Ford Product Range by 2024

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Product Range by 2024

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Ford Product Range by 2024

I've cobbled together what the Ford showroom will look like by 2024 with some notes for some of the new models

Mustang (2023)

Pickup Trucks:
    Maverick (2022 1.5L I3, 2.0L EB, 2.5L Hybrid)
    Ranger (2024 2.3, 2.7L, + Hybrid)
    F-150 (2021, 3.5L EcoBoost Hybrid)
    Super Duty (2022)

SUVs:
    Maverick-Based Crossover (2023)
    Escape
    Edge (2023)
    Explorer
    Expedition (Update in 2022)

Bronco Sport (2021, 1.5L I3, 2.0L EB, AWD standard)
    Bronco (2021, 2.3L I4 with opt. 7-Speed Manual, 2.7L V6)

Vans:
    Transit
    Transit Connect
    Autonomous Vehicle based on NG Transit Connect

Hybrids
    Escape +PHEV
    Edge
    Explorer
    Maverick Truck
    Maverick Crossover
    F-150
    Ranger
    Transit Connect
    Mustang V8 Hybrid

BEV
    F-150
    Mach E
    Transit
    Midsize Crossover Shared with Lincoln (2024)

Lincoln:
    Corsair +PHEV
    Nautilus (2023)
    Aviator +PHEV
    Navigator (2022 MCA)
    Midsize BEV Crossover (2024)

Notes:
    EcoSport will be redesigned for other markets but replaced by the Maverick Pickup and a companion Crossover in the US (Both vehicles to start at or below $20K)
    A new Global Ranger will debut 2 years before the NA-Spec Ranger
    No Hybrids for either Bronco in this timeframe
    All-New Edge/Nautilus are FWD/AWD
    Next Mustang is not CD6 based, but will get many of its parts under Ford's "Architecture" scheme.
    Many corporate wide technology initiatives including Hands-Free Cruise Control with attention tracking, Phone as a Key (PaaK), Sync 4 Connected Vehicle Architecture, and many more.
    The rumored "Fusion Active" is most likely a misread of the Mondeo Crossover successor which is not coming to North America.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-06-2020 at 12:11 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

igor (05-06-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Re: Ford Product Range by 2024

What about the Fusion Wagon "Activ" similar to an Outback that has been rumored for a while now.

Edit: missed your post at the bottom.. if that is truly not coming to the US that's a missed opportunity Outback sales have been constantly up year over year
    Last edited by Andrew L; 05-06-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

igor (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

It'll look like a VW dealership!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-06-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 743 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

I will argue the Escape (well basically the Kuga) being around in North America after the arrival of the Bronco Sport. If not then, it will still be here until the (Maverick SUV) arrives.

Before the whole "Pandemic" thing hit, Ford wanted "ALL" the remaining 2020 Escape Orders ready to build. We had 12 to prep for a 1 week Cycle. It was like "Ford" was shutting the Louisville Plant down quickly for Retooling. Perhaps for the Baby Bronco.

That started me thinking about the "Escape". Where it has been, what is supposedly "New and Improved" with the 2020 offering.

The Square Escape's had a Love Affair following, 2013's that dropped. So why did Ford "Round" them even more for 2020? (because the Bronco was coming) Why did Ford offer it's First DOD engine in NA, as one of it's Smallest (1.5L 3 cylinder)? Why not just use the 1.0L Eco?

Then I looked harder, and it is just a Rebadged Kuga, brought to NA, because the Baby Bronco wasn't ready on time. It didn't cost Ford much to build one Here as apposed to an "All New NA product".

So "If" there is a "Maverick" Ute and SUV, My guess is it Will be called an Escape, be a little more Civilian than the Bronco line, but still some Squareness like the 2008-2012's. Riding a piece of the Ruggedness Bronco brings to the Brand. Much like say, a Trail Hawk does working with the Wrangler.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Other than the Mustang there is not one vehicle there that interests me. Sad days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (05-06-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 526 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Any more info about the next Mustang? Due out 2023? AWD option? I will be in the market for a new coupe in the next 1-3 years.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I have no indication that the Mustang is going AWD but I'll keep an eye out for it. The 5.0L V8 Hybrid is the big ticket item. It's based on an updated version of the current platform.

Because the "Mondeo Active" is a EU specific product, I don't expect much of a resemblance to the Subaru Outback, but I really have no idea what this vehicle is going to look like at this point.

The Maverick Crossover is the big mystery to me, I have a hard time envisioning this product, but presumably it's going to compete with the Chevy Trailblazer and Jeep Compass. But there is an opportunity to create something more stylish and less SUV-ish with that vehicle, but I doubt it.

If anybody has a hard time envisioning what a FWD Compact pickup form factor looks like, the Fiat Toro is a good example (styling not withstanding). It also shares a platform with the Compass and Renegade. Chevy or GMC could also do something similar with Trailblazer as well.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BORG; 05-06-2020 at 11:16 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-08-2020),igor (05-06-2020),richmond2000 (05-07-2020),rockyspaw (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    I will argue the Escape (well basically the Kuga) being around in North America after the arrival of the Bronco Sport. If not then, it will still be here until the (Maverick SUV) arrives.

Before the whole "Pandemic" thing hit, Ford wanted "ALL" the remaining 2020 Escape Orders ready to build. We had 12 to prep for a 1 week Cycle. It was like "Ford" was shutting the Louisville Plant down quickly for Retooling. Perhaps for the Baby Bronco.

That started me thinking about the "Escape". Where it has been, what is supposedly "New and Improved" with the 2020 offering.

The Square Escape's had a Love Affair following, 2013's that dropped. So why did Ford "Round" them even more for 2020? (because the Bronco was coming) Why did Ford offer it's First DOD engine in NA, as one of it's Smallest (1.5L 3 cylinder)? Why not just use the 1.0L Eco?

Then I looked harder, and it is just a Rebadged Kuga, brought to NA, because the Baby Bronco wasn't ready on time. It didn't cost Ford much to build one Here as apposed to an "All New NA product".

So "If" there is a "Maverick" Ute and SUV, My guess is it Will be called an Escape, be a little more Civilian than the Bronco line, but still some Squareness like the 2008-2012's. Riding a piece of the Ruggedness Bronco brings to the Brand. Much like say, a Trail Hawk does working with the Wrangler.
    You're connecting dots that aren't there.

Escape and Kuga have been twins since 2013, and the Escape being more rounded has nothing to do with Bronco Sport being "not being ready on time". They made Escape more rounded for a few reasons - with cars going away, there's hope the more car like look will appeal to sedan buyers, and 2, they saw an opportunity to bring the more "macho" Bronco Sport to market, so they gave the Escape a more feminie, rounded look so they can attack the segment from two different prongs

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

igor (05-06-2020),richmond2000 (05-07-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Other than the Mustang there is not one vehicle there that interests me. Sad days.
    Totally agree. Unfortunately most of the market other than the German's are offering the same bland A to B boxes.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post

Escape and Kuga have been twins since 2013, and the Escape being more rounded has nothing to do with Bronco Sport being "not being ready on time". They made Escape more rounded for a few reasons - with cars going away, there's hope the more car like look will appeal to sedan buyers, and 2, they saw an opportunity to bring the more "macho" Bronco Sport to market, so they gave the Escape a more feminie, rounded look so they can attack the segment from two different prongs
    There are Dots, that no one else see also.

The fact that Ford wanted a 1 month build cycle and Build Out, completed in 1 week time frame, is Extremely unusual. Even when the Freestar Production ended in 2007, they just "Shut Off" the builds. There were No "Last Chance Orders" No Commitment Clean Up. Anything that had a Serial Number was finished and that was it.

But that was the Mini Van Market, and there was no Successor. This sudden Rush, was (IMO) a way to build up a Supply, before a change. That there was to be a Successor, just not with any great numbers to start. And the "Why?" they needed Capacity, and Louisville make obvious sense. More sense than having 5 vehicle lines (Baby Bronco, Bronco, Maverick, Eco Sport, and Escape) competing for the same slot.

Thanks
    My Ride

The fact that Ford wanted a 1 month build cycle and Build Out, completed in 1 week time frame, is Extremely unusual. Even when the Freestar Production ended in 2007, they just "Shut Off" the builds. There were No "Last Chance Orders" No Commitment Clean Up. Anything that had a Serial Number was finished and that was it.

But that was the Mini Van Market, and there was no Successor. This sudden Rush, was (IMO) a way to build up a Supply, before a change. That there was to be a Successor, just not with any great numbers to start. And the "Why?" they needed Capacity, and Louisville make obvious sense. More sense than having 5 vehicle lines (Baby Bronco, Bronco, Maverick, Eco Sport, and Escape) competing for the same slot.
    What are you talking about 5 products competing for the same slot? Bronco Sport and Maverick/Maverick crossover will be made in Hermosillo, not at Louisville with Escape. Bronco is at MAP with Ranger and not even remotely connected to this platform/factory placement.

Size wise, it'd be Maverick/Maverick crossover in the larger subcompact area (replacing EcoSport), Escape (car like) and Bronco Sport (SUV like) in the compact segment, and then Bronco in the midsize segment. I don't get the confusion there. Several other manufacturers also have multiple products in the smaller size categories, so it's not like it's some unprecedented plan either.

You really think they're going to develop a vehicle, retool an entire plant for said vehicle, start production, and then just shut the whole thing down after a few months and stop making Escape just because they have an additional product coming in the same segment? One that's produced at a different plant?
    Last edited by rmc523; 05-06-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Also, other reports/sources say "Fusion Active" is coming to the US.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 2,551 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post

The shutdown was one of the very few times when Ford could plan final month build
    and advise suppliers exact amounts needed before they too were shut down,
    quite surreal.

It should come as no surprise that Ford is trying to engage more buyers with new products,
    all of the ones you list are needed, Escape is going nowhere, lots of diversity.
    How long has it been since we could say that about Ford, feels like never to many here.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-06-2020 at 03:31 PM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    The shutdown was one of the very few times when Ford could plan final month build
    and advise suppliers exact amounts needed before they too were shut down,
    quite surreal.

It should come as no surprise that Ford is trying to engage more buyers with new products,
    all of the ones you list are needed, Escape is going nowhere, lots of diversity.
    How long has it been since we could say that about Ford, feels like never to many here.
    The Escape isn't going anywhere, it is just becoming a Baby Bronco. It's a Whole Rugged Off Road Capable Line thing.

This makes the Car Line exodus thing make more sense also. The "Ford" Brand name will no longer be attached to Cars (but for the Mustang) which also seems to be going CUV ish. Think "JEEP" as a Brand entity (and the only thing holding FCA together). Leave any "Car Base" vehicles to Lincoln, or perhaps Welcome Mercury back.

The sudden "Rush" to build out the 2020 Escape Line, happened before the Shut Down, by 2 weeks. Hermosillo, may have capacity, but not the Combined numbers of Baby Bronco, Maverick, and Escape (in numbers).

Something was up. I thought it would have been announced by now, but COVID has delayed it even longer.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I'm sure the utility range will make more sense once we see it together and priced up. But I think the relationship between Bronco Sport and Escape is quite obvious. Escape is more car-like at a time when Ford has no sedans. It's more fuel efficient and sporting with available HEV and PHEV drivetrains. Bronco Sport with standard AWD is much taller, less efficient or sporting, with a rugged SUV personality. I think it's simplistic to equate Bronco with the old Escape because they are both boxier. I think the Bronco Sport will be desirable, but since it's going to be pricier I don't think they are going to outsell Escape with them. Escape/Kuga is also a global product while the Bronco range is not, so there is huge scale there anyway. I do regret that Escape has basically turned into a car and aggressively eliminated any resemblance to an SUV. It's hard not to recognize the same process of evolution that killed other popular nameplates. I could certainly see Escape fade away from North America, but not anytime soon. It plays a critical roll in their range, just not in the same volume as before. But collectively they'll sell way more small SUVs while charging more for a big chunk of them.

The Maverick Pick-up is obviously very unique so no conflict there either. As for the Maverick-based Crossover, it's coming at least a year later than the pickup and is priced like an EcoSport. So think Compass and Trax/Trailblazer competitor. The SUV may not have all the drivetrain options available on the pickup. I could see a scenario where the Crossover doesn't get the the 2.0L EcoBoost for example, which is pricey on Escape and Bronco Sport as it is. The Pickup will likely cover a wider price range.

For a few years none of this was making much sense to me because all of these product codes were describing the same product, but it's coming into focus now.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-06-2020 at 11:03 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

ehaase (05-24-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information