Ford GT Returning to Le Mans

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford GT Returning to Le Mans

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Ford GT Returning to Le Mans

FORD RETURNING TO LE MANS IN 2016 WITH ALL-NEW FORD GT, MARKING 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF 1966 VICTORY

Ford returns to Le Mans in 2016 with the all-new Ford GT supercar to compete in LM GTE Pro class, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Ford’s 1966 overall victory
    All-new Ford factory program to compete in both the FIA World Endurance Championship and TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with a two-team, four-car effort – operated by Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates
    Ford GT is company’s showcase for aerodynamics and lightweight carbon fiber construction, along with new twin-turbocharged Ford EcoBoost® V6 – most powerful EcoBoost production engine ever

Ford announced today it is returning to one of the most prestigious automobile races in the world with its new Ford GT race car, based on the all-new ultra-high-performance supercar that goes on sale next year.
    The Ford GT race car will compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans – referred to by many as the Grand Prix of Endurance and Efficiency – starting next year. Revealed today at the famous circuit in Le Mans, France, Ford GT will compete in the Le Mans GT Endurance class for professional teams and drivers (LM GTE Pro).

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...t-le-mans.html
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

Butz (06-12-2015),igor (06-12-2015),LetsRace (06-12-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: Ford GT Returning to Le Mans

My body is ready!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

Andrew L (06-12-2015),igor (06-12-2015),SVTKAR3 (06-13-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Should be fun.

How does this car compare to the Corvettes?
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Time to kick some Ferrari ass!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Butz For This Useful Post:

SVTKAR3 (06-13-2015)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and Ford is all outta bubblegum
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

SVTKAR3 (06-13-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Instead of a money losing birthday present that will torch billions on a corporate feel good project, they should build some Chinese Lincoln production capacity and a RWD Town Car. Halo cars don't have to be money pits.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Ferrari will be upgrading to their 488 based GT car next year. I think Alpine Cars will be announcing something this week also. 2016 is shaping up to be really interesting.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by analogbubbles View Post
    Instead of a money losing birthday present that will torch billions on a corporate feel good project, they should build some Chinese Lincoln production capacity and a RWD Town Car. Halo cars don't have to be money pits.
    The technology in this and the road going version will go into future vehicles. Just like Cadillac's Omega. omega will lose money for GM, but the technology advancements will spread throughout the company and used elsewhere which will make money.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

You think a RWD Town Car wouldn't be a money pit?

The GT has a specific mission... put some luster on the Ecoboost brand name. I've already seen billboards in the NYC Metro area playing this fact up. If the Ford GT can win their class in LeMans with Ecoboost, then it's good enough for your Focus or F-150.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    The technology in this and the road going version will go into future vehicles. Just like Cadillac's Omega. omega will lose money for GM, but the technology advancements will spread throughout the company and used elsewhere which will make money.
    Mid-engine sports cars make for poor R&D vehicles because they're a big stretch from anything that trickles down to the profit generators (unlike something like SuperCruise which will eventually be on everything), plus Ford learned the expensive way with the last GT and all its recalls. The technology excuse just doesn't fly because they could learn just as much in a less expensive series. A Town Car off of D6 would be much less expensive, absolutely shread in China where chauffeured cars mean something, and improve Lincoln's brand image, which needs way more help than Fords.

Point being, several billion on a sports car/racing series makes for expensive advertising and a missed opportunity for ROI.
    Last edited by analogbubbles; 06-12-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Mid-engine sports cars make for poor R&D vehicles because they're a big stretch from anything that trickles down to the profit generators (unlike something like SuperCruise which will eventually be on everything), plus Ford learned the expensive way with the last GT and all its recalls. The technology excuse just doesn't fly because they could learn just as much in a less expensive series. A Town Car off of D6 would be much less expensive, absolutely shread in China where chauffeured cars mean something, and improve Lincoln's brand image, which needs way more help than Fords.

Point being, several billion on a sports car/racing series makes for expensive advertising and a missed opportunity for ROI.
    The Ecoboost V6 is not relevant? Their corporate V6? The fact that it's a mid-engine implementation is the part that's irrelevant. Mazda is getting similar benefits from racing their diesel powered P2 Skyactive race car in the TUSCC racing series.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    The Ecoboost V6 is not relevant? Their corporate V6? The fact that it's a mid-engine implementation is the part that's irrelevant. Mazda is getting similar benefits from racing their diesel powered P2 Skyactive race car in the TUSCC racing series.
    They're already using Ecoboost engines in DP cars, and any incremental knowledge gained in LE Mans is definitely not warranted for the money. It's a pissing contest, which is fine and good, but a really inefficent way to justify R&D.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

They're already using Ecoboost engines in DP cars, and any incremental knowledge gained in LE Mans is definitely not warranted for the money. It's a pissing contest, which is fine and good, but a really inefficent way to justify R&D.
    On that basis, all racing should be banned as it has no benefit to mankind - whilst you're entitled to your view it's bunkum.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Here are some live photos.

From the article:
    Ford unveiled the new car today at the Circuit de la Sarthe on the occasion of this years race. This new GT car will race in the Le Mans GT Endurance class and not the top LMP1 category.

5 pictures and in the gallery

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    On that basis, all racing should be banned as it has no benefit to mankind - whilst you're entitled to your view it's bunkum.
    I'm not saying that at all, rather that there are diminishing and nonlinear R&D returns per dollar depending on the series.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information