By Design: Lincoln Continental - Page 2

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 96

Thread: By Design: Lincoln Continental

  1. #16
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,600
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Cadillac's most popular car is the XTS. Lincoln clearly wants part of THAT volume, not the ever-contracting Cadillac RWD volume. It's not a knife fight, it's a luxury car volume fight, and Lincoln can't compete on the sport front today, so they're targeting a different segment of the market.
    Cadillac might have volume with cheap FWD cars, but at what cost? Mediocre cars that have a more affordable price? That's not luxury, luxury isn't about compromises. If Cadillac returns to that path, I'll be the first one going to the BMW or Mercedes camp, pure and simple.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,600
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Disagree.

    While he does express his opinions, these are facts:



    And so on.
    The comment on the door handles is his opinion, I actually think they look cool. You see, that's my opinion too.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

    paul8488 (03-20-2016),WaterBoy1 (03-20-2016)

  5. #18
    doh
    doh is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    N.W.Ontario
    Posts
    7,840
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 263 Times in 194 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    This is the writing I'm used to. Fortunately, the people will vote with their bucks.
    Yes I believe this also, and they will continue to vote SRX/MKX. It seems to be where the Full Size Sedan customers have headed, regardless of Brand Loyalties, or Budgets. I don't see the Continental or CT6 being Block Busters.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #19
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 07SIERRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 192 Times in 111 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ruby Red Fusion Titanium

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Most of it here is opinion,there are some facts but most is just his overall opinion. You agree with his opinion, that's fine but it does not make it fact.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 07SIERRA For This Useful Post:

    Al63240 (03-21-2016),Ed753 (03-20-2016)

  9. #20
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,997
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    I thought the concept car was stunning and I am hopeful the production car stays close to the concept car.

    I look forward to seeing the new production car next week at the New York auto show.

    I believe with aWD and the 400 hp tt v6 it should be a winner.

    I like the new Lincoln grill so I disagree with part of the styling analysis already.

    Will report back in a week

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

    Al63240 (03-21-2016)

  11. #21
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,600
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by 07SIERRA View Post
    Most of it here is opinion,there are some facts but most is just his overall opinion. You agree with his opinion, that's fine but it does not make it fact.
    Nice Fusion.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

  12. #22
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,040
    Thanked 8,483 Times in 4,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Ouch! The Fordies are going to get upset.

    Yes, it is an opinion piece, but an opinion of someone schooled in design. However, I never agree with the "experts" forcing us to read "great" literature, such as the drivel called "Why I went to the Woods" by Thoreau. So back to being opinion that happens to agree with mine.

    What a disappointment that an American brand resorts to a cheap knockoff, little better than a second tier Asian brand would do (though Lincoln did a much nicer job). Lincoln deserves better.

    I still question who is going to buy this other than 80 year olds and livery and therefore how it will further the brand.

  13. #23
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,540
    Thanks
    1,526
    Thanked 3,687 Times in 2,392 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    I wonder if some are still looking at both the Continental and CT6 as North American Exclusive products.
    As we know, Chinese have different tastes and the location of those taste buds are called into question..

    Are we seeing a deliberately compromised Continental design, one with a mid pacific flavor?
    Judging by the mixture of styles, there'sa lot of reminders of other cars in there, I have to believe
    that was deliberate and intended to prod lots of different buyers to see what they want to see.
    ...And of course, the critics then go to work Hatcheting any positives that could ever come of it.
    Last edited by jpd80; 03-20-2016 at 07:03 AM.

  14. #24
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,040
    Thanked 8,483 Times in 4,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I wonder if some are still looking at both the Continental and CT6 as North American Exclusive products.
    As we know, Chinese have different tastes and the location of those taste buds are called into question..

    Are we seeing a deliberately compromised Continental design, one with a mid pacific flavor?
    Judging by the mixture of styles, there'sa lot of reminders of other cars in there, I have to believe
    that was deliberate and intended to prod lots of different buyers to see what they want to see.
    ...And of course, the critics then go to work Hatcheting any positives that could ever come of it.
    I get what you are saying, but it also seems like the Chinese are flocking to Western brands in droves. I know a big piece of that is quality, but is part that they want the unique styling of the West and will see through the Chinese-like ripoff style of the Continental? Though on the flip side of the coin is they might like the RR/Bentley look for cheaper.

    And could this Bentley styling work against Lincoln in China? Could the Chinese take this as an insult for an American company (saying we know you like rip-off styling). A risk that they wouldn't have if they developed their own look.

    Either way, the Germans, and to a lesser extent Cadillac, have done well in both China and the USA without resorting to seen-it-before styling.

  15. #25
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,001
    Thanks
    12,451
    Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,863 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Third design language?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of Doom View Post
    Yup. They had the vertical-bar grille on Ford body look 'till about '13, the "Pringles Moustache with really high trunk line" look till a few months ago, and "faux-Bentley" now.

    Pretty directionless.
    Meanwhile Cadillac's highest volume model last month (and presumably this month too) still has the "Wreath & Crest" on the grille..............
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

    2b2 (03-20-2016)

  17. #26
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,001
    Thanks
    12,451
    Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,863 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by blue3231 View Post
    There are few facts in this piece. Styling is a matter of taste...which is opinion...and like bellybuttons, everyone has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Disagree.

    While he does express his opinions, these are facts:

    1. The top and bottom grilles together are a lot like the Lexusí signature spindle, with a painted bar across the pinch point.

    2. The nose puffs up, presumably for pedestrian safety concerns.

    3. This arbitrary little rib pops out of the hood and disappears back into it before the opening gap. Itís weak.

    4. The wipers are tucked away nicely, keeping the front aerodynamically clean.

    5. The fender profile line is quite nice in side view, but it starts so far back on the corner that the carís overall profile is perceived as being unusually short and stumpy.

    6. A curious detail is this notch at the top of the A-pillar, marking a break between the apparently slim A-pillar and obviously thicker cant rail. Not nice.

    7. The protruding, blade-like door handles are odd.

    8. Rising out of the plain, flat surface of the rear door, this pleasant curve defines a not-quite-separate rear fender profile, which again visually shortens the car.

    .............


    And so on.
    But most of those "facts" are pure rubbish; and/or meaningless! Read them, you could nit-pick stupid things like that on ANY car.

    It would be like me saying; "The front of the CT6; with headlights on both the left & right front corners, and brand badge in the center of the grille resembles the popular Toyota Corolla.
    (that is a "fact" right?)
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

    Al63240 (03-21-2016)

  19. #27
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    570
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 184 Times in 77 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    In 1953 there were rumors of a fabulous new Continental, and during that year some Ford people visited the Art Center School, where I was beginning my design education. Gordon Buehrig, one of my heroes, was on that visiting team, so I expected something fabulous. They painted glowing word pictures of what was to come, but when a big side-view rendering of the car was unveiled, I was bitterly disappointed. It was not a particularly pretty shape, the fake spare tire cover was hokey, and when produced (without the Lincoln name), it wasn’t well received, lasting only a couple of years. (It was the most expensive car in the world then, more costly than a Rolls-Royce.)
    I like Cumberford's work, have enjoyed reading him for years. He is not infallible. The above quote, from the linked article in the OP, refers to the Continental Mark II, generally considered the high water mark (no pun intended) for Lincoln. Cumberford's "bitter disappointment" in this case is not corroborated by his peers. So I'll wait to see the car for myself before I take his sainted opinion on the car.








  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

    2b2 (03-20-2016),BlackGTP (03-20-2016),nruggiero (03-20-2016),SP1966 (03-20-2016),Tone (03-20-2016)

  21. #28
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,001
    Thanks
    12,451
    Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,863 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Cadillac might have volume with cheap FWD cars, but at what cost? Mediocre cars that have a more affordable price? That's not luxury, luxury isn't about compromises. If Cadillac returns to that path, I'll be the first one going to the BMW or Mercedes camp, pure and simple.
    It should be noted that for whatever reason; not only has GM just recently pushed back the SOP of the CT6 at Hamtramck, the production for the remainder of the year has been slashed by almost 50%.

    The XTS as Cadillac's current "Large Car" one way or another, has to be a factor in that decision.
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

    2b2 (03-20-2016)

  23. #29
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,040
    Thanked 8,483 Times in 4,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    It should be noted that for whatever reason; not only has GM just recently pushed back the SOP of the CT6 at Hamtramck, the production for the remainder of the year has been slashed by almost 50%.

    The XTS as Cadillac's current "Large Car" one way or another, has to be a factor in that decision.
    So to turn the topic back to Lincoln in China, Lincoln, just like Cadillac has to go up against the Germans, which is their real competition (I'm assuming in China "Cadillac vs. Lincoln and ignore the Germans" is meaningless). In China, Lincoln and Caddy are on equal footing, meaning that they don't have ruined reputations, they just have reputations to build. So you think Lincoln going in on a budget (fwd & seen it before styling) is the best way to build a long term luxury car reputation?

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    The Voice of Doom (03-20-2016)

  25. #30
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,600
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

    Re: By Design: Lincoln Continental

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    It should be noted that for whatever reason; not only has GM just recently pushed back the SOP of the CT6 at Hamtramck, the production for the remainder of the year has been slashed by almost 50%.

    The XTS as Cadillac's current "Large Car" one way or another, has to be a factor in that decision.
    XTS has a lot of fleet so it's going to sell good. It's a nice car and I'm in the camp that it should stay in the lineup because it can sell to the livery and older buyers with good profits. That said, it does not represent Cadillac's top and shouldn't be a problem for the CT6 to exist. The CT6 is more halo than volume seeker, it's a car that ups the prestige of the brand so that those XT5s and other FWD crossovers can sell in good quantities without people thinking they bought an almost luxury product.

    Lots of people's minds are changing towards Cadillac, Go to the BMW, Mercedes , and Porsche Forums. Cadillac is gaining respect in the luxury arena, that's a big thing if you are familiar to this segment. Sales might not look good on papers, but these customers don't care how expensive the car is so they pay. That's why Cadillac's ATPs are up, people are paying more to have a Cadillac and that's a good thing for the books.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

  26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2