Ford gt350 mustang owners are sueing Ford because the car goes into limp mode at the

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford gt350 mustang owners are sueing Ford because the car goes into limp mode at the

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,061 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Ford gt350 mustang owners are sueing Ford because the car goes into limp mode at the

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/she...-sue-ford.html

I just read this article that the gt350 owners are sueing Ford because the vehicle goes into limp mode on the track ..

Thought the gt350 was a cool ride.

I would think retrofitting new transmission and differential coolers would or should fix the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC crysalis_01's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ford gt350 mustang owners are sueing Ford because the car goes into limp mode at

So, these are buyers that opted for Base or xTech Pack cars, that do not come with trans and dif coolers included in the Track Pack. Buyers who then chose to track a base or Tech Pack car and don't understand why their cars are less "track ready", brilliant.

However, I guess we can thank these types for Ford making the Track Pack standard equipment on the '17+ GT350's.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crysalis_01 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (03-23-2017),redriderjf87 (03-23-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ford gt350 mustang owners are sueing Ford because the car goes into limp mode at

Quote Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
    So, these are buyers that opted for Base or xTech Pack cars, that do not come with trans and dif coolers included in the Track Pack. Buyers who then chose to track a base or Tech Pack car and don't understand why their cars are less "track ready", brilliant.

However, I guess we can thank these types for Ford making the Track Pack standard equipment on the '17+ GT350's.
    Did you refer to a GT350 as a "Base car"? Really? Whats base about it? For $50k or however much it is, I fail to see how anyone can call this a base car.
    I understand that the "R" model is more suited to the track, but going into "limp mode" is proof that Ford is not allowing the car to be run hard. They have
    an onboard nanny that obviously is trying to preserve the car, which in the end is helpful to the customer so that they don't blow their car up, but I think
    most people who pay that kind of $$$ for a GT350 expect more. They've been told how awesome this car is, and track pedigree, etc., etc...I would be
    pissed too if I took the car to a track day and couldn't play with the supposedly lesser cars out on the track.

Shoulda bought a 1LE and saved a few grand

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-24-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts

Possible minor correction to the thread title: it's a bunch of lawyers with a questionable track record suing Ford, not necessarily the owners. Hagens Berman in particular (to be fair, I don't know anything about Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen) has a reputation as an over-aggressive class action law firm with dubious ethics. Yes, I know they claim to represent the owners but it's not unusual for Hagens Berman to come up with a lawsuit and actively look for potential "plaintiffs". Hagens Berman has also been found legally guilty of, and fined for, dropping paid clients when more lucrative opportunities present themselves.

BTW, I'm not saying the suit isn't without merit. Just that the lead law firm involved makes me think more "ambulance chaser" rather than "corporate culprit".
    Last edited by emh; 03-23-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

9. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-24-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,334 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/she...-sue-ford.html

I just read this article that the gt350 owners are sueing Ford because the vehicle goes into limp mode on the track ..

Thought the gt350 was a cool ride.

I would think retrofitting new transmission and differential coolers would or should fix the problem?
    They should just disable the "limp home" feature and let the owners drive them until they explode. Problem solved.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,579 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

This is interesting because Australian police services tested a GT Mustang to validate it for police use and it too went into limp mode during the test and I believe that was due to transmission as well

Perhaps Ford need to offer the coolers as standard across the board?
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC redriderjf87's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1981 Camaro Z-28

Ford should've made the coolers / Track package standard on the 350 from the beginning. But don't opt out of the coolers and then complain about overheating on significant track use.

As a Camaro owner, I'd still buy a track-pack equipped GT350 in a New York minute.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 383 SBC, FiTech EFI, TKO600, 4.11's

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L, 6-spd

2018 Yamaha TW200 - bone stock

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redriderjf87 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (03-23-2017)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,642 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    This is interesting because Australian police services tested a GT Mustang to validate it for police use and it too went into limp mode during the test and I believe that was due to transmission as well

Perhaps Ford need to offer the coolers as standard across the board?
    The police always wanted the Commodore and had written their rules to all but guarantee re-order.
    notice how the problems with the Mustang were never considered a one off and given another chance?

The issue with early GT350s going into limp mode was all because Ford forsed those '15 & '16 buyers to
    choose between a Tech pack and a track pack but not both at the same time. So those who bought the
    tech pack then tried to run their cars on the track without dif and trans coolers. Once the temp climbs
    above a certain level on either the car goes into limp mode.

Fortunately, that troubling oversight was put right for 2017 model. I suspect an out of court settlement
    will happen where those deficient GT350s are made whole by the fitment of said trans coolers, all at Ford's
    expense as a belated good will gesture - it's in their best interests to do so....
    Last edited by jpd80; 03-24-2017 at 12:03 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,142 Times in 3,953 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Like everything in America, it always comes down to lawsuits.. no?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Like everything in America, it always comes down to lawsuits.. no?
    Troubling but true that some manufacturers need threats to do the right thing,
    fortunately this is just a few thousand cars, not millions over years.

GM survived its ignition switch scandal and turned it into a huge selling opportunity,
    the good will opportunity that comes from Ford swallowing its price and retrofitting
    a few coolers to these early build GT350s is loose change for Ford and probably
    cheaper than fighting a messy battle in court...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC crysalis_01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    Did you refer to a GT350 as a "Base car"? Really? Whats base about it? For $50k or however much it is, I fail to see how anyone can call this a base car.
    I understand that the "R" model is more suited to the track, but going into "limp mode" is proof that Ford is not allowing the car to be run hard. They have
    an onboard nanny that obviously is trying to preserve the car, which in the end is helpful to the customer so that they don't blow their car up, but I think
    most people who pay that kind of $$$ for a GT350 expect more. They've been told how awesome this car is, and track pedigree, etc., etc...I would be
    pissed too if I took the car to a track day and couldn't play with the supposedly lesser cars out on the track.

Shoulda bought a 1LE and saved a few grand
    Well, the option to get a GT350 without either the Tech or Track Packs, did exist. Thusly any car sold in this configuration would be a "base" GT350. A base Mustang? Absolutly not.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to crysalis_01 For This Useful Post:

redriderjf87 (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

And also, the early cars can't be easily retrofitted with a trans cooler because there are no
    boss provisions on the gearbox case for plumbing the necessary spouts and lines.

Making things worse, Ford ahs now added elements of the track pack into the '17 GT350s
    and adjusted the price accordingly, I think that's a tacit admission that the early cars were
    deficient in terms of the needs of intended buyers.

Ford covers owners who want to run their cars on track days provided that the don't directly
    compete with others. I think that right there is prima-face that the cars should be track capable
    and not go into limp mode so easily.

Originally Posted by 61BelAir
    There are two versions of GT 350s, the GT350 and the GT350R. It's clear that Ford developed the R first
    and then de-conted down to the base GT350 as a way of assuring decent sales numbers for the project.
    So I have no problem calling the GT350 a base car since there's a GT350R sitting above it with so much more.
    Last edited by jpd80; 03-24-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    This all goes away with a buy back plan on newer GT350

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

So just to be clear, the danger of slowing down is a threat, during hard track use which consists of radical speeds, G forces, braking, etc.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information