Ford offers free repairs to prevent exhaust leaks in 1.4 million Explorers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford offers free repairs to prevent exhaust leaks in 1.4 million Explorers

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,928 Times in 2,544 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Reuters
    Oct 13th 2017 at 2:46PM

Link.....https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/13/...ound-ab-tile-4

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Friday it will offer free repairs to North American owners
    of more than 1.4 million Explorer sport utility vehicles to help ensure that carbon monoxide and other
    exhaust gases cannot get into the vehicles, following the U.S. government's decision to upgrade an
    investigation into the issue in July.

Several U.S. police agencies have raised concerns about potentially deadly carbon monoxide gas entering
    the cabins of Ford Explorers that had been adapted for law enforcement uses. Federal regulators have
    said they are aware of more than 2,700 complaints, three crashes and 41 injuries that may be linked to
    exposure to carbon monoxide among police and civilian 2011-2017 Explorer vehicles.

Ford said its investigation has not found "carbon monoxide levels that exceed what people are exposed
    to every day" in the 1.4 million civilian vehicles. There is no U.S. government standard for in-vehicle
    carbon monoxide levels. Ford says it believes the vehicles are safe and is making the offer, which it is
    not classifying as a recall, in response to customer concerns.

The second largest U.S. automaker said starting November 1, dealers will reprogram the air conditioner,
    replace the liftgate drain valves and inspect sealing of the rear of the vehicle. The fix covers about
    1.3 million U.S. vehicles and about 100,000 in Canada and Mexico.

Ford declined to comment on the potential financial impact of the service offer that will last through
    the end of 2018.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in July upgraded and expanded
    a probe into 1.33 million Ford Explorer SUVs over reports of exhaust odors in vehicle compartments
    and exposure to carbon monoxide.

Police agencies have reported two crashes that may be linked to carbon monoxide exposure
    and a third incident involving injuries related to carbon monoxide exposure.

NHTSA said it is evaluating preliminary testing that suggests carbon monoxide levels may be
    elevated in certain driving scenarios.

Ford has issued four technical service bulletins related to the exhaust odor issue to address
    complaints from police fleets and other owners.

In July, Ford said it would pay to repair police versions of its Ford Explorer SUVs to correct
    possible carbon monoxide leaks that may be linked to crashes and injuries after some police
    reports temporarily halted use of the vehicles over carbon monoxide concerns.

The city of Austin, Texas said in July it would removing all 400 of the city's Ford Explorer SUVs
    from use for additional testing and repairs after the city said 20 police officers were found
    with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. The department returned the vehicles to service
    after repairs and testing.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-13-2017 at 06:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: Ford offers free repairs to prevent exhaust leaks in 1.4 million Explorers

The second largest U.S. automaker said starting November 1, dealers will reprogram the air
    conditioner, replace the liftgate drain valves and inspect sealing of the rear of the vehicle.
    The fix covers about 1.3 million U.S. vehicles and about 100,000 in Canada and Mexico.
    The lift gate drain valves are interesting, if those don't seal properly when the A/C is in recirc,
    exhaust gas is gonna come straight on in. That and Lift gate seal, seals around tail lamps all
    add up to potential places for exhaust to enter the cabin on recirc.

The reason we haven't seen anything on A/C fresh cycle is due to positive pressure in the cabin
    keeping exhaust gasses out by blowing through any potential leak areas. It's also why cracked
    manifolds are not the source of the gasses in the cabin (could only happen with A/C on fresh)

It's still an isolated problem otherwise all of those 1.4 million vehicle owners would be complaining..

I found this in relation to Ford third party testing of CO level sin cabins of complaint vehicles.
    Ford has bought back and checked
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...upgraded.shtml
    September 15, 2017 — A Ford Explorer carbon monoxide investigation has been upgraded after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) wasn't pleased with Ford response to the investigation.

The original investigation was opened in 2016 and included 2011-2015 Explorers, then expanded in July 2017 to include additional model years. NHTSA says it found additional customer reports related to exhaust odors, along with three crashes and 41 injuries.

Customers complain about symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea, headaches and dizziness, but a few people also report losing consciousness while driving.

Ford provided safety regulators with 2,400 owner complaints, legal claims and warranty claims involving 2,051 SUVs, in addition to providing details about Ford's own investigation.

Ford told safety regulators third-party independent researchers investigated the Explorers to measure carbon monoxide levels under different driving conditions. Ford also says technical service bulletins (TSBs) issued to dealers show the repairs helped the SUVs.

Four Explorers were selected for testing and equipped with carbon monoxide detectors on the driver's headrest and the rear third-row driver-side headrest. The SUVs were driven about 40 minutes and included several instances of the throttles wide open.

The first Explorer tested was a complaint vehicle that had been repurchased by Ford, an SUV that had been repaired under a technical service bulletin. Ford says it concluded the SUV didn't register measureable levels of carbon monoxide in the front or rear seats.

The second Explorer tested was a complaint vehicle that had partial TSB repairs performed as there was no underbody sealant or liftgate drain valves installed. This SUV registered a brief CO level of 7 ppm in the rear seating position that quickly dissipated resulting in an average of less than 1 ppm.

The third Explorer tested was a non-complaint vehicle that never had any recommended repairs performed and the SUV had previously been involved in a rear-end collision.

The Explorer also measured a brief maximum CO level of 7 ppm in the rear seating position that quickly dissipated resulting in an average of less than 1 ppm over the duration of the test drive.

The fourth Explorer tested was a non-complaint vehicle that never had any recommended repairs performed and the SUV had previously been involved in a rear-end collision.

This fourth vehicle measured a brief maximum CO level of 16 ppm in the rear seating area that also allegedly quickly dissipated resulting in an average of 4.5 ppm.

Ford says all these CO levels are well below any standards, especially since investigators found only “momentary" levels that quickly disappeared. In addition, when investigators allegedly drove the SUVs without using wide-open throttles, the carbon monoxide levels were zero.

The automaker also says after a beginning spike of complaints, the number of reports steadily declined, allegedly proof that repairs made under technical service bulletins did their job.

As for reports about occupants getting sick from the fumes, Ford says there is no evidence to show exhaust odors or carbon monoxide caused the problems.

Ford concluded to NHTSA the alleged defect shows only a small number of customers are affected by exhaust odors entering the cabins and independent testing shows that amounts of carbon monoxide are below Ford's standards.

In addition to Ford's standards, the carbon monoxide levels are allegedly below all known air quality standards and therefore not harmful to Explorer occupants.

The automaker also says it has taken steps to repair and improve the SUVs that have proven to be very effective.

None of that was apparently impressive to NHTSA because the investigation is now upgraded to an engineering analysis of more than 839,635 model year 2011-2017 Ford Explorers.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-14-2017)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Already provided in OP and as per your link,

Ford said it will send letters to civilian owners of 2011 through 2017 Explorers starting this month advising them that they can have their SUVs serviced. Dealers will perform the work between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31.

Mechanics will check for leaks in the rear lift gate gaskets and drain valves. If any leaks are found, they'll be sealed or gaskets will be replaced to prevent fumes from entering, Ford spokesman Mike Levine said. They'll also reprogram the air conditioning to let in more fresh air.

Ford will pay for the work regardless of mileage, age of the vehicles or whether they're under warranty. It also will reimburse owners who previously paid for repair work, Levine said.

The customer service campaign is not a recall, although safety regulators could still push for one. NHTSA began its investigation of Explorers in July 2016..
    Now that the fix is proven to work, I'm expecting Ford to get on top of this very quickly.

It seems like every news report is now mentions the 400 PIUs being pulled from service
    but fail to add that all have now been successfully repaired and back in service.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-14-2017 at 06:09 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,302 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Of course. Bad news sells, especially when "entertainment" news can bash a large corporation. When they act responsibly, and fix things on their dime even when not forced?? Crickets.....................

BTW, in my 80K miles in my Explorer Sport, I have never had any issues with exhaust smell no matter what I do. Oh yeah, I often get odors from cars in front of me, which is quickly fixed by going on recirculate.
    The resident "girl"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Ruby Red Fusion Titanium

A good buddy of mine here at work, his daughter bought a new explorer last year and she's never complained about it either... I know a few others with explorer's as well with no complaints

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 07SIERRA For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 07SIERRA View Post
    A good buddy of mine here at work, his daughter bought a new explorer last year and she's never complained about it either... I know a few others with explorer's as well with no complaints
    Carbon Monoxide is odorless, BTW.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to member12 For This Useful Post:

RamJet502 (11-17-2017),TruckMan (11-15-2017)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,649 Times in 3,699 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

very ford tough

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SIERRA View Post
    Well, I guess that settles it.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impala02 For This Useful Post:

RamJet502 (11-17-2017),TruckMan (11-15-2017)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    There is way more in exhaust than carbon monoxide and it stinks, BTW.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Total Wacko
    Goldman Sachs and Ford orchestrated a smear / rumor campaign against the Corvair - well over a year before it came out so this is really nothing except another performance of.....
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Ridgeback12345
    I could care less about the human rights in China!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dratnol For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (11-16-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    Well, I guess that settles it.
    For the overwhelming majority of those 1.3 million Explorers and owners there's no exhaust issue whatsoever.
    Not excusing leaks on a couple of thousand vehicles but in perspective, it's a tiny fraction of a percent of all owners.
    Last edited by jpd80; 11-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,302 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    We drove ours from Arizona to Disney World and back with my husband, our son, and his best friend. No issues at all. If Carbon Monoxide was coming in, mysteriously with no other parts of the exhaust, it would have made us sick. We were averaging over 700 miles a day.
    The resident "girl"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (11-17-2017)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 741 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Of course. Bad news sells, especially when "entertainment" news can bash a large corporation. When they act responsibly, and fix things on their dime even when not forced?? Crickets.....................

This has become SO MUCH in the forefront at Ford anyways. Even before Ignition Gate.

2011, the ALL New Fiesta's, were stopped in shipping. Before they landed on Dealer's lots, to fix a Seat Back Bolt. Ford sent Tech's all over NA, to rail yard drop points to fix them, then sent them out to Dealers. Why?, No Recall.

I had a Customer wait 5 months for an ordered F150. Week 6, the truck was built, sent to Rail for shipping, might have even been loaded on a Rail Car, then sent back to the Plant. "Quality Control Issue" that everyone was tight lipped about. Something happened on the line, wasn't caught right away and a few 1000, had to be repaired. No Recall.

Delivery Holds, pop up almost Daily, if it ain't sold, it isn't a Recall because it still belongs to Ford.

Ford, has been doing this for quite a while, to avoid being in the News.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Delivery holds are a neat way of avoiding recalls by sweeping them under the carpet but it really ticks off buyers...

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information