Ford Considering Taurus Withdrawal from US Market?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Considering Taurus Withdrawal from US Market?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,059 Posts

Source: LeftLaneNews
    August 17th, 2015

The Blue Oval's full-size sedan has not been selling well in the US market this year, with sales down by 28 percent in July and nearly 32 percent for the first seven months of the year. The falloff effectively makes the Taurus the worst-performing mainstream vehicle in Ford's lineup, in terms of growth.

One of the first signs of the Taurus' potential US demise came in April, when Ford unveiled a new Taurus (pictured) in Shanghai. Rather than serving as a global vehicle, the 2016 Taurus was presented as an exclusive offering for the Chinese market.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-con...ket-89399.html
    __________________________________________________ _______________

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Ford Considering Taurus Withdrawal from US Market?

I'm actually looking forward to this for two reasons:

1. It would spite Alan Mulally.

2. It leaves a lot of room for the Fusion and Continental to grow and potentially add variants and additional wheelbases.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,675 Times in 2,633 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

No.

This is dumb.

Update the car and make it feel like a full sized vehicle.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-18-2015),cad1cts (08-17-2015),donmateo (08-19-2015),Neanderthal (09-28-2015),richmond2000 (08-17-2015),Sal Collaziano (08-19-2015),t-rex (08-23-2015),The Voice of Doom (08-20-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,345 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to this for two reasons:

1. It would spite Alan Mulally.

2. It leaves a lot of room for the Fusion and Continental to grow and potentially add variants and additional wheelbases.
    the FUSION would NOT grow as it is a "one Ford" global car and the global market does NOT want it to grow and I assume the Continental will USE the Taurus chassis SO NO USDM taurus harder case for the Continental + what about the police intercepter program as I assume SOME departments can't OR won't buy a SUV cop car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-17-2015)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Rename the Fusion "Taurus", and rename the Taurus "Crown Victoria", (the way they should've been named) and call it a day.
    Get used to more.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeetheUSA For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-17-2015),DirtyMoney (08-18-2015),Neanderthal (09-28-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Eh, there's three ways this can go as I see it. Offer the new Taurus here, which would no doubt increase sales for the nameplate. The current car was shown in 2009 and the competition has gotten far better. I have little doubt it could be one of the best sellers in the segment.

The next route is to keep the Taurus out of NA markets or simply sell it as a fleet vehicle (government only?). From there they can make the higher end Fusions even more lavish with something above Titanium and even an SHO-grade product like my proposed 2.3T 300+ horsepower version. Basically make it here what the Mondeo or Passat do in Europe. The question is whether or not there's a market for that, because either way Ford should be looking towards sedans that can use high margins. They can't simply lose a product that chiefly sold between 30-45K.

The last option is for them to develop a new sedan. Perhaps something on the Mustang's RWD platform that would work in some global markets, not only the US. And that car would probably be able to move well upmarket from what the Taurus can even do at this point. But that's the biggest risk and cost for Ford right now, and therefore the least likely by far. But no matter which path Ford chooses they should have something that's a sedan above today's Fusion. You can't just ignore that market or expect Lincoln to cover it completely, because that's simply not going to happen. But we'll see. Maybe Ford chooses the "ignore" button and exits the 30K+ sedan market entirely (sans Fusion Titanium type sedans).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,733 Times in 4,667 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Tau is a bit long in tooth now. Surprised that sales are down? No incentives, no ads? WOW!

I don't know what Alan Mulally did wrong and why he needs spite, except he brought back the Taurus name, which had legs unlike 500.

The 500 was the opposite of the Taurus: Small on the outside, big on the inside.

The Taurus drives nice enough, but it feels like a Rio inside. Maybe Rios have more room.

Taurus is a big sukkah that's tall enough to eat a stand-up lunch off the trunk lid, and from its bulk you'd think it would be like a living room inside. Which it isn't. Maybe a closet.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-18-2015),paul8488 (08-17-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    the FUSION would NOT grow as it is a "one Ford" global car and the global market does NOT want it to grow and I assume the Continental will USE the Taurus chassis SO NO USDM taurus harder case for the Continental + what about the police intercepter program as I assume SOME departments can't OR won't buy a SUV cop car
    Ford could keep the D3 Taurus around specifically for fleet use (like they did with the Crown Victoria). Production volumes would be so low that it wouldn't be hard to keep it in Chicago with the Explorer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

megeebee (08-18-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    Grow, as in sales.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Since Chicago is likely at max capacity, every Taurus (or MKS) that is built costs them an Explorer. I would not be surprised to see Taurus die when the Explorer is replaced simply to free up Chicago to be an Explorer only plant. MKS being replaced with Continental will help with volumes at Chicago, but killing Taurus would help even more.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GMXL For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-19-2015)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,395 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I wonder if Ford did axe Taurus, it would still continue production a la Impala Limited. They have to make a decent penny off Police Interceptor sales, even if PIUs are gaining traction.

If not then Ford will basically hand that market to Charger and Impala, for however long GM wants to build that W-body, and Caprice to a lesser extent.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (08-19-2015)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,541 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I wonder if Ford did axe Taurus, it would still continue production a la Impala Limited. They have to make a decent penny off Police Interceptor sales, even if PIUs are gaining traction.

If not then Ford will basically hand that market to Charger and Impala, for however long GM wants to build that W-body, and Caprice to a lesser extent.
    Last month, Ford sold around 4,000 Taurus and 793 PI Sedans and 544 MKS but in contrast,
    it sold 21,631 Explorers and 2,020 PI Utes. I have a feeling that D3 Taurus, PI Sedan and MKS
    are money for jam, Explorer production is now the main driver and probably set to increase.

Shifting Taurus and MKS/Continental to Flat Rock would open up another 5,500 production for Explorer.
    Last edited by jpd80; 08-18-2015 at 07:09 AM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

unfortunately this is the sad state of things with crossovers being the go to now, large sedans of their price don't really off the consumer anything more or worth paying for that a comparable crossover does.
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,541 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    unfortunately this is the sad state of things with crossovers being the go to now, large sedans of their price don't really off the consumer anything more or worth paying for that a comparable crossover does.
    Exactly, buyers are moving on so mnaufacturers have to consider all options
    with large cars, especially controlling costs going forward, sharing with their
    mid sized brothers is most obvious.

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 753 Posts

Seems like this writing was on the wall the day the Fusion took off . Some one above this post suggested that the Taurus should have never been named Taurus. That the Fusion was a in reality the real Taurus... And it is. The Taurus completely took over Crown Vic duties. The havoc the resulted is this very consideration to oust, the perennial midsize car name that started it all in the modern world. This name shifting always has casualties, or at the very least, ridiculed icons. CTS U should have been an STS. Thank God a flush of all that confusion is coming soon.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiatsoCi For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (08-18-2015),ehaase (08-18-2015),Jesda (08-20-2015),megeebee (08-18-2015)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information