Ford determined to keep Fusion soaring

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford determined to keep Fusion soaring

Thanks

Ford determined to keep Fusion soaring

Lesson Learned
    Ford determined to keep marketing support high for Fusion

By AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 06/14/06, 4:23 pm et

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. marketers learned a tough lesson when they dialed back spending on the Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle last year. And they intend not to repeat the mistake with the Fusion.

So in a shift from its usual pattern when launching a vehicle, Ford won't trim the marketing budget for the sedan during its second year.

Marketing support for the Fusion, Ford's most promising new-car debut this decade, will be maintained at launch-year levels, said Linda Perry-Lube, car communications manager for the Ford brand.

She wouldn't disclose the budgeted amount.

Keeping that support high into the second year is a "very unusual" move for Ford, Perry-Lube said. Marketing support usually drops off significantly after a launch year. There is no typical rate of falloff, Ford said, but sometimes the support has dwindled to near zero.

But Ford has learned from past mistakes, Perry-Lube said. "Sometimes it's launch and abandon," she said. "It's from launch into nothing. That's what we really did with the Five Hundred and Freestyle."

The Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle crossover went on sale in September 2004. Marketing support began to tail off midway through their first year, Perry-Lube said.

Sales of the Freestyle have been disappointing, and Five Hundred sales have hit the low side of Ford's target.

When the Five Hundred and Freestyle debuted, Ford executives said they expected annual U.S. sales of 100,000 to 125,000 for each model. But in 2005, Ford sold 107,932 Five Hundreds and 76,739 Freestyles in the United States.

The Fusion launch has been promising. Since going on sale in late September, Ford has sold 74,381 Fusions in the United States.

The Fusion has far outpaced the early sales rate of the Five Hundred and Freestyle, with volume rising steadily each month. And Ford marketers say the Fusion is winning over more non-Ford Motor buyers than expected.

One way Ford plans to keep the Fusion in the limelight is by letting it stay in the Ford brand's focus-vehicle marketing plan for 2007.

The Fusion already is one of four nameplates on which the Ford brand is concentrating much of its advertising, incentive and other marketing money in 2006. Perry-Lube said that plan will continue next year.

Ford, she said, will continue to devote a significant chunk of the budget to nontraditional marketing.

About 30 percent of the spending on the Fusion has been devoted to Internet advertising and events.

Perry-Lube said: "The sales track is ahead of where it should be, so the mix is working."

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/TOC01ARCHIVE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Re: Ford determined to keep Fusion soaring

The Fusion launch has been promising. Since going on sale in late September, Ford has sold 74,381 Fusions in the United States.
    Only 74,381 Fusions solds since Septhember??!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    Only 74,381 Fusions solds since Septhember??!!!
    Seems like it should be at least 100k for such a main stream car........

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

the Demand exceed the supply, same problem with the Zephyr.

when you order a Fusion, it could take more than 6 months.

Thanks

Now if that's the case, then congrats for Ford production planning. They could have delayed the Milan and the Zephyr or rescheduled production so that they could cope with big demand. There is only one thing worse than to be surprised by a poor response to a new product - to be suprised by a GOOD response to a new product.

What is important is that Fusion still isn't on American Top 20 list. But, lo and behold, Taurus is!

BTW, do those declarations mean that Ford is actually going to actually update the Fusion before it gets old? As concerns continuous marketing support, they should've learned something from the case of the Contour.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado / 2006 Grand Pr

give it time, the Fusion will save ford. Ive said it a million times! it doesn't happen over time, just give it pr, it'll sell. I test drove one for the fun of it, and i must say i loved the car!
    2004 Silverado Z71
    2006 Grand Prix GT

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

Hidden Content

Ach
    Thanks

Marketing support can only go so far. The car needs the Duratec 3.5 now to remain competitive, even if just in a top of the line halo version. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. As with other Ford mainstream products, it will be perpetually underpowered. Ford's powertrain development is the worst in the industry and it is starting to bite them in the rear.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ach
    Marketing support can only go so far. The car needs the Duratec 3.5 now to remain competitive, even if just in a top of the line halo version. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. As with other Ford mainstream products, it will be perpetually underpowered. Ford's powertrain development is the worst in the industry and it is starting to bite them in the rear.
    Not only the 3.5 but also some turbo-diesel engines (like the European "Duratorq" Ford-PSA) and a flex-fuel version of the 4cyl and V6 will help as well

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FordFan

Is that why the Zephyr has 3 grand in incentives on it?
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Strapping.Young.Lad's Avatar
    Thanks

It does!!!
    Wow....Didn't know that.
    1992 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T
    Formerly Known As: FordRules

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FordRules
    It does!!!
    Wow....Didn't know that.
    Does not. Only $500 or a low interest rate that can be 0%, 3.9%, 5.9% or 7.9% depending on the lenght of the loan. There is an $500 if you are a repeating Ford Credit Customer and $500 if you are active military personnel, which are standard Ford incentives.

I just hope that AV got confused. I wouldn't like to think he was deliberately lying. In the Long Island, NY area where I think he is the incentives are exactly the same.

It would be weird for the car that single handedly put Lincoln on positive trend of 5.2% so far this year to have such incentives as AV falsely claims.

And yes AV, I have no idea if the demand exceeds the supply in the Zephyr's case but it may very well be.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

Quote Originally Posted by FordMan
    Lesson Learned
    Ford determined to keep marketing support high for Fusion

By AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 06/14/06, 4:23 pm et

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. marketers learned a tough lesson when they dialed back spending on the Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle last year. And they intend not to repeat the mistake with the Fusion.

So in a shift from its usual pattern when launching a vehicle, Ford won't trim the marketing budget for the sedan during its second year.

Marketing support for the Fusion, Ford's most promising new-car debut this decade, will be maintained at launch-year levels, said Linda Perry-Lube, car communications manager for the Ford brand.

She wouldn't disclose the budgeted amount.

Keeping that support high into the second year is a "very unusual" move for Ford, Perry-Lube said. Marketing support usually drops off significantly after a launch year. There is no typical rate of falloff, Ford said, but sometimes the support has dwindled to near zero.

But Ford has learned from past mistakes, Perry-Lube said. "Sometimes it's launch and abandon," she said. "It's from launch into nothing. That's what we really did with the Five Hundred and Freestyle."

The Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle crossover went on sale in September 2004. Marketing support began to tail off midway through their first year, Perry-Lube said.

Sales of the Freestyle have been disappointing, and Five Hundred sales have hit the low side of Ford's target.

When the Five Hundred and Freestyle debuted, Ford executives said they expected annual U.S. sales of 100,000 to 125,000 for each model. But in 2005, Ford sold 107,932 Five Hundreds and 76,739 Freestyles in the United States.

The Fusion has far outpaced the early sales rate of the Five Hundred and Freestyle, with volume rising steadily each month. And Ford marketers say the Fusion is winning over more non-Ford Motor buyers than expected.
    I am a prime example I love Gm but hello Fusion give me one Black on Black with the V6 and a moon roof and I am ready to go.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by FordFan

Then why does every ford dealership in my area have 40+ sittin in the lot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Will123w
    Then why does every ford dealership in my area have 40+ sittin in the lot?
    Lets see about this BS:

John Nolan Ford. 3250 Highland Ave. Cincinnati, OH; has 21 Fusions in their lot.
    Woody Sander Ford. 235 W Mitchell Ave. I-75 Exit #6, Cincinnati, OH; has 11 Fusions in their lot.
    Fuller Ford. 900 W Eight St. Cincinnati, OH; has 9 Fusions in their lot.
    Montgomery Ford. 9260 Montgomery Rd. Cincinnati, OH; has 30 Fusions in their lot.
    Colerain Ford. 8571 Colerain Ave. Cincinnati, OH; has 14 Fusions in their lot.

Data gathered at forddirect.com using ZIP code 45212 from Norwood Oh, as this appears to be Will123w's "area" as per his user profile.

Is ridiculous how easy some people throw this kind of BS out there as if anyone couldn't call them on their lies. First the false claim about 3K incentives on the Zephyr and now this.

The dealer that has the largest inventory of Fusions in your area has 30. 40+ is a anti-Ford Kool-Aid induced fantasy . . . A.K.A. Bull Sh¡t!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by SobeSVT
    Lets see about this BS:

John Nolan Ford. 3250 Highland Ave. Cincinnati, OH; has 21 Fusions in their lot.
    Woody Sander Ford. 235 W Mitchell Ave. I-75 Exit #6, Cincinnati, OH; has 11 Fusions in their lot.
    Fuller Ford. 900 W Eight St. Cincinnati, OH; has 9 Fusions in their lot.
    Montgomery Ford. 9260 Montgomery Rd. Cincinnati, OH; has 30 Fusions in their lot.
    Colerain Ford. 8571 Colerain Ave. Cincinnati, OH; has 14 Fusions in their lot.

Data gathered at forddirect.com using ZIP code 45212 from Norwood Oh, as this appears to be Will123w's "area" as per his user profile.

Is ridiculous how easy some people throw this kind of BS out there as if anyone couldn't call them on their lies. First the false claim about 3K incentives on the Zephyr and now this.

The dealer that has the largest inventory of Fusions in your area has 30. 40+ is a anti-Ford Kool-Aid induced fantasy . . . A.K.A. Bull Sh¡t!!

Hmmm, sounds like WPB moved to Ohio.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information