GT350R ??? It is only hype ??

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GT350R ??? It is only hype ??

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

GT350R ??? It is only hype ??

The resident "girl"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Re: GT350R ??? It is only hype ??

And to quote:

AROUND NCM MOTORSPORTS PARK, the Ford Shelby GT350R feels very nearly as special as the Viper ACR. It has the same single-minded focus on high-speed balance and usable performance, and if it sometimes feels a bit like a taxicab compared with the Viper, it makes up for that with a simply magical V-8 that brings the caviar thrills of 8250-rpm performance to a beer-and-burgers demographic. If you could summon some sort of Lovecraftian dark magic to combine the best parts of the other seven cars in this test—the Bentley's on-road poise, the Cadillac's vivacious chassis, the Merc's bluff-nosed retro charm, the Cayman's accessible limits, the Ferrari's auditory drama, the Corvette's wide-hipped machismo, and the Viper's sense of purpose—then what would appear in the swirling mists would be, not Cthulhu the Great Old One, but Shelby the Baddest Mustang. Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year.
    Sorry, but I got warm tinglies reading that.
    The resident "girl"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

2b2 (11-11-2015),paul8488 (11-10-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Who said it was just hype?? It better deliver! It has a TON of development dollars wrapped up in it.

And for the record, the 350 is pretty cool. The sound is great and its a serious track car.

The problem is FINDING them.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

This is why performance cars need to be tested to be evaluated. Counting cupholders and seating space and MPG for a minivan is fine and dandy, but it sounds like the GT350R needs to be driven to be truly appreciated.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

The cornering speeds of the Viper ACR and Z06 are insane!

What's with the thread title???
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

When dyno and different day different driver specs have been thrown about, there have been some who have questioned if the GT350 was just hype.

This is why the title.

If you don't like it, change it. Maybe the powers that be will make one of those spiffy threads in the Suggested section, with a more official title.
    The resident "girl"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 555 Posts

The hype is that it murders the gen 5 z/28. That remains to be seen. According to one of the mags dynos, it makes the same HP and less torque than the ls7. But that is only one piece of the puzzle.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 3,703 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    The hype is that it murders the gen 5 z/28. That remains to be seen. According to one of the mags dynos, it makes the same HP and less torque than the ls7. But that is only one piece of the puzzle.
    Chevrolets simply punch waaaaay above their weights, for at least a decade now, when it comes to laying down a lap, No one does it like Chevrolet. No one.

Imagine if you put that diffuser and a wing like that on the Z-06, like the one on the Viper, its would practically run well above race cars.

The Z06 beats the Ferrari 488 GTB by close to a full second, that's simply insane.

Then Ford takes a $25,000.00 pony car and takes down the AMG GT, German performance is dead.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 11-10-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

It's tough to evaluate a car you haven't seen or driven. They have, so their opinion counts, for one opinion. Head to head competition with the Z28 is in order

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 3,322 Posts

Everything I've read on the GT350R has the reviewers raving about it. It's fast, but not the fastest. But it must have something that had R&T pick it as the winner in that piece. I said this in the other thread which had the R&T link. I'm old enough to know that I'm looking for in a car's driving experience, which is not necessarily squeezing every last tenth out of it. I know it when I feel it. Call it soul, call it whatever. There are truckloads of fast cars you can buy today - few that connect with me. The GT350R basically performed mid-pack in the above test. And yet was chosen the winner. It must have that certain something...
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

0fxxk0 (11-11-2015),Cphelps (11-11-2015),Extreme4x4 (11-11-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 3,703 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Everything I've read on the GT350R has the reviewers raving about it. It's fast, but not the fastest. But it must have something that had R&T pick it as the winner in that piece. I said this in the other thread which had the R&T link. I'm old enough to know that I'm looking for in a car's driving experience, which is not necessarily squeezing every last tenth out of it. I know it when I feel it. Call it soul, call it whatever. There are truckloads of fast cars you can buy today - few that connect with me. The GT350R basically performed mid-pack in the above test. And yet was chosen the winner. It must have that certain something...
    But then there is that winning feeling on a track, or in anything else, walking out of a business dev meeting with your first big purchase order.. etc.. there is that feeling that cannot be replaced by anything else...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

This thread stinks of fanboiism. Questioning a belief nobody here has claimed to try to elevate a car that in every pound-for-pound metric is outclassed by its most direct competitor.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (11-11-2015),RamJet502 (11-12-2015)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 3,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    But then there is that winning feeling on a track, or in anything else, walking out of a business dev meeting with your first big purchase order.. etc.. there is that feeling that cannot be replaced by anything else...

If that's how you want to keep score, then that's beautiful...

Fast is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not the only thing. If it were, the Ferrari, Viper, AMG or Z06 would have won.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

0fxxk0 (11-11-2015),Extreme4x4 (11-11-2015)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Are you describing the BRZ, or a variant of the Mustang?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,333 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Not a Ford fan, but sounds like they did their homework and came out with the right product. Good for them.

What amazes me is the capabilities of the Americans. Not to long ago a competition like this would've been mopped up by the expensive Europeans with a long list of complaints about the Americans interiors, squeaks, rattles, blah, blah, blah. What really interests me is how long will the Europeans be able to get away with their exotic car prices when low-brow cars like the Mustang, Camaro or Vette can keep up with or exceed their capabilities, and comments like "but the exotic Europeans have rich Corinthian leather and a bigger back seat" don't do much for me to justify their $100,000+ higher price.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information