Lincoln Aviator Preview at the Miami Auto Show (and other show comments)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lincoln Aviator Preview at the Miami Auto Show (and other show comments)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Lincoln Aviator Preview at the Miami Auto Show (and other show comments)

I was going to post this in the auto show section, but I can't.

So over the weekend, I was able to go to the Miami Auto show with some friends and family. It's the first time in 2 years that they've had the show, because last year's was cancelled just days before it was to start due to Hurricane Irma. I didn't get any pictures of it, but it was also one of the first events with the renovated convention center opened -- they left only the open event space and tore down the entire facade/lobby areas on both sides of the building and then rebuilt it all. I'll also point out that it was the last day of the show, so it's likely that traffic was busier last weekend.

As the title said, the Aviator Preview was there. Before I get into it specifically, I'll comment about Lincoln's location/setup. I wish I had taken more pictures of the setup to better explain, but this floorplan graphic will have to do:

The way we went about the show was to come in by the Ford display and go clockwise around the space, generally staying in the outer-most pathway, and wandering in and out depending on the display. So with that said, we came into the Lincoln display from the left side on that graphic (from VW/Explorer vans area). In that gap between the Explorer vans and Lincoln, there are some columns. I think there was a wall toward the rear side of the display area as well. I did not like how they arranged their display. They had the new Nautilus front and center, encircled within what I'll call the "Lincoln lounge" - an area with a few seats within a set of round "walls" (which were just the punched out Lincoln star "fencing". They had the 2019 MKC out on the corner (the Infiniti/Land Rover corner), and a Continental and MKZ were behind it, stretching toward that "additional manufacturers" area. 2 Navigators (including a Destination BL model) were on the opposite side on the Explorer Vans side.

The Aviator Preview - perhaps the most important model they could show - was placed in the back of the display on a turntable with a "Black Label" sign and video board behind it. I understand the idea - you pull people into the display by putting the "big thing" at the back, and luckily people did see it, and were walking back to the display (this wasn't the case for all displays there - some brands did this, and it was a ghost town, with just the presenter there with the car), but the way they had it set up, at least with the direction we came from, I didn't know the Aviator was there until I got right in front of the booth. From a distance I looked at the Lincoln display and got really disappointed that it wouldn't be there, only to see it was in fact there. I didn't mind the "lounge" part of the display, even though it was see through, I just felt it kind of blocked the view/attention of the Aviator. I'm doing my best to describe without pictures, sorry!

Anyway....the car....

I realize it was the "preview" and it will look a bit better than the final production model, but this car looked fantastic. I absolutely loved it. It was clean and athletic. Simply designed and elegant. It definitely has a Range Rover vibe to it, which is a great thing (my mom kept comparing it to the Range Rover Sport across the aisle. I will say, the back was almost a bit too clean, but that'll likely change in production with more production-oriented pieces. It'll also be interesting to see how it looks in base trims. I wonder if it'll look too plain. But in Black Label trim, it looks awesome. My mom has been interested in it, and wants it to be out already.....I'm looking forward to more details when it's unveiled - especially power figures. They had a Range Rover Sport SVR there with 575-hp for $113,000. I'm guessing Aviator will have at least 500 (400 from the 3.0 + 100 electric?) for significantly less. Reception from other people seemed good too....I think they have a hit on their hands, finally one they've needed.

As for the rest of the show, here area a few thoughts:

-The Ford display was pathetic because of the lack of product. You walk through and it's like - oh look, the same stuff as the last three years. I usually spend a lot of time in the Ford display, but aside from Ranger, we just walked through - there was nothing to see. Their 'big display' was a Raptor. They had a Ranger XLT supercab there, behind a barrier. Still can't get in it. They didn't even have pricing info on the stand. They should've had a loaded model there. An even more glaring omission - the 2019 Edge in any trim. This is like the one new vehicle they have for this year, and they didn't have a single one - not even behind a barrier. They had 2 or 3 2018 Edges.

-The new A8L was awesome inside - extremely comfortable seats. The Q8, while I'm not big on it's exterior design, had a nice interior....and it doesn't have a D-pillar - just a C-pillar - there's no pillar before the 3rd window, it's just glass.

-Silvererra - I wanted to like the front of the new Sierra, but something just seemed off about it. Also got to play with the trick tailgate of the Sierra - it definitely has some useful functions, and I'll give them credit for coming up with something new, but it was a LOT of moving parts. Seemed like a dirt haven to me. The Silverado....eek the corner fins on the front end look just as odd in person as photos. The power up/down tailgate was neat, though gimmicky. The interior of both - major disappointment. It barely looks like they changed it from the last one, and that one wasn't good looking either. Materials didn't seem all that good either (these were High Country and Denali models).

-Blazer - I actually thought it looked a lot better in person than pictures, especially the headlight arrangement - they darkened them enough so they don't look obnoxious.....still don't like that split look with the headlights down low, but this is one of the best implementations I've seen. The back is another story. That bumper panel is just horrible. This was an LTZ model, so it was body color (lower trims, that cutout is black plastic), but the way it fits (intentionally), it looks like the pieces don't fit together properly.....there's a recess, but it's not enough of one to look like it's on purpose.

The vehicle also seemed low too.

-Camaro SS - the regular version refresh doesn't look bad, but the SS.....ugh it looks horrible. My buddy and several other people said why is the badge there?

-XT4 - I actually preferred the clear taillights to the red ones. The interior had some cheap parts, but overall was nice. It looks better in person than in pictures. I think it'll sell well.

-CT6 - They had the refreshed CT6 there - I didn't sit in it, but from the outside it looked nice.

Overall, it was a nice show - I always enjoy seeing the new models. Some brands (BMW, Mercedes) were missing, and they didn't have the high-end section this year (they usually have a section of Bugatti, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini), but you can't sit in them anyway, and they're all over the roads, so I didn't miss that much. I look forward to next year (and the smaller Fort Lauderdale show in April after the major ones) when Ford has some product to actually show.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-15-2018),DequindreToo (10-20-2018),Murrow (10-15-2018),rockyspaw (10-15-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Re: Lincoln Aviator Preview at the Miami Auto Show (and other show comments)

Nitpicking, but why isn't there more of a family resemblance with the larger Navigator when it comes to the rear end? The Navigator has a thin light bar connecting the tail lights along their lower edge, while the Aviator connects the tail lights along their upper edge.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

The Navigator does look luxurious and elegant. I think it is about the best application of their new design language yet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (10-15-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,657 Times in 3,704 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    My opinion of the Navigator looks better in pictures than in person

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (10-16-2018),megeebee (10-16-2018)

Thanks

It's a shame what has happened with the auto shows with relatively mainstream brands choosing to sit out. I get that big, elaborate displays are expensive, but I just can't fathom it being all that expensive to just pay your local dealers to send a few cars over there for a few days. Heck, they don't need any fancy displays, as far as I'm concerned -- just display the cars.

I grew up in Miami and went to that auto show every year -- and sometimes more than once. I have not been to the show since I moved 11 years ago. It used to be a good, tier 2 auto show. At least the show still spans two weekends.

The Atlanta show that I now regularly attend is down to being almost a shadow of its former self. This year, there were so many missing manufacturers that the show managed to include a MASSIVE RV display. At least the Miami show still has Porsche, Land Rover, Jaguar and Cadillac. Yes -- even Cadillac did not show up to this year's Atlanta auto show.

Thanks for all the pics.
    Last edited by Murrow; 10-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    The Navigator does look luxurious and elegant. I think it is about the best application of their new design language yet.
    The Aviator looks amazing in photos, I'm hoping it'll look just as good in person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post
    Nitpicking, but why isn't there more of a family resemblance with the larger Navigator when it comes to the rear end? The Navigator has a thin light bar connecting the tail lights along their lower edge, while the Aviator connects the tail lights along their upper edge.
    That's a fair point. Nautilus (though just a refreshed MKX) has a similar setup to Navigator with the strip on the bottom. It'll be interesting to see which setup Corsair uses. The Aviator's setup looks perhaps more athletic. I would also say it's nice that they switch it up somewhat, instead of the direct copy paste, though I know they're doing that on the front for the most part (though Aviator's front is the most different from the other models too).

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    It's a shame what has happened with the auto shows with relatively mainstream brands choosing to sit out. I get that big, elaborate displays are expensive, but I just can't fathom it being all that expensive to just pay your local dealers to send a few cars over there for a few days. Heck, they don't need any fancy displays, as far as I'm concerned -- just display the cars.

I grew up in Miami and went to that auto show every year -- and sometimes more than once. I have not been to the show since I moved 11 years ago. It used to be a good, tier 2 auto show. At least the show still spans two weekends.

The Atlanta show that I now regularly attend is down to being almost a shadow of its former self. This year, there were so many missing manufacturers that the show managed to include a MASSIVE RV display. At least the Miami show still has Porsche, Land Rover, Jaguar and Cadillac. Yes -- even Cadillac did not show up to this year's Atlanta auto show.

Thanks for all the pics.
    I agree completely - It was disappointing to get there and realize BMW and Mercedes weren't there.....but Mitsubishi was the big one I was missing! (haha).

I'm with you, though - the big fancy displays are cool to look at, but I'm perfectly content to just see the cars - that's what I'm there for, after all. Put a pedestal/wall and desk with the logo on it and call it a day.

Yes, thankfully most of the brands were there.

You know, I forgot to comment on the i-pace.

----

I'm still not a fan of the i-Pace. It's an odd design, IMO, but perhaps looks better in person. The model I sat in had a cloth interior.....it was a nice cloth, but still just seemed cheap. I didn't get to see the sticker for it.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    My opinion of the Navigator looks better in pictures than in person
    I’m in 100% agreement. I thought it was just me.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (10-16-2018)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Weird, I'm not a fan of the styling of the new Navigator, but I definitely feel like it looks better in person than in pictures. For example to me eye the grille felt less exaggerated in the flesh, while in pictures it is just so ridiculously huge and overbearing.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post
    I'd like to see Ford do something with Lincoln tail lights other than run a red strip of plastic between them to cover up their Ford origins.

That styling has been used so much in other cars it's becoming a cliche. What Ford did with Mercury. Buick beat to death.

The tail of a new Lincoln should be as distinctive a styling statement as the front. Yet it doesn't happen. Every time.

And the console is ridiculous.

Applying the Mercury philosophy to Lincoln is just repeating past mistakes. See: Mountaineer, Milan, Lynx, Tracer, Marquis.

Just adding cheap flash to a Ford is not going to create credibility for Lincoln in the luxury market.

I'm sorry. This is just an on the cheap way to squeeze more $$$ out of the gullible for me.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    I'd like to see Ford do something with Lincoln tail lights other than run a red strip of plastic between them to cover up their Ford origins.

That styling has been used so much in other cars it's becoming a cliche. What Ford did with Mercury. Buick beat to death.

The tail of a new Lincoln should be as distinctive a styling statement as the front. Yet it doesn't happen. Every time.

And the console is ridiculous.

Applying the Mercury philosophy to Lincoln is just repeating past mistakes. See: Mountaineer, Milan, Lynx, Tracer, Marquis.

Just adding cheap flash to a Ford is not going to create credibility for Lincoln in the luxury market.

I'm sorry. This is just an on the cheap way to squeeze more $$$ out of the gullible for me.
    I get it, but then again I don't. I say that because Mercury hasn't had any vehicles that were this distinct from their Ford brethren since the 1960's, and even then it wasn't a lineup-wide distinction (it was close at times). The new Aviator is to the Ford Explorer roughly what the Lincoln Continental was to Ford Thunderbird in the early 60's as best as I can tell. Not quite that level of distinctiveness exists between the two, but it is close. And that was about as good as it ever got for Lincoln in terms of product post WW2, and some will even argue that the early 60's Continental was the best luxury car in the world when it debuted.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information