Ford Planning New Af-Ford-able Model

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford Planning New Af-Ford-able Model

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,677 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Ford Planning New Af-Ford-able Model

Justin T. Westbrook
    Yesterday 10:05am

Last year, Ford decided to kill all of its small cars in the U.S., including the Ford Fiesta, Focus and Fusion, in favor of focusing more on what Americans really want: crossovers. But that leaves a huge gap in the Ford portfolio, which it now confusingly plans to fill with an all-new model in 2022.

Instead of giving us the Focus Active to fill some of the void left by all of those cars, which was briefly planned but also ultimately scrapped, Ford is now planning a new nameplate for the 2022 model year that will be “affordable,” according to a presentation by Ford’s VP of Enterprise Product Line Management, Jim Baumbick, via Automotive News:

Jim Baumbick, Ford’s vice president of enterprise product line management, on Wednesday said the automaker would by 2022 add an “affordable” nameplate aimed at filling the hole left by ending sales of the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Taurus sedans.

A Ford spokesman declined to say what sort of body style it would have or how big it would be.

“It’s an example of how we’re moving faster, working together differently and leveraging our five all-new flexible vehicle architectures,” Ford said in a statement. “We came up with the concept in just 12 weeks using our new product creation process. Previous all-new vehicles could have taken years of research before receiving approval.”

The Ford Fiesta is currently the cheapest Ford you can buy in the States. When that’s gone, the cheapest car Ford sells will go from the $14,260 base Fiesta sedan to the $19,995 Ford EcoSport.

So perhaps this new model will target a starting price somewhere between those two models. And the company will want something that will move in numbers, so maybe it’s another small crossover. It could even be something similar, if slightly larger, than the global market Ford Ka Active, pictured at the top.

A future product map from a Ford presentation published over on CarScoops seems to show a new “on-road performance” crossover slotted between the Escape and Edge crossovers, which may or may not be whatever this future affordable car is. Sounds expensive, to me.

We also know Ford already has whatever that “Mustang-inspired” electric vehicle will be, a new Ford Bronco, a new, smaller rugged “Baby Bronco,” and a new unibody pickup likely intended to slot under the current Ranger, all on the way.

Auto News points out the new small pickup is due in 2022 and may actually be the vehicle Baumbick is talking about. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if Ford swapped out some unprofitable sedans for a genuinely small and affordable pickup, but it will never replace the Fiesta and Focus ST in my heart, which only adequately supplies my brain with oxygen when I’m thinking about turbocharged manual hatchbacks.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-is-plannin...g-a-1834137275

Bureaucratspeak. Saying so little with so much.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-20-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,677 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Ford Planning New Af-Ford-able Model

WHAT??? Nobody wants a small, affordable, economical Ford? In 2023? Sheesh.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,348 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Ford has maintained that the "sedan silhouette" dies BUT the buyers of those products will have a different product to buy

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

In the meantime, Honda, Nissan and Toyota can manage to offer traditional sedans, Trucks, SUV and Vans on fewer "Flexible" Platforms........

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,304 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

If it's affordable, I wonder where it will be built?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    If it's affordable, I wonder where it will be built?
    Mexico for sure. I was glad to see Ford move truck and SUV production to the US. Meanwhile GM is in the process of destroying the community of Lordstown and builds the Blazer, a high profit model, in Mexico.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (04-20-2019)

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information