GM Inside News Forum banner

If I along with a few of you controlled Ford.....

764 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cabana Boy 
#1 ·
If I along with a few of you here controlled Ford, this is what must be done to turn them around:

Badge-engineering - every automaker has done it, and sure enough the trend has gotten to the point where the general public has caught on. We all realize that a Lincoln Navigator is a dolled-up Ford Expedition, a Cadillac Escalade is a dolled-up Chevy Suburban, and the previous-generation Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring are all one in the same. What Ford should do is stop the badge-engineering in its entirety!!!! GM has already begun designing their cars so each line is different from one another, such as Chevrolet having conservative body styles differing from the more streamline aerodynamic sportier style that Pontiac would have or the hard-edged angular body of a Cadillac. Same goes for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep with case in point being the Charger vs. Magnum/300 where they absolutely do not share sheetmetal.

With that being said Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury have not learned from this (look at all their product line). Each line should have their own style to distinguish them from one another and to attract a certain consumer demographic, such that Ford caters to the younger consumers and Mercury caters to the middle-aged and up (such as consumers who buy Buick today). As for Lincoln try to come up with better designs and compete with the likes of Cadillac/Saab, I haven't seen a major change with Lincoln in years with the exception of the Lincoln-badged MKX.

Also with the current products offered by Ford I'd say eliminate cars that internally compete with one another, such as the Ford Crown Victoria and the Ford Five Hundred because they are near similar size, in this case I'm leaning towards the Ford Five Hundred due to its bland styling. Also get rid of the Freestyle because that competes directly with the Explorer and Edge. Renaming the Five Hundred and Freestyle "Taurus" and "Taurus X" won't sell cars.

Anyways offer your insights here, I'd say the only way Ford as with any company can increase their profit (without increasing revenues) is to obviously cut costs, in this case cut unneccessary product. And for them to profit greatly as an automaker is to design distinguishable product.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Are Chevy and Pontiac built on the same line as Ford and Mercury?
I think they are different factories with different tooling - hence the difference.

Coming down the same line, it is difficult or costly to change them too much. Are you willing to pay a huge premium to have different sheet metal, because Ford would pass that extra cost right back to the consumer.

#3 ·
AZN_MOPAR_fan said:
Also with the current products offered by Ford I'd say eliminate cars that internally compete with one another, such as the Ford Crown Victoria and the Ford Five Hundred because they are near similar size, in this case I'm leaning towards the Ford Five Hundred due to its bland styling.
How is the Crown Victoria any more exciting looking? They're both attractively brand.
Instead of dropping one, they should be combining them into one, ultimate Ford full-size sedan.

Also get rid of the Freestyle because that competes directly with the Explorer and Edge. Renaming the Five Hundred and Freestyle "Taurus" and "Taurus X" won't sell cars.
The Edge is more than a foot shorter. The Freestyle/Taurus X is a crossover. The Explorer doesn't appeal to everyone, and neither does the Freestyler--they balance each other out. The Freestyle is longer than the Explorer, too, and has a bit more space behind the 3rd row.
Plus, without a minivan, the Freestyle serves as Ford's people hauler.

#4 ·
AZN_MOPAR_fan said:
If I along with a few of you here controlled Ford, this is what must be done to turn them around:

Badge-engineering - every automaker has done it, and sure enough the trend has gotten to the point where the general public has caught on. We all realize that a Lincoln Navigator is a dolled-up Ford Expedition, a Cadillac Escalade is a dolled-up Chevy Suburban, and the previous-generation Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring are all one in the same. What Ford should do is stop the badge-engineering in its entirety!!!! GM has already begun designing their cars so each line is different from one another, such as Chevrolet having conservative body styles differing from the more streamline aerodynamic sportier style that Pontiac would have or the hard-edged angular body of a Cadillac. Same goes for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep with case in point being the Charger vs. Magnum/300 where they absolutely do not share sheetmetal.

With that being said Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury have not learned from this (look at all their product line). Each line should have their own style to distinguish them from one another and to attract a certain consumer demographic, such that Ford caters to the younger consumers and Mercury caters to the middle-aged and up (such as consumers who buy Buick today). As for Lincoln try to come up with better designs and compete with the likes of Cadillac/Saab, I haven't seen a major change with Lincoln in years with the exception of the Lincoln-badged MKX.

Also with the current products offered by Ford I'd say eliminate cars that internally compete with one another, such as the Ford Crown Victoria and the Ford Five Hundred because they are near similar size, in this case I'm leaning towards the Ford Five Hundred due to its bland styling. Also get rid of the Freestyle because that competes directly with the Explorer and Edge. Renaming the Five Hundred and Freestyle "Taurus" and "Taurus X" won't sell cars.

Anyways offer your insights here, I'd say the only way Ford as with any company can increase their profit (without increasing revenues) is to obviously cut costs, in this case cut unneccessary product. And for them to profit greatly as an automaker is to design distinguishable product.
The problem with Ford "Badge engineering" is that it is so OBVIOUS, yes GM minivans are like this but even the GMT 800 and 900 have more distinct looks than the Five Hundred/Montego, Fusion/Milan, Escape/Mariner etc.

It is too bad because both the Five Hundred/Montego (sorry Taurus/Sable) and the others mentioned are nice vehicles and (Ford brands) sell well. At one time Ford and Mercury models used different fenders. grilles, dash boards etc. (ironically when the Montego was last offered in the late 60' early 70's).

I like the Milan even as it is but it would sell better if there were more differences, how about an exclusive engine?

Now I see every Ford is going to have a "Fusion" front end.

This is the other overdone Ford tactic.

Yes the Fusion looks good and is selling, but every other vehicle you make does not need to copy it's styling. This makes the copycat badge engineering problem worse since even a good design gets overdone quickly.

Sometimes keeping great styling limited to one model works best - sure has worked for the Mustang.

#5 ·
Yeah, rebadging VS "distinguishable products" (good phrase, AZN_MOPAR_fan)

They've got a long way to go tho they've started... yet baby steps aren't enough considering their product line is sooo inconsistent
- invisibly-improved every 5~ years for the CV vs the major makeover of the nearly new 500>>Taurus
- Ranger vs constantly improved F150 (new again next year!)
- happily the nextgen Focus/euroFocus and Fusion/Mondeo will end the transPond envy with globalized architectures.

I'm not gonna try to recap all the rants I've blogged but maybe a few gripes/suggestions -

- Are any of FMC's plants truly 'flex'? Building Taurii & Sabletegos together does NOT count. Will they be able to cross-build Taurii, Fusions, Edges, v.f.k.a.Fairlanes on the same assembly line when they share the son-of-EUCD platform? Even if they do, not sure that's flexible enough. How about Focii & F150's? the MkPeopleMover & a B-car? so if one segment declines the plant just shifts gear without having to be rebuilt. Now that'd be Flex!

- IF they really are gonna make the MkS for Lincoln, why/what's taking so long? The Chicago plant has been churning out D3's since 2004. Are they gonna wait for the EUCD2? Or build it on the current platform for 2-3 years & hafta design it all over again?

- Not enough differences between platform-mates; ex: Edge & MkX - WHY couldn't the MkX have unique C-pillars? (main diff from the concept imho) - Taurus & Sable would benefit from unique C-pillars TOO!!
&
WHY, since the whole front end of the Sable is different from the Taurus, whyOHwhy doesn't it look more different? Anybody realize they don't even share hoods?
&
WHY since they decided to paste Milan's face on it (good idea), why did they design new headlites that have to almost be measured to tell them apart from the Milan's?

- OK, so they can't afford to have totally unique bodies; can't just the sheetmetal on the outside of doors be different too? Tho I like the Iosis/Mondeo/XC60 side 'strakes', they're gonna make it even harder for a 'grille-job' to make Fusion/Milan/MkZep look like anything but carboncopies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZN_MOPAR_fan
Also with the current products offered by Ford I'd say eliminate cars that internally compete with one another, such as the Ford Crown Victoria and the Ford Five Hundred because they are near similar size...
cdp326 said:
...The Edge is more than a foot shorter (than the) The Freestyle/Taurus X...
and the Taurus is within .7 of an INCH of being a FOOT shorter than the shortest CV...

By looking at the sales numbers, it's obvious that every platform has to be a Ford cuz only they have the volume to support production
BUT
I completely agree that Mercury & Lincoln can have non-competing lineups by picking and choosing from the plethora of models Ford HAS to have.

When it looked like the TC was being abandonned I thought that Mercury might have an exclusive on the Panther chassis - maybe even multiple models by taking advatage of some of the 4 (FOUR) different wheelbase it uses (from 114.7" all the way to 123.7"). Chopping off some un-needed overhang could go all the way from the full-boat limo size to a 300-sized sportish model.

IF the Interceptor & MKR mean anything re: Ford & Lincoln reclaiming Rwd, maybe Mercury could specialize in Awd. Ford could do Fwd(Awd opt.) and Rwd, Lincoln mainly Rwd like 'other luxury brands'.

I just hope they've really stopped doing most everything in threes.

#6 ·
Replying quickly to 2b2 - I wouldn't exclude the possibility that those ARE actually Milan's headlights! Fiat has done that with Fiat Idea/Multipla and Lancia Ypsilon/Musa - they actually do share headlights, which are nicely composed into their respective fascias providing for a more uniform, "corporate look" for each brand. That said, the idea of grafting the Milan front end on a vehicle that has been designed in a totally different way is lunatic to me, and the results, just like the whole D3 rebadging programme, quite pathetic...

Now, I really can't say what I would do now, Ford seems more lost then ever, and I don't know what's cooking exactly, so at the moment I'd wait and see for more Mullaly/Fields brainchildren than just the 500tegorestyleableaurus, BUT I know what I would have certainly done, and what should have been done, if we could press rewind and be back in the late 1990s...

1. The second-gen Mondeo is also made a global car programme and the Mondeo (on the inside, wheelbase etc. just as large as the Taurus) replaces both the Contour the Taurus, both sedan and wagon, as Ford's family car in North America, giving FoMoCo a competitive product to go against Camry, Accord, Altima and the lot back in 2001 when Ford's chances in that important class were not entirely lost. Development bucks are saved, as the car was developed anyway, and perhaps could have had more character (concerning the outside looks) given the Contour vs. Euro Mondeo.

2. The AU/BA Falcon (EA169) becomes a global programme, developed in conjunction with DEW98 (the EA169 becomes the cheaper variant of the DEW). The resulting Falcon becomes Ford's fullsize entry, foreshadowing the LX cars from Chrysler or the Zetas by almost a decade, and giving Australia a truly modern car rather than an effort hampered by rampant cost-cutting. The Fairlane (LWB version) might replace CrownVic as the fleet special. The new Mustang also shares that platform.

3. Jaguar and Lincoln cooperate closely, with Jaguar making the more sports-oriented, and Lincoln the more luxury-oriented models, distinctively different due to Jag's traditional British and Lincoln's American styling, with Lincoln obviously becoming the global brand. The Town Car is replaced by an exquisite Continental, based on Jag's aluminium platform, that comes as a sedan, stretched limo (Town Car), coupe (Mark IX) and perhaps even a foldin-hardtop four-suicide-door convertible. Lincoln uses styling cues as previewed in the Aviator and Mark IX concepts, with the unmistakeable eggcrate grille.

Fairlane-based Grand Marquis could replace the TC in the fleet/livery market. Also, if the DEW98 was integrated with the XJ programme too, the shorter version of the Continental sedan could actually be what became the LS, or the other way around. Of course, no LS name puhleeze.

I am not sure about the X-Type and Zephyr here - first of all, the X-Type would have to be more refined before let to the market, secondly, this class could be take care of by Volvo and Mercury. To be discussed.

4. Fiesta becomes sold in North America, making Ford a leader in yet another developing market. The Ecosport and Euro Fusion programmes are integrated, perhaps resulting in vehicles available in more and less "off-road" versions, while Mazda takes care of the classic "mini MPV" market like it actually did. A good name for the Fiesta-based mini-crossover-SUV would actually be Edge.

5. Galaxy becomes a global minivan programme - the new Galaxy (based on Mondeo) grows bigger than its predecessor, becoming essentially what is now the Freestyle, offering comfortable seating for 7 and ample room but keeping its car-like profile. The "G" becomes the third letter in Ford's American lineup name code, for various minivans (if any other come up), or a good name would actually be "Fusion".

6. Focus is obviously developed globally, so no excuses for the C1 replacing the C170 in the US too - how can developing two cars be cheaper than one? The catch-all-platform thing could perhaps be done earlier (I am talking C1/C2-EUCD-Volvo D2 etc., all Ford's FWD cars larger than subcompact, sedans, wagons, coupes, vans, crossovers, are essentially off one platform).

7. Mazda's developments in the engine department are put to better use - the Miller Cycle engine development is continued and it is used more widely (hybrid?), and how about a Wankel hybrid (with the Renesis working in turbine rather than parallel mode, eliminating the problems marring Wankels that have to function in stop-and-go rev-up-rev-down cycles)?

I have more ideas but I guess that's enough for now...

#7 ·
2b2 said:
and the Taurus is within .7 of an INCH of being a FOOT shorter than the shortest CV...
Good point...but at the full size class, it's all just large. The Five Hundred/Taurus is already among the larger large cars. The difference is felt more in SUVs and crossovers. Getting rid of the Freestyle/Taurus X and making the Edge (and Escape) the only crossover is a terrible idea. You can stick a 3rd row of seats in the Edge, but it won't touch the Freestyle/Taurus X--that foot of length translates to legroom for the 3rd row and rear cargo area space.

#8 ·
I see long wish lists all the time for Ford and Lincoln in these forums, but here is what I think a smart bet would win you:

-After the MKS and their people mover arrives, the only thing missing from Lincoln is the MKR. We already know the TC upgrade is coming, so a RWD performance coupe would complete their showroom. I see no need for any further redundancy.

-Ford's showroom will look nearly complete in about a year with the new Taurus, new F-150, new Focus, performance Fusion and Edge (hopefully), freshened Mustang, and that Peoplemover thingie - and all that would be needed then is an Iterceptor-like RWD sedan.

Keep Australia's cars where they are, I don't like any of them. Too 1990's for my taste. We already know the Fiesta platform is coming with 3 B-segment variations as well. Sure the Mondeo would be nice when it finally arrives in the fall, but by then I bet we will hear about exciting variations to the Fusion, which I would prefer as well - especially considering the cost of a Mondeo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.