    Being optimistic, they're transitioning away from regular cars to the glorious future of crossovers and trucks. Meanwhile the F150 prints money.

Pessimistically, they lose a generation of car buyers as 1000s of former Ford customers buy Hyundai, Honda, etc. instead of whatever hideous crossover Ford is pushing. Meanwhile the F150 prints money.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-03-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I believe that a big part of the problem at Ford is it's perpetual lateness to valuable segments and niches,
    by the time Ford delivers products, its ability to capture and keep buyers is diminished by competitors
    already locking up many of those potential buyers which in turn convinces Ford to give up more quickly.
    It's a viscous cycle set in motion by playing so defensively, that level of risk averse planning is killing them.

It was almost like Ford and Lincoln felt obliged to keep offering a TTV6 in mid-sized and large sedans but with
    with higher premiums on the TTV6s, it was inevitable that any sales interest would eventually evaporate.
    Ford basically contours a self fulfilling proficy, high price = customers don't buy = no demand = end model.
    Until Ford breaks away from this circular logic, they are doomed to repeat the mistake over and over.
    Perpetual as in the Falcon, Mustang, Taurus and Explorer didn't create a new segment leaving others to play catch up? Tell me all the other segments where other manufacturers created a new segment leaving Ford so far behind. Could it be the not a real full size and too small to be a compact T100? Ford had a FWD compact car before Toyota.

Every manufacturer has late to the party products and some ground breaking new segments.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information